Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

just tested uma integration found a bug: if you right clic on an equipable uma item it correctly update the Uma character equipment however if you drag and drop the same uma item to equip slot it does not update

also when i try to equip the same uma boot that is already equiped got this error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Integration.UMA.UMAEquippableInventoryItem.Equip (Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryEquippableField equipSlot, Devdog.InventorySystem.CharacterUI equipTo) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Integration/UMA/Items/UMAEquippableInventoryItem.cs:90)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.EquippableInventoryItem.Use () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/EquippableInventoryItem.cs:223)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.TriggerUse () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:466)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.CheckMobileInput (MobileUIActions tap, EventType eventUsed, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:301)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.OnTap (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData, EventType eventUsed) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:319)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.OnPointerUp (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:254)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerUpHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:45)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerUpHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:269)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

2. Teila

Teila

Is the version out with the UMA integration? I do not see it on the asset store so confused. The one I see was released a while ago.

3. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

yes the 2.2.2 last version have UMA integration, you need to import inventory, import UMA 2, in integrations window set to use UMA, then the Uma scene of inventory should work

4. Teila

Teila

Oh, it came out a couple of days ago! How did I miss that. :) Thank you.

5. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Yep, partial classes aren't the fix to everything. I think especially everything in EquippableInventoryItem / InventoryItemBase should be marked virtual. The performance overhead of virtual calls is pretty insignificant especially compared to all the linq scattered through this if that's the concern.

Also, hitting a bug in the newest version. I'm not running mobile and don't expect to but I noticed hotbars became unclickable. Checking through to what was stopping it I tracked it to this line:

bool tapped = OnTap(eventData, InventoryActionInput.EventType.OnPointerUp);

In ActionInputs AlwaysTriggerMobile is false and otherwise set to the default values.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah thanks for the message, could you please create a bug report on the bitbucket issue tracker? ( link's on the first page)

7. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks could you make a issue at bitbucket as well? Currently on vacation and got no charger for my laptop :/

8. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yep you're right, please create an issue at bitbucket and I'll fix it as soon as I get home :)

9. gilley033

gilley033

That's awesome, I'll go through and try to see which place I think could be improved in this area. Really though, it's not such a big deal, since for the most part you can just take the source code and create a new script with whatever changes you need made. Great work on this package. Definitely getting a 5 star rating from me!

10. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is there a way to make empty inventory slot alpha 0 ? i tried to use the 2 material but dont know what their values change.

11. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thank you kind sir ^^. I thing that just came to mind is, the formatting of properties in for example the item's tooltip can be changed by adjusting the GetInfo() method from the InventoryItemBase. For example, you create a new script, implement the InventoryItemBase and overriding the GetInfo() method you can format the properties any way you like.

And finally, in version 2.2.1 ( I think... ) I added formatting for properties as well. It's only a string.Format(), but it allows for quite a bit of customization. ( http://blog.stevex.net/string-formatting-in-csharp/ )

12. jorisshh

jorisshh

Not entirely sure I'm following? The materials are swapped and used for reference collections. For example, the skillbar can use references and sums. When you use the reference + the sums and the sum is 0 you can show a different material. For example, the grayed out one, indicating the stack is depleted, however the reference will remain.

13. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

on all my Skill/equip slot i duplicate the "Icon" slot into "background" that way its much easier to do icons would it be possible to have the Icon slot invisible when its empty ? right now i just display a big white sprite

14. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yeah sure thing, you can use unity's material features: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material.SetColor.html
    Not sure if it's SetColor with an AlphaChannel or if there's a separate _Opacity (or something similar) field. Although it's likely the Alpha channel :)

15. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

also second problem: i have 4 equips slot + skill bar with 4 slot, SyncCollection.cs on CharacterWindow to sync my skillbar, so when i equip it on its directly set on skill bar, but the hotkey do not fire "Use"

Code (CSharp):
    1. public partial class EquippableInventoryWeapon : EquippableInventoryItem
    2.     {
    4.         public override int Use ()
    5.         {
    6.             Debug.Log (name); // does not fire
    7.             return base.Use ();
    8.         }
    9.     }

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  16. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm... is "Use references" enabled? Syncing to reference based collections is a bit of a problem, because the syncing currently sets the item directly, instead of setting a reference. It's something I still have to add. If you create a task at BitBucket I'll add it to the next update :)

17. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

ok will add that thanks, im a bit blocked by the design as i load my UI in a first scene and use DontDestroyOnLoad so my second scene do not have _managers when i edit it, i tried to place Crafting station but on Crafting Triggerer, i cant set Crafting category because there is no manager in the scene, what is my solution ?

