Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. errandfox

errandfox

I've set up my game with UFPS and inventory pro and it already does this? I think he's getting mixed up with the weapon index and weapon id, they're not the same thing, the weapon index is to find the weapon that is childed to the fp camera, the id is to do with the default inventory which is bypassed when using inventory pro integration.

At the moment, I have about 20 weapons/tools childed to the fps camera. They just have weapon names, no weapon id numbers. When I pickup a weapon or tool in my game, it goes into the inventory. When I drag it to the hotbar/skillbar, in any order, I can press the number on the skillbar and the right weapon/tool loads. It already works flawlessly.

2. Carmexx

Carmexx

Hi Jorisshh, I read through that link - I am none the wiser on how to create a skill, really need an end to end example of how to add a skill, to a bar, trigger code etc etc - any chance of adding this to the next update as a demo ?

3. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yeah that's what I thought :). Well per slot control over the weapon index would be a nice to have if you for example want to do 1 slot for primary weapons and 1 for sidearms.

4. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yeah I can do that, can you add a task at bitbucket so I won't forget? :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

That would be awesome, thanks.

6. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

In future versions can you have the demos zipped up into their own .unitypackage file included with the asset? It would make importing less problematic since there would be fewer files if you don't need the demos similar to how some of the other big assets do it (like Dialogue System).

Unity's unzipping / importing system is kinda dodgy and even if you unclick the files it can still cause the import to go sideways in a big project (presumably it unzips everything before deciding which to import or something).

Though importing this even into an empty project crashes Unity on my machine (i7/16gigs/win 8.1).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  7. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. Write methods of treatment to inventory on these requests .
    1 ) How to access the items in the inventory (by ID, for example) .
    2 ) Removal of the object from the inventory .
    3 ) Check the availability of items in the inventory .
    4 ) Check the number of inventory items .

8. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm... yeah I could do that but because Inventory Pro is so versatile I want to put a lot of emphasis on the demos, making a custom package out of it would only abstract that :(

I understand your point though the Unity asset workflow is terrible for both the users and developers :p

Does Unity always try to import all demo files, even though they haven't changed? Like the models for example?

9. jorisshh

jorisshh

1. For this you can use LINQ. All collections are IEnumerable, meaning that you can do cool LINQ expression such as:
    myCollection.FirstOrDefault(o => o.item != null && o.item.ID == myID); // Where myID is the itemID you're looking for.

2. You can use either InventoryManager.RemoveItem() or myCollection.RemoveItem().

3. You can do so by calling InventoryManager.GetItemCount() or myCollection.GetItemCount(), Some nice little tips and tricks for collections here: http://devdog.nl/documentation/collection-tips-and-tricks/ including item availability.

4. Not a 100% sure what you mean, maybe the amount of empty / filled slots?

A thing to note, there's inventories and collections. For example, the InventoryManager.AddItem() considers all inventories (each player can have multiple), myCollection.AddItem() only considers a single collection.

10. Alex3333

Alex3333

Which script is necessary to address the first question ? You can more details about it. What's my collection ?

11. Alex3333

Alex3333

And another question. I can not understand how to create and use LINQ

12. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Yep if it crashes your project on import it will crash it every time no matter the changes. Your "upgrade video" workflow tries to work around it but its not a good solution. I don't see how it would make the demos any more abstract if it was a one click extract from inside the asset's directory. This is a pretty common solution for a lot of large assets so you don't end up trying to cram in so many files at once.

13. Alex3333

Alex3333

I have an error or equipment not already done ? In ufps if you die or kill you , then all the objects after the spawn remain in the player's inventory .- ( ( ( . And I told you about a bug with crafting player! . Will it be updated ?

14. jorisshh

jorisshh

Fair enough :), I'll package the demo's for the next update cycle ( https://bitbucket.org/jjahuijbregts/inventorypro/issues/132/create-demosunitypackage-instead-of )

15. jorisshh

jorisshh

In order to use LINQ you'll have to include the linq namespace (using System.Linq )

16. jorisshh

jorisshh

The items remaining in the inventory isn't really a bug, some people might want to keep them there, or maybe you only lose a small set of items, etc. So this is left open to your own interpretation.

As for the crafting, please help refresh my memory :p ? Did I create a Bitbucket task?

17. Alex3333

Alex3333

How to make sure that all items the player remained in the bag after the death of the player ?? After spawn in the player's inventory was nothing. I want it badly . I use AFPS multieplayer. Regarding the craft . I have been asked to remind you about it. When the craft is in the player and in the separate building . If a player is fit to object crafting , and uses , and then open the crafting of a player , the player will not craft the player and craft of the object .

