Search Unity

Introducing User Contributed Notes for Unity Docs

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by mviuk, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mviuk

mviuk

Hi all,

Just over a month ago I released an extension for Google Chrome that adds shared notes to Unity documentation pages, as a way of seeing and sharing gotchas and notes on the various documentation pages. It's powered by Disqus, so it's the same commenting interface you may be used to from a lot of other sites and helps keep out spam and keep the notes high quality.

DocsNotesExample.png
    Screenshot 2017-10-09 19.15.04.png Screenshot 2017-10-09 19.14.11.png
    We already have over 500 users and 100 notes! All notes are checked by moderators (myself and one other right now) for accuracy and to make sure they're relevant. We're trying to maintain a high quality bar when it comes to notes, so questions and comments that don't add value to the page will be removed, which seems to be working very well with the notes so far (we've only deleted 2 so far).

This extension works across Unity versions, as notes aren't version specific.

You can download the extension for Chrome here. You can also install it in Firefox using the same link if you have Foxified installed

Disclaimer: This is an unofficial extension and is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Unity Technologies.

LooperVFX, Desoxi, SepraB and 10 others like this.
  2. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

Genius. Thank you! I'll definitely be using this and hopefully contributing some useful notes...

3. HuangXH

HuangXH

very good

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Having this a native thing would be nice...

5. gillemp

gillemp

Hi! I Just found out about this and I think it's wonderful and should be native to Unity Docs!

However, the issue seems to be that not a lot of users are using it... any idea about how this could get popularized?

6. DrummerB

DrummerB

There seem to be 0 comments everywhere. Even if I click one of the recommendations where it lists recent contributions, the actual article shows 0 comments.

gillemp likes this.
  7. novelsmith

novelsmith

excellent I really appritiates you

8. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Is this extension still alive? I get a 404 from the Chrome Web Store.

9. bgrz

bgrz

I still have it installed but it got auto-disabled by Chrome, and it now says "This extension violates the Chrome Web Store policy." under it in chrome://extensions/

10. Serge_Billault

Serge_Billault

Doesnt work for me either. 404 page on the chrome link, and an error page for Firefox. And no indication as to what extension to look for in the Firefox extensions data base if we want to find it manually. Is the "not working" thing also part of the "new normal" (I hate these expressions) of the COVID generation?

11. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Sad to see this went away, sounds like an interesting idea since the Unity docs are missing so much information and apparently they have reasons to not drastically improve everything at once, so I would love to see the community add their own findings. Even with a grain of salt this would help.

12. marcospgp

marcospgp

I keep sending Unity feedback on the documentation pages, but it would be great to be able to share the insights instantly in a comment section. Saddened to see the extension is gone now.

Hopefully we'll get something similar from Unity themselves in the near future, or perhaps the documentation will improve enough that we won't need it!

gillemp likes this.
  13. vertxxyz

vertxxyz

Just a note that mviuk has been working through Google's random takedown of the extension. Google seems to have thought it was not functioning, or had limited functionality that went against their terms. This was repeatedly occurring during subsequent resubmissions.
    Currently there's a promising ticket open where they have asked for a video of its functionality, so there'll be some humans looking it over and hopefully re-approving it sooner rather than later.​

Edit: Sorry to get your hopes up. Turns out the extension is truly busted and will require work to be fixed. It is unlikely to be repaired any time soon, as it is not as straight forward as it was before!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Xarbrough likes this.
  14. vertxxyz

vertxxyz