Search Unity

Invalid Project Path

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by excalios, Mar 26, 2019.

1. excalios

excalios

This is a unity on linux(fedora 29) tried creating a new project but instead i got this

Attached Files:

Winter_vr94 and CloudyVR like this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The problem is your username contains an invalid character '.' in the path.
    You can file a bug report so we can fix this in the future as it should be ok on Linux to use a dot in the path. For now, use a path that does not contain a dot (.)
    It may also be possible to create the project from the command line and then open that project with the hub.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

Winter_vr94 likes this.
  3. ryanclo

ryanclo

I'm trying to open a project with Unity Hub. No matter where I place the file on my hard drive, I keep getting this error:
    Any ideas? Is this a configuration setting somewhere within the application? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 11.37.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 11.37.52 PM.png

4. geeksesi_unity

geeksesi_unity

also i have this problem. ( in linux i don't have any problem but on windows :( )

5. Tehemus

Tehemus

I have this problem too on a computer on windows 10. No matter in which folder I try to import a cloud project, I get that "Invalid Project path" message. (unity hub 2.1.0)

Edit : it also fails to create a new project

Edit 2 : after some trial and error, I installed an old version (0.18.1) and upgraded to 2.1.0 from it and I was able to import a project from the cloud. I was also able to create a new project.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. rgfhv

rgfhv

How did you get an old version? Only found out that Unity don't want people to innstall older versions of unity hub.

retrograder_25 likes this.
  7. grlngnkr

grlngnkr

In unity hub select add then browse to and select/highlight the folder that contains the "Assets" and "Library" folders of your project. Then click on the "Select Folder" button. Just make sure you are selecting the folder that holds the "Assets" and "Library" sub folders.

8. andriuszel89

andriuszel89

th
    thank you that helped alot

9. kylefigula

kylefigula

Linux is case-sensitive. I fixed my problem by renaming the "assets" in the main project folder to "Assets" ... Hope this helps someone

10. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

This is still broken in Unity2019.3.0.

It's rather sad that in 2020 Unity still crashes on something as simple as 100% valid filenames.

And - for bonus points! - the 2020 version of the Unity Hub still has the wrong error message!

Also - double bonus points! - the 2020 Unity Hub creates the project knowing that it will crash the next time you try to open it.

No warnings. No errors. And when it crashes ... it displays the wrong error message. Sigh

lee1hao2yi3 likes this.
  11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filled any bug reports?

matkoniecz likes this.
  12. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

This has been in the codebase for a year or more, looking at this thread. Has it not been logged as a bug by anyone? Do you have to wait for an external person to create a bug report before Unity can attempt it?

So far with 2019.3 I keep running into bugs every time I open it - it's still a beta, not a full release (this is on brand new projects, on first-ever install of Unity on new machines). It's hard to believe that logging obvious "no one can have even installed Unity and not noticed this" bugs is worthwhile right now - they must have already been logged by others.

(Unity is currently lagging approximately 2 months behind on responding to new bugs, so - as far as I know? - there's no way for me to see what's been logged already, and won't be for another month or severa months)

13. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Also: each year we keep being told that the forums are the best place to report and query about outstanding bugs and feature requests (and, of course, the entire feedback system is still a burning wasteland of deleted URLs - so much content that Unity simply destroyed :(, still heavily linked all over the web and Google).

I used to be afraid of using a forum for bug reporting and mgmt (it felt wrong), but ... at the same time: I am still working around bugs that Unity has known about for 5+ years for which the ONLY support / workaround information is in threads on this forum. Given that ... it seems best to use the forums for sharing with other devs, unless we find some bug that is obviously new or obscure enough that it probably hasn't been reported already.

Also: the bug reporter is STILL BROKEN in the most basic ways (it blocks millions of email addresses for no reason other than someone writing bad code!) that many of us reported over and over again going back many years. Stuff like that makes it less attractive to report bugs manually unless there's a REALLY good reason to do so.

14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please don't use the forum to file bug reports. It's fine to query the status of an existing one but always make a bug report to go with it. Developers need bug reports so they can plan and track work.

We can't fix bugs we don't know about. A bug report on the forum requires someone to spot it, recreate the issue and either fix it or file a bug report for you. The problem is that trying to recreate someone's bug is often very difficult and time-consuming. We don't have all the information required, the time we spend trying to recreate your issue could be spent fixing bugs that have been reported.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The issue tracker has all the latest bugs on it.

Have you filled any bug reports?

What are the bugs that are over 5 years old? Can you point me towards a bug number so I can check what the issue is?

Caako, Joe-Censored and matkoniecz like this.
  15. DEMONSWRATH

DEMONSWRATH

Same problem for me and suggestions on why this happens and how to resolve?

16. ShioriShirane

ShioriShirane

I can pick any place to try to Add a project but always get this error too. There's no Library folder and the assets folder is in a place that simply can't be where Unity expects me to create a project. Regardless, I still tried and still got the error.

Is there a single person who has managed to successfully create a project? I'm already out of ideas.

(ヘ・_・)ヘ┳━┳

(╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻

17. megasuperlexa

megasuperlexa

how to resolve this problem?

18. vgdirect

vgdirect

I got around the problem by opening Unity (Not Unity Hub). File->New Project

19. kauhan09

kauhan09

Esse erro ainda continua na versão 2.3.1, se tudo mencionado acima, alguém tem alguma idéia do que poderia ser?

20. ShioriShirane

ShioriShirane

Não. Para algumas pessoas não há problema. Para a maioria, há.