18. Alex3333

Alex3333

How to check whether or not there is a subject currently in the player 's inventory ? How to check there is no such thing at all? I need to put a runtime object, which is a player in the inventory on the map . Write a line of code yourself. About link to me is absolutely not clear.

19. Carmexx

Carmexx

Hi Jorisshh,

Some questions.

1) How can I reset a global cooldown of an item OR all items, lets say I click an ability, it has a 20 second cooldown, I click a second ability it has a 15 second cooldown - but I have a third ability I can use say once per 3 minutes, that lets me reset all cooldowns to zero, how would I reset an individual cooldown or all cooldowns to zero?

2) I notice that different categories of items do not share cooldowns, but is it possible to have a minimum cooldown of 1 second regardless of categories, so that no matter what its not possible to trigger two abilities faster than 1 second? So a global inventory automatic cooldown of 1 second.

3) Lets say I have two abilities in two categories, a fireball ability and an iceball ability - I want them in two separate categories, fire and ice. if I make the fireball have a 5 second cooldown, and the iceball a 7 second cooldown - I note that i can press both abilities at the same time. My question is that if I am casting one ability, and lets say the cast time is 2 seconds - during that cast time, I cannot press another button, until the cast has gone off - how would one do that ?

I'm just asking what in your code controls these coodlowns and if possible where in your code to make amendments to modify the behavior.

Kind Regards

20. jorisshh

jorisshh

1. The cooldowns for categories are saved inside the category, which you can access like this:
    foreach (var category in ItemManager.instance.itemCategories)
    {
    category.lastUsageTime = 0.0f; // Reset
    }

2. Currently not supported but not to hard to add yourself. There are actually item use conditionals that you can easily apply to all items in your game. ( http://devdog.nl/documentation/custom-item-use-conditions/ ).

With an item use condition you can add your own rules when an item is allowed to be used. Simply add a timer here to make sure you can't use an item within a second of the last usage.

3. Same as 2. Simply create a rule set for the items and use timers to define cast times. For example Time.timeSinceLevelLoad can be used to 'set' a start time. If the next item used is within 2 seconds of the timeSinceLevelLoad simply return false to dis-allow the item usage :)

21. jorisshh

jorisshh

To grab item count you can use InventoryManager.GetItemCount() or collection.GetItemCount(), of course if there are 0 items there are none. And using Add / Remove you can ... well, add and remove the items from the collection / inventories.

22. jorisshh

jorisshh

It's that lovely time again :)

V2.3 - Dialogue system, property restrictions, new item type and a lot more!
    Features:
    - Dialogue system support (beta)
    - Allow multiple reward items for crafting (old rewards will have to be re-applied)
    - Properties are renewed and values will have to be re-added.
    - Editor improvement, objects can now be duplicated.
    - New item type pouch (item that can be extracted)
    - New action verification system to simulate removing / adding items to the inventory. (Exmaple, if a slot is cleared when the - craft succeeds the inventory isn't considered full, and the cleared slot will be used to store the reward item(s)).
    - Database path is now saved with project folder name - This way the save folder isn't shared between projects. ( Save folders - will have to be re-set)
    - New Audio system with volumes & pools (audio clips will have to be re-added)
    - AudioMixerGroup support for all Audio sound
    - Item restriction with properties and property use reduction (reduce stat whenever using an item) & restrict an item to be used - if a stat value isn't met (example, not enough strength / level to equip an item).
    - Crafting restrictions with properties (example, you need at least 10 strength to craft this item.)
    - Stacking updates (stack perferred over new slot)
    - Small stacks are depleted before large ones
    - plyGame scene flow support
    - IItemContainer serialization support (save treasure chests, vendors, lootables)
    - Itemdatabase now accessable through managers, also in the editors (ItemManager.database).
    - PlayMaker custom editor for inventory items (Updated GetItemCount)
    - Screen space camera support (beta), all 3 UI types are now supported.
    - Setup wizard now scans properties for invalid setups
    - Quite a bit of clean up

Fixes:
    - Playmaker actions fixed, Finish() wasn't called.
    - Rarity now abides order in filters instead of ID's
    - Filter editor now uses ID's instead of indexes
    - Only active triggerers are now considered in the raycasting and hovering
    - Crafting check before rewarding player to verify if items are still available in the inventory.
    - PropertyLookup cleanup
    - Playmaker action fixes - Return value is now a specifc type, and not a FsmVar
    - Manually defined items in lootable object are now instantiated (instance items)
    - Fix double tapping considered long press
    - EasySave2 collection save fix
    - Triggers to Start instead of Awake() for instantiated objects.
    - Object triggerer creates instance item fix
    - Reset transform fixes
    - Attribute [InventoryStat] now works in stats again
    - plyGame stats fixed
    - Warning when trying to create an item when the asset save folder isn't set properly

Keep in mind that property values, audio clips and crafting reward items will have to be re-added.

