Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ints and Enums for Animation?

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by playemgames, Oct 17, 2017.

1. playemgames

playemgames

I saw this feature:

Animation: Added support for integer and enum animation

And got excited that we might be able to animate sorting order of renderers for animations finally, but I did not see it available as a property in the animation editor. How is this used and can it be done yet?

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Integers on built-in components are not all exposed by default, only integers on scripts.
    Can you tell me which property exactly you want to animate?

3. playemgames

playemgames

Sorting orders on renderers, sprites, or skinned mesh renderers for an animation tool I am working on.

4. playemgames

playemgames

I was using z sorting, but then there are z fighting issues, Sorting Group works but then I have to use sorting order for it to work properly. But cannot edit sorting orders for animations though since they are ints.

5. playemgames

playemgames

@DavidGeoffroy so will we be able to change renderer sorting order via animation finally?

6. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

I'm still looking at it but yes, barring surprises from the renderer components, that's the plan.

7. playemgames

playemgames

@DavidGeoffroy That is fantastic! I had just finished up a manager script for updating sorting layers built off some scripts, so this will definitely save me on some resources. Please PM me to let me know when it is in so I can test for you!