I have submitted a bug report a few days ago and gotten no reply. Is this really going to be permanent? I sort of need Unity to recognize assets. I do not wish to go through the process of telling the content creator I demand a refund, simply because Unity refuses to allow me to choose my own Project path. Like Why ask me where I want the path to be if it will just tell me my wild guess was wrong?

21. DigitalArtsSoftwareEngineers

DigitalArtsSoftwareEngineers

I just had same problem now but i got it working now. it happens to be that the project folder i downloaded came inside another folder so i changed only the first one but changing the inside one too just fixed it. make sure that the folders do not have any restricted characters.

22. ag0x

ag0x

Thank you, the assets folder was misspelled!

23. mksmsrkn

mksmsrkn

+1, just create a New Project (empty one), once Unity starts up you can do File -> Open Scene and select the Project scene you are trying to import, no need to rename anything.

24. ShioriShirane

ShioriShirane

None of the things I've read here have worked, but I got it working. For me, I looked at as tutorial on the Unity site and it wanted to open in Unity Hub. I opened it and it started creating files in Unity. Ever since I did that, my assets will load. It seems Unity installed without some files it needed.

I think it was 3D Beginner: Tutorial Resources. By the way, the path to your assets is C:\Users\Username\3D Objects

25. UnityisC00L

UnityisC00L

I got the same error. I tried everything I could for 3 hours but I still do not know why? I keep getting the invalid project path message. It is not a good sign so far. Please help.

26. takito

takito

OK so the way I got around this problem

1. Install the Unity 2017.4.40of1 (LTS)
    2. Open it and create new project
    3. Once it opens Close it and open the unity hub, the project should be there.
    4. Change Unity Version to the version you need, in my case I want the latest release 2019.3.14of1
    5. Follow the steps to convert and that's that.

hope it works for at least some of you guys!

dan_ginovker likes this.
  27. wanpeninsula

wanpeninsula

Anti Virus like IOBIT Malware Fighter and Malwarebytes are tested to deny access of applications to access other files in certain ways. Consider disabling your anitivrus temporarily and run Unity Hub as Administrator

28. DroneMesh1337

DroneMesh1337

The Solution is you need to uninstall/delete the Editor because the HUB is callling from another location.

So go to Setting in HUB find General then Unity Editors Folder Modify then press save 50x times to make sure it saved there.

Then download the editor then create a project.

This will work on linux i just solved it now.

Extra Info:
    if you want to know where the old editor is saved run
    sudo updatedb
    locate Unity
    then delete it
    I found mine in a folder called ~ in downloads that is not normal>

29. gangstashankz

gangstashankz

Thankyou, very helpful. How stupid is Unity if they haven't fixed this problem yet? Whem creating a project they just need to automatically add these folders.

gamemaker20141212 likes this.
  30. rotub

rotub

This solved it for me however I didn't have a "Library" folder. It didn't work initially, so I manually added a "Library" folder and tried again -- it worked!

Thanks for your help!

31. VvSeanGTvV

VvSeanGTvV

Apparently, my unity doesn't open my project I tried moving it still has same problem.

Attached Files:

32. VvSeanGTvV

VvSeanGTvV

And Yes it does have problem to open a project:
    "Failed to resolve project template", "failed to decompress"

Attached Files:

33. Cuttlas-U

Cuttlas-U

what worked for me was deleting or moving all my misc files inside project folders ,
    i only left these folders :
    "Assets"
    "Library"
    "Packages"
    "ProjectSettings"

then it opend up ,

34. RSH1

RSH1

Had this problem today with 2020.3.0f1. It was due to there being a space at the end of the project name in 'Project Settings'

35. iugyufe1edtysesstdsss

iugyufe1edtysesstdsss

como se puede resolver

36. jarrettbgross

jarrettbgross

i still have no idea on what to do, somebody plz help me

veteran59995 likes this.
  37. Iamsumsum

Iamsumsum

Same here. This is soo stupid. I cant get it to work

Attached Files:

38. zorroelox

zorroelox

really Same problem here any solution? A big software like this with a huge bug

39. veteran59995

veteran59995

Ahhhh, this is so annoying. I can't even create a project. I downloaded Unity about 4 hours ago and ALL this 4 hours I was spending to solve the problem. Why the best program wanna make me cry?!

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  40. idiophonic

idiophonic

Not sure if this is still helpful, but the problem is likely that you need to open the folder you are trying to create a project from and choose a folder within it; you're choosing a parent folder instead of the target folder holding the expected assets.

41. swedishfisk

swedishfisk

Haha this is so funny, I couldn't create a new project so came here due to this specific error. Then it dawned on me.

Turns out a lot of us are actually clicking Add and not New :D

So if you want to create a new project form scratch you have to click New

If you are importing an existing project click Add.

You will get this error message otherwise and it's easy to mis-click since Add sounds like add a new project in a way.

I think the UI should be made clearer :confused:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  42. YayinPlayx

YayinPlayx

this is same

43. tristancayer

tristancayer

The problem I had was that the folder I used was called "Unity Games" But then I changed it to "UnityGames" and it worked. Usually, spaces are not recognized by programs so it did not count as an actual folder.
    Hope it helps

44. sudesahin

sudesahin

thank you so much sir you really helped me you are a hero :)

45. moogmagister

moogmagister

Every time I try to create a new project in the unity hub, it closes. When I reopen it I get an "invalid file path" error message. After closing it and reopening it again, the project is not there. I can't open Unity either. Any ideas?