23. Alex3333

Alex3333

how do you know that in a collection of objects of the object with ID, no ?
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryManager.Find (UInt32 itemID, Boolean checkBank) (at Assets / InventorySystem / Scripts / Managers / InventoryManager.cs: 193 )

Thanks for all the answers to the questions !

24. Carmexx

Carmexx

great thanks, got some of it working, working on the rest, cheers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  25. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Hi there jorisshh (can I call you Joris for short?),

I'm heavily looking at purchasing the pro version for the game we're currently working on (JRPG style inspired by Harvest Moon/Rune Factory series) as it looks like it would save us a tremendous amount of time (We have 2.5 (very)part time developers, me included). I have a couple of questions though before getting too deep into analysis. Apologies if these have already been asked somewhere in the mire of pages here.

1. Is the source code included? If not is this something you'd be open to discussing proper licensing for? That's our #1 requirement for any assets (due to the inevitability that our priorities for fixing/implementing features are likely to differ from yours).
    2. Is it relatively easy/possible to change the data source? Instead of using a design-time DB we're opting to use XML files to enable some basic modding (re-balancing of stats for items, adding new items, etc...) so we'd need to load item data at run-time.
    3. How difficult would it be/is it possible to change interactions (say, re-assigning right click to open up an info page instead of using for example)?
    4. I'm pretty sure the answer is "pretty easy" from what I saw in the documentation, but a lot of our stats for items are going to be modified dynamically on item generation at instantiation time (the values added from XML are more of a baseline and will have a dash of RNG as well as taking into account crafting skills to determine final results. Buy/Sell values will also change as we're implementing a supply/demand based economy simulation). Is this something easily supported?
    Thanks much for any answers you can give! This so far seems like the perfect asset to suite our needs. Massive kudos.

26. jorisshh

jorisshh

There's most likely an empty object in your manager's collections. Are there any other warnings / errors when starting the game? Please check your InventoryPlayer component and make sure there are no empty fields in the inventories list.

27. jorisshh

jorisshh

Well, that is my real name, so yes, yes you can :)

Is the source code included? If not is this something you'd be open to discussing proper licensing for? That's our #1 requirement for any assets (due to the inevitability that our priorities for fixing/implementing features are likely to differ from yours).
    Yes of course, the full source code is available, no compiled binaries. All concept based scripts are in the Demo's folder to demonstrate the possibilities of the system.

Is it relatively easy/possible to change the data source? Instead of using a design-time DB we're opting to use XML files to enable some basic modding (re-balancing of stats for items, adding new items, etc...) so we'd need to load item data at run-time.
    The easiest way to do this would be to create a loader that imports the XML file and creates inventory items and adds these to the database. Not to worry, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

Assuming the following XML structure, you could do something like:
    <items>
    <item>
    <ID>1</ID>
    <name>Apple</name>
    <icon>Resources/Apple</icon>
    <itemType>ConsumableInventoryItem</itemType>
    </item>
    </items>

Then, in your application, simply deserialize the XML file and create new gameObjects, attach the component based on type (Type.GetType(itemType)), and Unity will handle the rest.

Finally grab all the newly created items in a list / array and place them in the database. Of course, you should do this on Awake and set the script execution order to run before all managers, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How difficult would it be/is it possible to change interactions (say, re-assigning right click to open up an info page instead of using for example)?
    A context menu is already available ( http://devdog.nl/documentation/context-menu/ ) is this what you mean?
    If not, you can also create custom wrappers (UI wrappers) that handle the UI behavior / input such as clicking, tapping, etc. ( http://devdog.nl/documentation/creating-a-new-wrapper/ )

I'm pretty sure the answer is "pretty easy" from what I saw in the documentation, but a lot of our stats for items are going to be modified dynamically on item generation at instantiation time (the values added from XML are more of a baseline and will have a dash of RNG as well as taking into account crafting skills to determine final results. Buy/Sell values will also change as we're implementing a supply/demand based economy simulation). Is this something easily supported?
    All possible as far as I can tell :). It wouldn't be to hard, but likely quite a bit of work. The buy / sell value can either be modified on the vendor itself for all items, or you can change the buy / sell value on the item itself, which would of course change it for all vendors.

Adding some RNG while generating the items would be an easy one, as you're already creating them at runtime anyway.

