Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Invasion - A First Person FPS Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SevenBits, Jan 20, 2012.

1. SevenBits

SevenBits

Come one, come all!

The extra fabulous FPS Invasion is now ready for first glimpses! Inside that included .ZIP archive you will find two builds - a Windows .EXE and a Macintosh .APP. Inside you should see a small sample level of a science laboratory on the event of a nuclear strike. Screenshots are visible by clicking the Download Now! button below. More will be uploaded at a later date.

It uses the Detonator Explosion Framework and other packages and was built with Unity 3.5 Beta.

I encourage you to download and report any glitches to me. If you have any suggestions or want to help the project, please send me a message via PM. Additional game information will also be posted to my blog in the future, and not here, so be sure to grab the RSS!

Download Here!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

It's been reading HDD for a while now...

3. SevenBits

SevenBits

What OS do you have? I'm guessing maybe it's the Mac. If so, you should move to a Windows machine if you have access to one. I'd love you're other feedback.

Anyway, thanks for commenting. I (think) I know what might have caused the problem; I'll go fix it. Don't you love beta testing?

4. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Windows 7 64 bit.
    After 20 minutes...
    still no load :(

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

That's exactly what I have... Doesn't work on my Mac machine, either...

Hmm, that will take a moment to fix... Better do it now, then.

6. SevenBits

SevenBits

All fixed!

You can re-download from the link here.

I will post screenshots of both this and map of the first campaign mission which I'm personally designing, though it is not in the build. Any further comments are, of course, welcome. If anyone would like to help, please PM me, especially if you're an artist or musician looking for work.

7. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

-Why do you have the same gun as that other guys game?
    -No shadows?
    -science laboratory? Couldn't tell.
    -level design makes no sense...
    -Was that supposed to be snow?

Needs A LOT of work no offense...

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

Unless you mean on lightmapped shadows then it doesn't matter.

9. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Yes, lightmapped shadows.

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yes, I'm very aware of that, no offense taken. If you'd be a bit more specific perhaps I'd be able to address your concerns.

Please keep in mind I constructed this scene in about 30 minutes for this alpha preview. Those little details will never be fixed as we are totally renovating this scene with much better art. As a result we will be improving the level drastically. The hole behind you when you start the level, for instance, is a result of scrapping the majority of the better, but glitchy and unfinished, portion of the map for this demo. Just believe me; you don't have to replay the game or anything.

I took a few weapons from an FPS package I found on the net; he must have done the same. There are more original weapons but are not included in this simple release version. The gun you are speaking of will be removed and replaced hopefully by the next alpha game release, if things go as planned.

No, fallout from the nuclear blast. I didn't consider it, um, worthwhile to create an ash texture just for this.

11. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Maybe too soon for a preview.

12. SevenBits

SevenBits

Wow, you're just assailing me now aren't you? The preview was to focus mainly on the technology, and not necessarily the in-game art. As I believe I said, we're working on all that.

Do you have anything you like about the game? I understand you only get one first impression, but was there anything you liked or enjoyed, really, about the game?

13. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Could you maybe list the technology you made?
    You said the guns were from a pack so I'm guessing all the shooting scripts and whatnot were too?

The police car

14. PhoenixGames

PhoenixGames

@Warrior1424 I think your being a bit too mean, he did a good job and hes trying his best to get everything working etc.

15. SevenBits

SevenBits

Which would include the large amount of unfinished work such as the ability to drive helicopters, AI for Sentry Guns, an adaptive difficulty, a rather large amount of many technologies which did not make it in here do to a buggy nature or because we haven't debugged them yet.

Quite frankly, maybe you're actually right; maybe it was too early to release an alpha. Perhaps I should've waited until those technologies were finished so I could implement them in the game to make it seem more "feature complete". And about the shooting scripts coming from some package somewhere - why do you care where they came from?

If it did come from a package, and I'm not saying it did, so what? Lots of software today is built open a different framework. Google Chrome, to name just one example, has its entire rendering engine based on Webkit, an open source web rendering technology and the exact same one used by Apple for its Safari browsers. I even built a Webkit browser a while back. Google simply built up from their with a PDF viewer and other features.

16. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Ok.
    You have a preview.
    In your first post you have the following:
    So I gave you suggestions.
    You then talk about how its just a test and its being worked on etc.

To which I replied:
    As in, maybe you should have finished some more, and then put up a demo.
    How can give it suggestions, when there still so much being worked on?

Then you say:
    too which I replied:
    then you said:
    You claim the demo was too show technology, when it seems that all this "technology" wasn't even included in the demo. I don't care what you are going to put in it, I wanted to know what the demo was showcasing.

So you are showcasing premade stuff then?

All I want to know is what did you do.
    Anyone can throw together some prefabs and call it a day, I want to know why your game is special. Why I should play it instead of any other game using those scripts. I am really not trying to attack you, as your game seems really nice!

SUMMARY: I'm not attacking you or your game, I just gave my input.
    I wasn't like "OMG DUDE UR GAME SUCKS BAWLS LOL" or "U FAIL AT MAKING GAMES ROLF"
    I was just being honest.
    Sorry for being so harsh on your
    Good luck on the project.