Edit : nevermind i did this:

public bool useID = false;
    public int CraftID = 0;

public int craftingCategoryID = 0; //Whatcategorycanwecraftfrom?
    protected InventoryCraftingCategory category
    {
    get
    {
    if(useID)
    return ItemManager.instance.craftingCategories[CraftID];
    return ItemManager.instance.craftingCategories[craftingCategoryID];
    }
    }

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  18. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

we made this little prototype in less than 6 days, 50 % of the job was done by Jorish indirectly with his inventory system!

we didnt want to use directly crafting system, but instead player receive random loots during mission they can exchange loots to a trader at blackmarket ( which is crafting disguised)

MIK3K, XPAction, TRoNDaNeflin and 3 others like this.
  19. jorisshh

jorisshh

Woh :D Awesome job mate, mind if I put this on this forum's front page's "Made with inventory pro" :) ?

20. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

sure, i will be able to give you better screen in few days anyway right now its looking very WIP

Im starting to setup MeshBinding with item equip, when i equip a weapon it correctly appear into the equip transform reference however its scale is 0,0,0 . I cant find anywhere to set the scale in inventory editor, i believe its a bug ?

item prefab scale is 1,1,1

21. Alex3333

Alex3333

How to fix it ?
    Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/Editor/ObjectTriggererEditor.cs(9,18): error CS0101: The namespace `Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors' already contains a definition for `ObjectTriggererEditor'

22. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

this is because you probably imported an update, so have duplicate script, search for Object TriggererEditor and delete the duplicate, but ideally if you do not added content in the Inventory folder, delete it then update.

How can we use InventoryDragAccepter on SkillBarUI?
    i have a warning :
    InventoryDragAccepter has a collection, but collection does not implement IInventoryDragAccepter!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)

and an error when i try to drag an object:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.UI.InventoryDragAccepter.TryShow () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Dragging/InventoryDragAccepter.cs:115)

if i add interface like this: publicpartialclassSkillbarUI : ItemCollectionBase, IInventoryDragAccepter
    it throw me many errors

23. jorisshh

jorisshh

The IInventoryDragAccepter requires you to implement 2 methods that define the behavior for that specific collection. For example, the characterUI has as a behaviour to highlight whenever a drag starts and to equip when dropped. The vendor doesn't do anything when the drag starts, but sells the item whenever dropped on the vendor collection.

Not entirely sure why you want to add a drag accepter to the skillbar, it's like a substitute / specific zone where items can be dropped in order to activate a specific action, like dropping it in a trash bin to destroy it or something along these lines. Dragging from collection to collection should work out of the box. (assuming the item type is allowed and all.. )

But to answer your question, you were right to implement the IInventoryDragAccepter, but you'll also need to implement the interface's methods.
    ::

Code (CSharp):
    1.  /// <summary>
    2.         /// Check if the drag accepter can accept this specific item
    3.         /// </summary>
    4.         /// <param name="item"></param>
    5.         /// <returns></returns>
    6.         bool AcceptsDragItem(InventoryItemBase item);
    8.         /// <summary>
    9.         /// Accept the item
    10.         /// </summary>
    11.         /// <returns></returns>
    12.         bool AcceptDragItem(InventoryItemBase item);
    The AcceptsDragItem(item) checks if the item that is being dragged is accepted in this drag accepter, AcceptDragItem() accepts or denies the item when the item is dropped on the object and of course handles the requested behavior once the item is dropped onto it.

24. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

thanks, i just encountered an other problem:

i extend EquipableItem:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public partial class EquippableInventoryWeapon : EquippableInventoryItem
    2.     {
    3.         public int GunID;
    5.         public override bool Equip (InventoryEquippableField equipSlot, CharacterUI equipTo)
    6.         {
    7.             Debug.Log ("isEquipped");
    8.             Manager.instance.EquipWeapon (GunID);
    9.             return base.Equip (equipSlot, equipTo);
    10.         }
    13.         public override bool UnEquip (bool wasUsed)
    14.         {
    15.             bool unEquipped = base.UnEquip (wasUsed);
    16.             Debug.Log ("is unEquipped");
    17.             Debug.Log (wasUsed);
    18.             Manager.instance.UnEquipWeapon ();
    19.             return unEquipped;
    20.         }
    22.     }
    Left click on item: Equiped Event fired
    Left click on item to remove it from equip slot: UnEquip event Fired
    until here it work fine!
    when i drag the item on my Equip slot: Equiped Event
    when i drag out my item from Equip slot: Unequiped Event not fired

25. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I figured out my earlier problem with Tapped. It actually wasn't the problem, but instead in InventoryUIItemWrapperKeyTrigger when "var found = InventoryManager.Find(item.ID, false);" was called nothing was ever returned. Not sure why but I just wrote my own key trigger wrapper and its working fine.

