Search Unity

Introducing vBug: Visual Debugging | Playability testing | Usability testing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Michiel-Frankfort, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

Thats an odd bug. I tried to reproduce it, but I can't. If I might ask, what platform are you targeting? And do you use 'jit-render' or 'endOfFrame'? Are you using Unity pro or free?

You could try the following: If you open ScreenGrabber.cs and navigate to line 268, and change the WorkLoadExecutorType to 'waitForEndOfFrame' instead of 'LateUpdate'.

This could solve the problem, and if it does, please let me know.
    Thank you for using vBug! Have a nice day!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. devenv

devenv

Nope, doesn't fix it.
    BTW, it happens even if you don't put the vbug prefab on the scene...

3. devenv

devenv

Free license, disabling screen capture doesn't solve the issue...

4. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi everyone,

About the "Serialization depth limit exceeded" issue, I think I have found a fix, but this warning-log should be completely harmless. It is a known Unity bug and due to the 'non-lethal' nature of the bug, this 'fix' will be part of the new 'Unity-5-ready' release.

Thanks to all who helped me in the right direction and of course, thank you for buying vBug!

ps: Forum thread about this issue: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4-5-serialization-depth.248321
    pps: The sale was a great success, so I hope vBug will be featured soon again!

devenv likes this.
  5. cr4y

cr4y

Hi,

It would be great if you could finally reply my e-mail or post. In current version, if I create any scene, and record meshes, during replay all meshes are black.
    Przechwytywanie.PNG

Which is not good. Can I do something to fix it? Can you?

Cheers,
    Kris

Michiel-Frankfort likes this.
  6. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi,

My apologies, but I did not receive any email.

Anyways, I think I know how to solve it:
    1) Load the Unity project and play in editor (this will load and compile all required shaders).
    2) Then goto 'Tools/vBug/Settings/Update indexed shader properties' and replay the game.

Now it should be fixed. There are some issues with exotic shaders, but by the looks of it, this should not be the problem.
    I hope this solves the issue. Good luck!

7. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

I was using Unity 4, added the prefab to the scene, that's it. We don't use 'endofframe' anywhere in the project that I'm aware of (unless NGUI or something does).

It's a pretty small test project at this point, so doesn't do much that's too fancy.

Will give the code change you suggested a try.

I'm currently targetting Android, but will eventually be Android / IOS at a minimum. Note that the error occurs in the editor itself, didn't get to the point of trying an export.

8. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

I've since upgraded to Unity 5 (same project), will give it a try with the new version.

9. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Thanks for trying, but I'm currently hard at work to make Unity 5 work natively. Its a lot of work and I'm almost there, but it will take at least another week or so.

Once the Unity 5 version is ready, I'll announce it here.
    Thanks!

10. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Looks like it will be a great tool!

11. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

No audio recorder?

rushbier likes this.
  12. metagrue

metagrue

Having an issue where vBug will randomly stop playback of the recording with no error or output. It's easy enough to resume and I assume it has something to do with my level-loader code, some abstraction was necessary to keep all of the game inside of a single scene. But anyway it makes the whole thing feel clunky and unintuitive having to press Play every time the level changes (and it changes a lot in my project).

13. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi,

I will look into this. It might indeed happen that switching scenes causes a dip in the recorded frames, therefore pausing the playback. Thanks for the feedback!

14. metagrue

metagrue

It's not switching scenes exactly. I have a component that switches the majority of the scene's objects frequently. And every time it executes in Playback, the Playback pauses.

Yea, if there is any way I can help you tackle this one I'm more than willing. A tool as cool as this I am looking forward to being able to use it properly. :)

15. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi Rancid1,

I just wrote a fix for this, because I think this is indeed very annoying. It will be part of my official Unity 5 release soon, but because you are having troubles using it, I can send you my latst Release Candidate if you want to. I'm still in the process of testing all new Unity-5 features, but so far so good.

Please send me an email to vbug4unity@gmail.com and I'll get back to you.
    Thanks!

16. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi everyone,

My new update is finally live! It has native Unity 5 support, and is still compatible with Unity 4.6. These are the main adjustments:
    - Greatly improved capture performance!
    - Native Unity-UI support!
    - Unity 4.6 backwards-compatible.

It also contains a lot of small fixes and tackles some user-requests like:
    - 'rancid1' question about playback being interrupted when scene changes. (Thanks for the feedback)
    - 'Serialization depth limit exceeded' error log issue fixed
    - Improved material-capture & playback, solving most 'black meshes' issues ('cr4y' reported issue)

I hope you guys like it, you can now download it from the assetstore.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: If you upgrade from v1.2.8 or v1.1, please delete the entire vBug folder, then import the new 1.5.x version into your project. Otherwise Unity will not properly replace some adjusted files and keep deprecated scripts, resulting in compiler errors.

Have a great day!

metagrue and OnePxl like this.
  17. metagrue

metagrue

Glad to hear you got it fixed. :) I can wait for the official release. I'm just happy to have helped support this awesome plugin. :)

OnePxl likes this.
  18. betaFlux

betaFlux

Hi Michiel, I'd really like to purchase your tool, since I always waste so much time finding bugs. I just need to know if I will be able to track down out of range/null reference exceptions and the like, even inside massive component frameworks?

19. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi

So i use Playmaker to make my games. Will this record all of that data as well? so as i watch the recorded game back (after being played on mobile) will i be able to watch the states, transitions etc on the Playmaker FSM's just like i can as the game plays in the unity editor?

because many times i have issues that appear when i build to mobile that don't in the unity editor and it would be such a life saver to be able to play/watch the playmaker FSM's back as it happened on the mobile device.

many thanks.

20. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

Is there a way for like, on session end to get an email with the vBug session attached?

21. wightwhale

wightwhale

I'm wondering if you can get access remotely as well, currently I have a bug that only shows up on a remote iOS device and I have no idea what is causing it. Even getting the device log would be helpful.

22. Sphelps

Sphelps

Can this recording be sent to us to review?

23. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Hi,
    Unity5 found:

Error 7 "UnityEngine.Resources.LoadAssetAtPath(string, System.Type)" is deprecated: "Use AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath instead (UnityUpgradable)" E:\Projects\....\Assets\vBug\Editor\AssetDatabase\VisualResources.cs 397 46 Assembly-CSharp-Editor-vs

24. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

I will look into this as soon as possible. It looks like its related to Unity 5.1 specific, but I'll investigate this asap. Is vBug still working properly?

Thank you for reporting and using vBug!

25. mimminito

mimminito

Any news on streaming over WiFi?

26. tchris

tchris

I am trying out this asset for the first time. I dragged the vBugInitializer (Default Standalone & Editor) prefab into the scene and ran the application but I don't see anything in repositories. In reporitory it says

"Please select a rootfolder"
    "Please select a user-folder"
    "Please select a data-folder"

I went to Tools -> VBug -> Settings and set the folder for recordings but am apparently missing a step. I tried to uncheck the "Standalone Store To Application Folder" setting thinking that would cause it to save to the folder I designated.

EDIT:
    Also I am seeing this error in my Unity Console
    "GUI Window tries to begin rendering while something else has not finished rendering! Either you have a recursive OnGUI rendering, or previous OnGUI did not clean up properly."

When I disable the prefab the error goes away.

27. tchris

tchris

Actually, it must be something specific about my project since it works fine in a brand new project. Maybe it's because I have other GUI calls somewhere

28. JoeW97

JoeW97

Is there any way to make use of vBug while in Editor mode? I'm making procedural-generation tools which need to run fast, but I'm getting some lag. (I think from Unity serialization in the background). Unity's Profiler is virtually useless in Editor mode. Might there be a way of making vBug record/analyse an Editor session?

29. ninjapps

ninjapps

Hi, I have sent and email but just found this forum post which is great.