Hope this cleared some things up, if not you know where to find me :)

28. jorisshh

jorisshh

More UI Designs

Hey guys, I'm planning on creating some more UI designs for Inventory Pro as a separate asset, and would like some feedback on possible designs :)
    • What kind of genre based UI design would you like to see? + Examples please
    • Mobile vs PC vs Console?
    • Know any games with absolutely amazing UI designs?
    • What would you consider to be a good price for a complete UI design integrated in Inventory Pro?
    Any feedback is welcome :)

29. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I am working on a horror/survival title. So a UI theme for that would be my first wish.

I would pay $5.00-$7.50 for a full IP UI theme.

jorisshh likes this.
  30. thedreamer

thedreamer

More UI Designs is great I wanted it for a long time

I need mobile/RPG/RTS UI

jorisshh likes this.
  31. TonyLi

TonyLi

Desktop quality fantasy and sci-fi are always in demand. $15 is a fair price. Animation would be a nice touch, such as a medieval scroll unrolling from the top of the screen, or a translucent sci-fi panel sliding in from an edge.

TimeCastle, jorisshh and hopeful like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

I agree with Tony, fantasy and Sci Fi, animation would make yours stand out. I would think a full UI system that works for Inventory Pro would be worth a decent price. We have our artwork already but if your system was one that allowed us to easy add our own artwork, I would pay at least $50 for it, especially if it has some simple animations, possibly more. It would save us time, which is always worth money.

33. jorisshh

jorisshh

Whoop, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll start with a sci-fi based design as it's something I haven't done before :)

Also animations shouldn't be a problem as I've created an animation framework when I did the controller support:

TonyLi and Teila like this.
  34. danreid70

danreid70

Hm... Or how about a space fleet "inventory"? Using spaceships as inventory items, and instead of a character as your player, use a mothership and instead of equip panel items, slots for escort spaceships? I'm about to start out something like that, and at the point where I want to see how versatile the character part is.

In particular, I want to try creating a fleet with dynamic slots in character equipable UI panel, allowing for more slots at higher ranks, or something similar.(i.e., instead of 2 "hands", x number of fighter slots -- instead of "torso", x number of frigates, etc)... If that makes sense?

Completely different use of inventory pro than just a character inventory. I think it's doable. It would be awesome to see a demo of how you would do it "correctly", rather than me bandaiding it together wrong and finding out there's a more "perfect" approach... :)

Awesome asset, by the way! I keep checking back here daily so I'm all set to go once I settle in for my winter programming frenzy... Lol

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  35. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Thanks much for the quick reply! I'll be bringing this to my other co-founders tonight to see if I can get a spike for more in depth checking of your awesome inventory system tonight (always do a spike before buying something, learned that lesson before lol).

36. jorisshh

jorisshh

Started reading and thought... 'wait a minute didn't I help someone with this a while back....?'. Of course an interesting concept to try out, and certainly possible, but I'm afraid it isn't very applicable to many users :)

Sci-fi is a fun one thought, and perhaps even useful for your ship UI :D

danreid70 likes this.
  37. danreid70

danreid70

Joris, I just skimmed through this forum thread and your YouTube tutorials again - and realized a few things:
    1) the quality of your support is outstanding!
    2) your tutorials are top notch: it's amazing how powerful this system is, and it seems you cover every possible use of this system in a way that "just plain makes sense"
    3) there aren't many asset developers out there who develop to this level of quality and dedication (there are a few, but it's a very elite list) :)

My point being: just going through the tutorials, I have a skeleton of a game-plan on how I can use inventory pro "out of the box" as a fleet control system... Oh, of course some cosmetic customization, but no code changes necessary that wouldn't be required even as a fantasy character based game building right off the demo.

This system is VERY robust!

And to top it off, my plan to use this and tie in with Mr Dudes WordPress (WUData) asset, it actually looks to be even easier than I'd first thought... I'm "rough drafting" some pseudo-code on how it all ties together, and it's remarkable how simple it looks! (Yah, I say that now - let's see how my code looks a month from now lol!!!)

Anyway - just want to say thank you for this excellent asset! Looking forward to seeing your sci-fi UI style! I'm sure I'll want it! :)

jorisshh likes this.
  38. Regularry

Regularry

Similar to what Teila said above, I would be more interested in something like a template pack designed for adding our own artwork to rather than specific themes.

This Pinterest board might be handy for research:
    https://www.pinterest.com/limbyrne/user-interfaces/

Thank you for creating what is surely one of the best assets in the store!

danreid70 likes this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

I'm pretty sure I'll do up my own UI, but I do appreciate having the animations and window functionality that comes with the pack. It makes it easier to get started. :)

BTW, people wanting to do their own UI might find some of the elements in this free Unity UI pack helpful:
    https://bitbucket.org/ddreaper/unity-ui-extensions

40. Duffer123

Duffer123

1)How do I create chests with other items in - is it the new itempouch?

