Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Official Introducing Unity Muse and Unity Sentis, AI-powered creativity

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jun 26, 2023.

1. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Note that something needs to actually be trademarked in such a case which means money is regularly paid etc. That isn't being done for every random bit of art.
    Therefore it's not like you get in trouble just because someone years ago happened to draw something similar somewhere. It has to actually be a brand. I'd believe that you'll find that out sooner or later during game dev (like in alpha phase) on the offchance that it actually occurs.

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

It's all kinda moot when AI can't output anything usable, anyway. At best you can produce VN backgrounds at this moment in time and by fine tuning, maybe you can get some VN characters, but for the price of a 4090 and the sheer amount of time necessary to achieve anything resembling consistency and style, you might as well hire a proper artist.

The texture gen thing looks ass as well. You can generate a bunch of generic bathroom tile textures for your game that'll look as generic as any other textures the tool generates for a thousand other generic looking games set in a tiled bathroom. You need a visual identity to stand out, all the recent hyper-realistic PBR games like Forespoken and Immortals are failing while indie darlings look like they're from the PS1 era. Even the public demo at Unite looked crap and that was a handpicked example of the best it can produce. It's at best a prototyping tool.

Same for sprite gen, it can't really be used for anything but rough placeholders since they all have that shiny AI-gen look and style consistency is unlikely to be achieved, definitely not by folks at Unity who are not pushing the envelope, they're just using models grabbed from elsewhere.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

You don't need a 4090. Models based off of SD 1.5 can run on hardware with as little as 4GB VRAM. Ideal is around 8GB VRAM like my 3070 which can generate images in seconds. You only really need more than that if you want to play around with the latest SD 2.x models (which are currently worse) or if you want to do things like animation.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I was testing generating on my 12gb 3060 and it wasn't swift but it wasn't exactly painful either.

5. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

You do need 12+Gb of VRAM for fine tuning if I recall correctly.

Antypodish likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  7. ferretnt

ferretnt

The recent email, subject "Expiring soon - your free month of Muse" appeared to auto-convert to a paid subscription after 30 days if you didn't think to explicitly check your dashboard and cancel it afterwards. This didn't seem to be best-practice messaging for subscription initiation - I'd certainly expect an App Store rejection for my own projects if I had subscriptions with messaging as this was was presented...

Have cancelled before the billing cycle after evaluating.

8. LilGames

LilGames

Yeah but TBF this is "subscription sales 101" as far as tactics go, dating back decades.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

What? App Store subscriptions do this all the time.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not aware of a single subscription that doesn't do that. If you can point me to one I'd love to see it.

11. mgear

mgear

does anyone know where is that place to cancel Muse trial?
    i just cannot find it anywhere now.. : D

12. babbel-ford

babbel-ford

anyone have Muse crapping out on them when they query? it completes about 20% and then stops.

13. PraxedisHaze

PraxedisHaze

Yes. I am having that issue. It's more than 50% of the time. I've asked her how to make sure the developers are aware of the issue (and are hopefully working on it), and she gave me the following info:

You can post your questions and report issues in the Unity Community Forum, where other Unity users and Unity staff are active and could provide further assistance1.

Alternatively, you can contact Unity Support by submitting a ticket directly from the Unity Dashboard. To do this, select DevOps > Help & Support > Ticket > File a ticket1.

For more specific issues related to Unity services, you can also contact support at devops-vcs-support@unity3d.com1.

14. PraxedisHaze

PraxedisHaze

Yes. You just go to your account and flip the little switch. That is:
    My Accounts > My Seats > Muse > then under Subscriptions go to Muse again > Manage Subscription, and from there you can throw the little switch to turn off Automatic Renewal.

15. mgear

mgear

apparently it disappeared when trial ended,
    so there is no Muse mentioned anywhere in your account or seats or history.. which was confusing.

16. seldemirov

seldemirov

I just finished testing muse chat for my tasks. I ran into a number of problems.

1. 100% of the time after 5-40 questions the chat gives a critical error and it is impossible to continue. I have to create a new branch, but I can't load context from the chat with the error. Context transfer is simply not supported. Because of this a.) it is impossible to fully utilize the chat. b.) it is impossible to continue discussing the project.

2. Main. 30$ is too expensive. Microsoft copilot works better, has more features, supports all programming languages, works in an IDE and is much cheaper.