I bought the asset and its really good but can't find a way to see states for Playmaker or Behavior Designer. The data is recorded I am sure and I expected when I click on the object in the hierarchy that I would see whats working much like when I play the scene.

Any ideas?

30. ury2ok2000

ury2ok2000

I had the same issue as tchris, the fix for me was to set the build to something other than webplayer (it fdoes say in the docs that webplayer is unable to save, its just that it is toward the bottom and who has time to read all that stuff :) )

Anyway i am experiencing another problem. When i playback the recording i am not seeing it reflect in my scene. My scene is acting static just as it would if i was using unity normally. Like in the tutorial video it shows the guy moving around and you can see his future position in the scene as it is being replayed - i dont see any of that. I do see the playback in the vBug playback window, just not the scene window. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

31. PGJ

PGJ

Is it possible to capture and show RigidBody/RigidBody2D in vBug Hierarchy window?

32. tchris

tchris

Thanks! Changing it from webplayer allowed it to save. Seems to be working now.

33. LudiKha

LudiKha

You can fix the bug by replacing Resources.LoadAssetAtPath with UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath and VBug will work just fine!

34. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Michiel Frankfort

In Unity 5.1.2f1, I imported vBugs into a fresh new project. Then, I find many warnings.

vBug_warnings.png

Do you plan to release a update for vBug in the near future?

35. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Great job on VBUG!

I saw there is an option for "Stream to server" under Processing type.. how does that work? can we set it up so that it will upload the logs to a server automatically? I couldn't find any documentation about this.

36. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I am attempting to use vBug with BuildR and am experiencing a naming conflict.

I have attached a diff to fix the conflict.

Attached Files:

37. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

No sure if anyone offers support for this plugin anymore, I haven't heard back for 2 weeks now.

Here is another issue, I cannot run my game in full-screen in the editor (Maximize on Play), i get this error:
    Invalid editor window Frankfort.VBug.Editor.vBugConsoleWindow
    UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout()

38. sdpgames

sdpgames

Here we don't get answer from the developer. Our issue is for run-time created entities (such as creatures being spawned halfway through play with Instantiate). When we add the component to monitor their custom properties, it doesn't work on those ones. Works on everything else though.

39. fermmmm

fermmmm

I've made some tests to check the quality of vBug and what is different from the advertised features:

- 2D Sprites movement recording is not supported, you can see the values but you can't go back in time in a visual representation. You only can use the video recording to debug a 2D game vissualy. The author does not say anything about this.

- The repository window is bugged, you can't change the folder where the recordings are saved, and sometimes, depending on the path of your project you can't use the asset at all because the folder is not recognized when you select it and keeps asking for it.

- Video recording is broken in Unity 5.2, works fine in 5.1

I've pirated the asset to test it, I buy the assets when I find them usefull, when these problems gets fixed I'll buy it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  40. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

HI Michiel,

At the time vBug is a little bit bugged and it not updated to unity 5.2.

Can you upgrade please?

41. hopeful

hopeful

It's possible the dev here isn't receiving notifications of posts to the thread, so if you want to contact him, it's probably best to use the support email address and/or PM him.

42. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I just sent the developer a PM letting him know there is activity here.

43. atmuc

atmuc

i have the same 2d sprite problem.

44. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

I have a pink screen on Camera playback, everthing else works fine. (Mobile optimazed version in the Editor)

I used different Formats, Methods and so on always the same.

Attached Files:

45. Setmaster

Setmaster

Having the same issue

46. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Michiel Frankfort
    Michiel Frankfort was last seen:
    Jul 24, 2015
    .... And now? Is vBug dead?

47. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Hmm looked into the Asset, it is with Source Code, maybe i found a solution for it ;)

48. TarlSS

TarlSS

I'm getting the pink camera too, can't really use this tool without any screen recording..

49. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber

Anybody solved the Pink Screen issue?
    I just sent the dev an email but I thought I'd ask here too in case.

50. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber

Did you manage this? And if so, care to share the solution? :)