Any chance you could add a third option to InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.Step2() of "Empty" that is just an empty gameobject instead of the Cube primitive? I'm not sure I see a way to insert that logic otherwise

The mesh renderer/filter/etc is pointless for me as I have some items that are just icons without any rendering. This also means I don't need the rigidbody or colliders but I see I can change ItemEditor for that (I handle dropped objects custom).

26. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yep sure thing I can do that, could you please make a task at bitbucket, I'll forget it otherwise :)

27. takapi

takapi

hi, jorisshh.
    I'd like to ask you a favor.
    Would you like to fix this?

28. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm... Bit more info please :p ? A good template to formulate a bug:

Versions
    The version of Inventory Pro you're using ( You can see this in the asset store )

Bug Description

A concise description of what the problem is. Pure description, no narrative or conversational language.

Severity

Trivial, Minor, Major, or Catastrophic

Steps to Reproduce

1. Step by step instructions on how to reproduce this bug.

2. Do not assume anything, the more detailed your list of instructions, the easier it is for the developer to track down the problem!

Actual Behavior

Type what happens when you follow the instructions. This is the manifestation of the bug.

Expected Behavior

Type what you expected to happen when you followed the instructions. This is important, because you may have misunderstood something or missed a step, and knowing what you expected to see will help the developer recognize that.

29. takapi

takapi

hi, jorisshh.
    When the windows overlap, a description of the item of the lowest layer in the inventory window is displayed.
    Examples of screen shots, description of Gloves in the inventory is displayed.

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah got it, could you please create a bug report at https://bitbucket.org/jjahuijbregts/inventorypro/issues just so I wont forget (currently on vacation, back the 22nd)

31. JJSS

JJSS

Hi! Is this in the latest version of the store? (is not working for me, but I'm not sure if it is the same error). Also, do you have a tutorial on how to configure collision pickup ?

32. jorisshh

jorisshh

This should indeed work, what's not working for you, also, does doe the demo scene work? Any warnings or errors?

33. jorisshh

jorisshh

Guess who's back :D

Like a total geek and addictive programmer I've already started programming again :)

Because the documentation is lacking behind and I want to polish everything up I have a few simple questions:

• I'll be redoing the video tutorials, would this suffice or should there also be written tutorials ( exactly the same as the video tutorials, but then written ).
    • Would short video ( ~5min ) video tutorials on coding / configuration interest anyone?
    • What are you currently missing in the documentation?
    • Do you know any great examples of really good documentation?

twobob, Teila and TRoNDaNeflin like this.
  34. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I think video tutorials should suffice as long as they are narrated. No need to have the same thing in text format. This obviously doesn't mean that a manual isn't needed; just that a written tutorial isn't needed if there is a video.

I think short videos are some of the best. They get across something quickly that generally saves the viewer a lot of time doing something else that isn't proper/efficient. Again, don't just click on the screen while creative commons techno music plays, actually tell us what you are doing.

I must confess I grabbed your asset because I will need it for my current project, but I am not to that stage yet, so I haven't looked at the current docos.

As to your last question, unfortunately no. Documentation seems to be something ever developer (myself included) needs to improve upon.

35. Teila

Teila

Environment Gator. I don't even own it but read the documents and wish I did. :)

I prefer text. That way I can print it off and read it away from the computer or look things up if I am confused. Videos are fabulous but not a substitute for a text document. You will save a lot of questions if you have written docs.

hopeful likes this.
  36. hopeful

hopeful

When it comes to documentation, people need it for two kinds of things: 1) reference, and 2) getting the concept. Written documents should be better than video if you're trying to look something up, and video should be better at communicating the intended workflow, both broadly and - if there's tricky stuff - in detail. Some things are best communicated by seeing it.

I also like the idea of very short videos that get right at the point, explaining why you want to do something in a particular way, and then showing it. So 2 min videos > 15 minute videos, generally speaking.

jorisshh and Teila like this.
  37. hopeful

hopeful

Welcome back! :D

I think the documentation requests will become more specific as the features are filled out and the bugs are squashed.

Teila likes this.
  38. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks guys this helps a lot :D I think I'll redo all video tutorials and create short (several minute) videos (dubbed of course :p). Also I'll add reference material, including small guides. However I'll drop the complete tutorials from the written documentation.

