Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Invalid entity (DELETED) error!

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by leeham9, Jan 17, 2019.

1. leeham9

leeham9

Hi all,

I've been stuck for a little while on this issue that keeps breaking my game. Basically, I'm using this.world.DestroyEntity(entity) on an "Enemy", but when I call this the game freezes and I get these errors:

https://gyazo.com/aa571752c0d974382c9ef3893a4c4043

Here is the chunk of code I call too:

https://gyazo.com/9c9416c925145a94ea9c172e4fbacab4

I feel like I've looked all over in my code (there's only a few Systems right now), and I'm really confused as to why this is happening. I call this.world.DestroyEntity(entity) on a "Bullet" entity I have, and it works perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this error message? I feel like its something pretty simple/silly, but unfortunately I'm in crunch-mode and feel like I'm not thinking straight...

2. leeham9

leeham9

I think I've found whats causing this, but I don't have a solution just yet. But basically, I have a "Weapon" which is nested in "Enemy" and it seems that when I destroy enemy, code associated with the weapon seems to cause this error.

3. Nkon

Nkon

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

You need to move all children of an entity to another location in the hierarchy before you destroy the entity, or alternatively also destroy the children together with the parent entity.

Move all children of an entity to the root level of the hierarchy:
    ut.Core2D.TransformService.removeAllChildren(this.world, entity);

Destroy any children together with the parent entity:
    ut.Core2D.TransformService.destroyTree(this.world, entity);

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    leeham9 likes this.
  4. leeham9

leeham9

Thanks Nkon! I did end up coming up with a solution, but I didn't know about the removeAllChildren or destroyTree methods. Those are super useful.

5. raymondyunity

raymondyunity

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    I'm glad this was resolved. After some digging it looks like "this.world.DestroyEntity(entity)" is not working as expected. Use "ut.Core2D.TransformService.destroyTree(this.world, entity);". This is also how the current samples are destroying entities.

abeisgreat likes this.
  6. ju_my

ju_my

Hi, how do you access "ut" i can't find it anywhere?