17. SevenBits

SevenBits

Okay, I'm sorry. I think I might've misunderstood what you were saying; I'm sorry if I thought you were flaming. I'll try and put a more general showcase of our technology in the near future. Thanks for clearing everything up. :D

18. Lenn Dolling

Lenn Dolling

i noticed that when you (on windows) press Escape to Quit... there was no input that would allow the user to select anything from the Menu that Pop's up.....

19. SevenBits

SevenBits

What do you mean? There should be a Quit option that appears when the game is paused. It works just fine in the Editor.

20. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

There isn't, also when you hit esc during play, you can't select any of the 3 menu options because the mouse cursor is still attached to the player. Another thing, when you have the rocket launcher equipped, and press the rmb, it zooms out not in.

21. SevenBits

SevenBits

Alright, I'll have to fix the pause menu then. That's odd because for me it works fine.

The camera's position doesn't change when you press RMB, what you described is because of the FOV espansion.

22. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Ya but typically when you look through a scope you zoom in on something not out, that's what I'm getting at.

23. SevenBits

SevenBits

I guess. I can fix that effect. Perhaps I'll just remove the scope and replace it with irons or something.

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

The next release of the game will consist of a sewer map, complete with (hopefully) running water and various light effects. The scene will also not consist of models from the sewer tech demo; all geometry will be created from scratch. Screenshots will be posted very soon.

25. PhoenixGames

PhoenixGames

Sevenbits just make a simple cursorlock script then attach it to ur player/camera

26. SevenBits

SevenBits

That's already been done; that and other improvements will be in the next build.

27. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Took a few weapons, or used the entire package? The free package requires attribution in order to use.

28. SevenBits

SevenBits

Ah, yes. I just looked at my opening screen; it appears I must've forgotten to credit you for your work. That will be fixed and, as I've said to most everyone else, you will be able to view the credits on the opening screen in the next distribution of this game; as I'm not going to re-upload every time we make a change.

FYI, we do plan on replacing your pre-built models with our own. Naturally, by the time the final release is ready for beta, all of your models will hopefully have been phased out, so by that time you will receive your credit on your on the base FPS package code only.

If this will be an issue, please message me and we can discuss this.

29. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@SevenBits No issue, just wanted to clarify. And you can use the gun models if you want (although considering their quality it's probably best to replace them).

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

I expect to replace the majority of the weapons; especially the rocket launcher. I may keep the M16 and possibly the SPAS 12, though. I wasn't planning on having in my game anyway, but I guess there's no harm in having more. :D

Thank you for understanding; I've been rather busy coding a ton of other frameworks and I'd hate to get into an online argument. Sometimes credit is a nasty thing, believe me...

31. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Credit is only a nasty thing if you fail to provide it.

32. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@SevenBits No worries, I made the package so that people would use it so I'm just happy to see it pop up in another project!

33. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Okay so I downloaded and played...and I have a couple of critiques.

1st) The bullet pattern/spray. When shooting off of the hip, the pattern of bullets is too wide. Even shooting without aiming, these weapons will generally keep a decently tight pattern. I would suggest tightening up the radius somewhat.

2nd) In some areas of the level my grenades would pass straight through walls, don't know what the issue with that is, but you won't want that to happen in a final build.

3.) The falling snow looks strange, I would suggest maybe making the decal/particle when it hits the ground fade out quicker. I know it might make it look more like rain, but it's just an observation.

4.) The menu UI buttons are kind of blurry and hard to read. Would suggest using a design that has more contrast between the actual text of the button and it's own background.

5.) I'm sure you're aware the lighting is flat right now, but I'm sure you intend to bake some lightmaps, etc.

Here is a Colt M4 weapon for free if you feel like using it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/Colt_M4_Model.zip

34. SevenBits

SevenBits

Thanks for your response! I am aware of what you stated and will fix those ASAP.

Regarding the Colt model: did you actually create that, or is it from someplace else?

35. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The Colt model is entirely my own creation. You're free to use it for any commercial or non commercial purpose. I actually give it away in a library of free 3d models on my Facebook page.

36. SevenBits

SevenBits

Okay, thanks. I'll incorporate that into the game. :)

37. SevenBits

SevenBits

See below post.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  38. SevenBits

SevenBits

39. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

40. SevenBits

SevenBits

Cool. I'll take a look at them. These'll likely replace the cruddy ones I've made...

EDIT: Turns out those were actually released under the Creative Commons Share Alike license. I don't think I can use those now, as we no desire to release our source code.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  41. SevenBits

SevenBits

We are almost ready to release the next alpha version with the new scene. Be sure to play this version now and report any last minute bugs so we can fix them!

You can see screen shots hopefully very soon on my blog.

42. spy60694

spy60694

the zip file is invalid

43. Meltdown

Meltdown

You should follow the Work in Progress forum posting rules and post some screenshots of your WIP with perhaps a video. Not all of us want to download something just to see it.

44. SevenBits

SevenBits

The next preview release is nearing completion. Rest assured when it is complete, you will see screen shots. For now, however, you may check my blog for game information and other goodies.