The most impressive documentation I came across myself is: http://rotorz.com/tilesystem/guide absolutely brilliant documentation :)

39. hopeful

hopeful

Here are some ideas for short introductory videos, thinking about it from the standpoint of someone who just bought the system and is trying to figure out how to use it. Some of my comments may not make sense, as I keep getting pulled away to do other things (modeling, animation, character controller, shaders, and so on) and as I return to inventory I have to keep re-learning what's going on with Inventory System. ;)

Concepts:

What is it? Inventory System Pro is designed to keep track of all the different things that might be in game inventory, including the player's current inventory, and present it to the player graphically using windows. It is made up of the following parts: item databases, collections / windows, and components that add functionality to windows / collections.

What is a collection? I think a natural impulse is to start thinking about the collections you need for your game, yet that is not quite how the system works. You have to do some things first to lay out foundations, then you can start making collections, because collections are made up of items and their characteristics.

Item databases: does everything go in one database? Should you have only one? How do you know if you need more than one?

Categories and types: how to plan for your collections as you work with the database.

Practicalities:

How do I start making my inventory? (First database, first item, first window.)

What are all the window components? How and when do you use them? (Show / hide, key commands like C and I, multiple collections in one window, and so on.) It's probably sufficient just to mention the component, show it as it appears in the inspector, explain what it is used for, and then have the details for these in written documentation as necessary.

Probably one short video each on the different sorts of windows, like: infobox, log, crafting, vendor, character customization, player and monster stats, etc.

Saving the inventory.

(BTW, as a suggestion, I think it would be best to separate the player stats window from the player costuming window. Of course, the two windows can be open at the same time, if desired.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    jorisshh likes this.
  40. danreid70

danreid70

...Saving to and loading from Word Press (via Mr Dude's WP Data plugin - using CML data structure)... :) That would rock! :)

Inventory items stored on a webserver, with all player data stored online - with Word Press's built in user account, registration, email verification, MyCreds all-in-one credit purchasing to use in-game, etc. as a massive easy to set up bonus! :)

41. jorisshh

jorisshh

hehe you're not going to give up are you :p? It's on my list of possible next features, but the documentation is far more important right now. Not to mention the giant list of possible other features :).

If I do decide to build it it will be in the distant future though, my time is rather limited at the moment :(

42. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Teila likes this.
  43. danreid70

danreid70

hehe, I'm persistent - like a cold. :) Jorisshh, once I get to the point of connecting Inventory to a saving system (I'm betting I won't get to it till late this fall or early winter), I'll for sure pass the code on to you - to dissect if it's good - and hopefully add another supported plugin to this AWESOME inventory system. :)

DEFINITELY documentation first! And video tutorials. You might end up having a little too much fun making the tutorials -- at first they seem like a chore, but then you kind of end up having fun with them... :)

Really looking forward to the tutorials! If one of them covers custom saving data routines, would definitely be interested in seeing that covered in depth... ;)

44. twobob

twobob

Wave Wave.

I think your sites "send mail thingy is not working right..."

upload_2015-8-24_12-3-27.png

Pretty sure I got my name right ;)

The email I double checked :p

Anyways, What that says.

Hope you are well mate.

45. jorisshh

jorisshh

Works for me :( but strangely enough you don't seem to have the "Regarding asset" box

(Probably a cache issue of the CDN, I'll clear it :) )

And yep doing quite well thank you :p Things are about to get busy as my internship starts soon :)

46. twobob

twobob

47. jorisshh

jorisshh

I haven't actually I spoke to Justin about this a while back when he did the Behavior Designer integration, about the possible integration of the Third person controller asset in the future.

Once I wrap up the documentation ( which will be several more days ) I'll contact Justin, and see how much work an integration would be. The Dialogue system is also on the list so I think I'll do that one first though :)

twobob, hopeful and TonyLi like this.
  48. TimeCastle

TimeCastle

Hey I'm having a problem, and I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Whenever I bring up the inventory menu (Or any other menu) there's no boxes for items to go in.
    I'm sure it's something really small and dumb that I can't figure out lol.

49. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm.. did you set the initial size?

Also try the setup wizard it detects faulty configurations :)

50. Carmexx

Carmexx

Can you control the infobox tooltip time to appear when hovering over an item? I'd like to be able to hover over an item in the inventorywindow for say 2 seconds before the tooltip appears, as I have an issue.

The issue is that if I try to move an item in the inventory to another slot some distance away, if the tooltip appears, it cancels the move half way (when the tooltip disappears it stops the move), if i move an item to a slot next door, then quickly move it again to stop the tooltip appearing, the moveable item stays on the cursor while clicked and can be moved anywhere.