But I like Unity's move in this direction. If they bring the tool to the ground, make context export, add a plugin for popular IDEs and make a competitive price(10-15$), then I'm ready to use this service.
    I also sincerely wish you good luck. It would be great to create prototypes as easy as in Roblox.

I just haven't found where to leave feedback about testing. Because It's here )

lizpomeroy likes this.
  17. ScottMease

ScottMease

I was also underwhelmed by the tools. Muse chat was unable to give me up to date information and kept pointing me to links that didn't talk about what I asked. I'd like to cancel my trial, but I don't see muse under seats. I've filed a ticket, but they claim there is a 2 month backlog on responses which is much longer than the 14 day trial period. I'll update if I hear back with a solution. This whole experience has been a frustrating waste of time.

pKallv likes this.
  18. hibbygames

hibbygames

If they never get back to you, and your credit card gets charged, you can just phone the credit card company and have them reverse the charge, and basically block Unity until they respond to you. I've done that before with a different company. Hopefully they respond to cancel it properly

19. b33tl3

b33tl3

20. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Muse tools are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from production ready. Will we have the opportunity to try Muse again in the future with another free trial?

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    Unifikation likes this.
  21. punkouter24

punkouter24

Muse is only interesting when it integrates with the editor as in 'Create 10 cubes and a plane to drop them on and a give me a 3rd person view and a controller to walk around' and it does it

If that is not there its just a collection of tools that I can already get for free

Unifikation likes this.
  22. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

23. punkouter24

punkouter24

tools from pinokio... and other sites like meshy.. lumaai... dalle3.. Creating resources is everywhere but when Muse can really be part of Unity then I will be interested

24. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Funnily enough, seems like they released a beta of that very recently:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    Flipbookee likes this.
  25. cloverme

cloverme

I was really looking forward to these tools and tried them out in Unity Pulse, which was almost like pre-alpha. Continued to test them over updates and then in the editor. Unfortunately, the quality is very sub par to other AI tools. I know why Unity developed these, but they just don't have that "wow" factor to them. The examples they use in the video are very much carefully cherry picked and fine tuned. Your average experience to make "art" results in something that looks like garbage clip art from the early 90s to melted cookie dough. For example, if you use the animation one and try "Run forward, jump, and turn around 180 degrees", you get something that looks like someone that needs to go to the hospital. All the tools feel very much like "someone in marketing had an idea..." and Unity did the bare minimum with a team that probably lost 75% of it's people in a layoff a few months before the launch and everyone scrambled to get "something" out. I feel like this is going to be one of those things that goes dark after Unity 6 and quietly makes it way to the Unity Graveyard (aka Github).

Unity needs a reality check with these AI tools because they're so far away from other AI tools out there, it's just sad. Below is just one example of a less than ideal result with one tool.

Unity: "explorer with an epic sci-fi background, photorealistic"

Midjourney: "explorer with an epic sci-fi background, photorealistic"

mgear likes this.
  26. punkouter24

punkouter24

i agree. If they are just doing what other tools and doing but being subpar then whats the point. I integration you mention is giving it code. I meant more of an integration with the designer to quickly set things up.. That woudl make it intersting.

27. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Am I reading this right? ( https://blog.unity.com/engine-platform/responsible-ai-and-enhanced-model-training )
    So they didn't use Stable Diffusion models, directly, because of ethical issues... but they used outputs from stable diffusion to practically... "launder" the ethical problems?

That is hilarious.

I don't know what Steam's stance is these days, but I highly doubt they would deem this acceptable if they still reject other AI generated stuff, especially since Unity's look a lot more obviously AI Generated than the average competitor or even free alternatives.

And also for context, while I think all AI output is mostly terrible, this is what you can get without paying or trying much with some random SD based publicly available model.

upload_2024-4-29_18-2-59.png

28. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Steam now allows all AI use if it's disclosed in a new store page section. There are more limits on real-time adult content generation but for regular games anything goes at this point.

AcidArrow likes this.
  29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Which I guess makes Unity's "more ethical but not really" stance even more pointless.

30. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Another half-baked solution pushed out way before its ready in yet another desperate attempt to get some money for the shareholders who are slowly killing everything that made the company great.

31. Thaina

Thaina

Are there anyone know how to use Sentis for federated learning?

I want to distribute the learning process of my system to user's device. But they can then sharing and updating the model used for Sentis to other people

Is it possible? Do Sentis support this scenario ?