2)Also can I control what's in a bag or chest with more than just rarity?

3)How do I drop items?

41. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inventory Pro V2.3 actually has a new percentage item generator, named the InventoryItemPercentageContainerGenerator component.

This allows you to add a list of items pared with a percentage for generation. Also, all containers (lootables, chests, pouches, vendors) can be used in combination with generators.

Also can I control what's in a bag or chest with more than just rarity?
    Sure thing, the InventoryItemContainerGenerator allows you to filter based on properties, category, rarity, etc.

How do I drop items?
    Do you mean using code? If so, you can just call the item's Drop() method, and that's all there's to it.

42. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jorisshh ,

Excellent. Thanks. Presume all save the drop is in the inventory pro manager? Is there a playmaker action for dropping items?

Also, would it be possible to have an item property with a string value? Or as a list? Ie. Excluded classes, list of attributes?

43. jorisshh

jorisshh

Excellent. Thanks. Presume all save the drop is in the inventory pro manager? Is there a playmaker action for dropping items?
    Save drop?
    There is in fact an drop action for PlayMaker ( Action - DropThisItem )

Also, would it be possible to have an item property with a string value? Or as a list? Ie. Excluded classes, list of attributes?
    Sure thing, properties can have either string or single (float, int, uint, etc) values. When the value is a string it won't be considered for the stats.

Lists aren't currently supported, if you'd like to exclude certain factions or usages you can either add use conditions ( http://devdog.nl/documentation/custom-item-use-conditions/ ). Or add properties that aren't shown in the UI (don't use them in player stats), and filter inside your own system on those properties.

44. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jorisshh ,
    Thanks again.

Didn't realise you could give properties string values (if not stat). Could maybe leave say a weapon with a damage value as a dice throw and have my system interpret...

Can i use Playmaker to add or take away properties of items as instances as opposed to the core items in the database. For instance, I slot in a fire crystal in player 1's longsword and that adds a property to that instance of longsword in his inventory only of say fire damage 1?

I'm thinking here of how you go about upgrading items to various variations (with different or additional properties) without having to create a core version of every variant in the item database.

Also, do I have to copy the item database scene to scene or can you have just the one core item database scene to scene.?

Sorry about all the questions -as you can see I am just starting to dig deeper after watching the tutorial vids etc...

45. jorisshh

jorisshh

Getting started

As you've probably guessed from the images, I've started working on the sci-fi design and decided to share some progress :)

(Background rotates, might be hard to see in gif)

Full-screen inventroy with item info. The object on the right is the item model and can be rotated (will add indicators for this). Also, inventory search and orderable lists.
    The UI can also be used non-full-screen if so desired :)

(This is just the design, no working elements just yet..)

And finally, the colors will be customizable right from the editor, so if you prefer a blue layout, no problem.

Keep in mind that these are only prototypes, and are likely to change

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    danreid70 likes this.
  46. jorisshh

jorisshh

Can i use Playmaker to add or take away properties of items as instances as opposed to the core items in the database. For instance, I slot in a fire crystal in player 1's longsword and that adds a property to that instance of longsword in his inventory only of say fire damage 1?
    There isn't a PlayMaker action for this, also properties of items aren't (currently) saved, so the progress would be lost. Additionally you could do a partial class or custom item type ( http://devdog.nl/documentation/creating-a-custom-item-type/ ) and add a slot there. Using the new serializers you can save / load the extra 'crystal slot'.

I'm thinking here of how you go about upgrading items to various variations (with different or additional properties) without having to create a core version of every variant in the item database.
    This isn't currently supported as the itemID's are saved in the database to later look them up again. As said before, properties aren't currently saved.

I can add this feature in another update, however this could also cause problems. For example, if the game updates an item's properties and a player already has properties stored in their save file the game creators would never be able to modify those.

47. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jorisshh,
    We could possibly use a sub item database?

48. jorisshh

jorisshh

49. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon . There is an error how to solve it ? ? What I forgot to do after the update ? NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of the object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.UI.DraggableWindow.Awake () ( when assets / InventorySystem / Scripts / Modules / dragging / DraggableWindow.cs: 68 )

50. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I really like this. I want it now! :) Very clean looking. Only change might be to make the Inventory windows more opaque (or that's an option).
    I can see how this would be awesome for Fantasy as well especially if you could customize the UI for the lines and swap out the fonts.