Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Invalid Executable Size?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by derkoi, Nov 12, 2018.

1. derkoi

derkoi

I'm trying to make an update to a game on the App Store, I've uploaded a Universal build and I get an 'Invalid Executable Size' error for arm64 being 67mb and not 60mb.

I'm using Unity 2018.2.14f1 & Xcode 10.1

I can't seem to find much information on how to reduce the Executable size, So I don't know what to do. Any suggestions please?

Also, I think I might end 32bit support, but my game on the App Store is universal, will Apple allow me to drop 32bit support or is that only for new games?

Thanks

2. orb

orb

We're up to iOS 12 now. iOS 11 was the first one to ditch support entirely for 32-bit apps, and the only supported devices anymore are 64-bit. I think it's safe, and possibly required, to drop 32-bit support on iOS now.

I think there is an actual (fairly low) maximum binary size for the 32-bit portion of a binary, and it could result from choosing "Don't link" in Xcode options. When you do that it compiles the .NET libraries, and you end up with a magnitude more code. Since binaries aren't final code you have no way of telling just from looking at the file sizes though, but it's a moot point since 32-bit supported devices are a very tiny portion of the market now.

3. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks Orb, I'll drop 32bit support then. What target minimum ios version do you think I should select? 11?

4. Crichton333

Crichton333

iOS 11 and iOS 12 devices make up 90% as of October 2018. Im doing minimum 10 as the 12 is still fresh.

derkoi likes this.
  5. orb

orb

Apple's own numbers.

7% are on 10 or earlier among devices bought in the past 4 years, 11% of all-time devices still in use. You can safely assume a very small portion of the latter category are on 10. Draw your own conclusions, make your own decisions :)

6. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks guys

7. derkoi

derkoi

Think I'll go with min iOS 10 and 64 bit only. See how that pans out. :)

8. orb

orb

Seems a safe bet. You'll cover practically all the market of people actually using their devices and still downloading things :)

derkoi likes this.