Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Unity Game Dev Courses: Swords and Shovels - Create your first game!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by aliceingameland, Nov 2, 2017.

1. DailyCocoa

DailyCocoa

Hi, I remember the instructor mentioning that in January 2018 there will be more videos added to the course. Does anyone have details of what the topics will be and the release date? Looking forward to learning more!

2. methos5k

methos5k

All I know/last read, was that the expected release time was hopefully January, but that wasn't 100% for sure.

3. MikeTilley

MikeTilley

Hi
    I signed up for this the other day and does anyone know if the example files ware going to be updated to the newer versions of Unity? I'm having issues trying to get them to work in 2017.3, errors about depreciated commands and when I try and let Unity upgrade the files it kicks out even more errors. I've been looking at the audio part of the course.

4. bot2600

bot2600

I couldn't find anything anywhere, but whats the licensing on the assets? Is it the same as other Unity example/demo projects?

5. metal_days

metal_days

Will I need photoshop and Maya3d to complete this course ?

6. Rui-Manuel

Rui-Manuel

Hello, i have an issue importing the assets packages with windows10 on Unity 5.3.8p2. All the .tga textures are white blank and all of a great part of all meshes, objects, prefabs looses there names (blank name) textures, components and attributes. Saving tga files at png format recover the content but i have to reassign each one of them to each texture/mesches/assets... I have tried to dezip the files on Unix/macos system without sucess. Anybody can help me ?

7. DmeR

DmeR

This curse isit uptodate so everything still working?

8. weedfreak

weedfreak

Falls over at the first step, select users as 1, click continue to purchase, nothing happens. Does not inspire confidence.

9. Pierre-skinnerup

Pierre-skinnerup

So any news on when the rest of the course is available ?? :) @aliceingameland

10. Skepper

Skepper

Hello All,

Firstly - great idea with this stream - I've already learned heaps with the first few courses! Will definitely keep going.

I had a question however - I'm new to unity (and pretty new to C# as well, hence I started with this pathway). I watched through the beginner courses and started the intermediate course - Navigation Fundamentals - however I found the skill jump from beginner to intermediate was huge.

For example - the beginner C# fundamentals goes through basic programming concepts (loops, methods, variables etc) then the Navigation Fundamentals jumps right into IEnumerables (??) and Coroutines (??) - without any explanation as to what they are, why they're being used etc -- quite a step up!

Are there any suggested "bridging" courses? I'm at a loss as to where to go now as this hasn't provided any foundation with which to jump from beginner to intermediate.

Thanks!

Joel

11. methos5k

methos5k

I'm not familiar with the contents of the course, but you can find at least some information for coroutines here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/scripting

You may be able to find other 'new' things there, too (or in another section).

12. Skepper

Skepper

That seems like a great place to start - thanks Methos!

13. unity_w3Y_fgDDk6sjzQ

unity_w3Y_fgDDk6sjzQ

Hey guys,

I'm unable to purchase the Swords and Shovels Game Dev Course. If I click "continue to purchase" on
    https://store.unity.com/configure-plan/swords-shovels?currency=EUR
    nothing happens.
    I already tried to disable ad-blockers and allow cookies but nothing worked. I'm using the latest chrome browser so this should work.
    Does anyone else have or had the same problem or knows what else I have to do?
    Thanks!

Alex

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Use Microsoft Edge. Currently the store appears to be broken on Chrome.

15. mgear

mgear

So i got this email,

"Wanted you to know Unity Game Dev Courses is free with a Unity Plus subscription. With tracks for Fundamentals and Art (and Programming and Design coming soon), you can continue to learn at your own pace while applying your new skills to your projects."

Since i'm already pluscriber, and was sent this email.. does it mean i get free access also? how to access it?

16. methos5k

methos5k

17. mgear

mgear

doesn't look like so.. i guess need to let subscription expire again like last year to get these bonuses : /

18. D3Duck

D3Duck

Any news on this at all? I'm excited to see the rest of the content!

19. waqascheema

waqascheema

Is this for newbies or any kind of experience required.

20. methos5k

methos5k

I think it's for anyone... however, I think it's a common belief that any new could start off with some basic scripting and unity tutorials before working on this.
    For starters, to get acquainted with things, and see how they like it. Plenty to learn for free, even right here in the 'Learn' section.

If you/anyone is still looking to do more after that, and this seems appealing.. go for it. :)

21. andorfy

andorfy

Can I access this tutorial with an existig Plus subscription, or I should buy a new one to get it? Because I can't find it anywhere.

22. methos5k

methos5k

It might be only for new subscriptions. I saw someone else saying they couldn't find it, and they already had a plus sub. You could always write them and ask.

However, if you did want to get the tutorial and already have a plus sub, I think you should just pay for the monthly tutorial and use it the months you want and/or until done, which is probably cheaper than a second plus sub. :)

23. archmagus

archmagus

I renewed my subscription and confirmed it via chat messaging with Unity support that the "triple boost package" (including Bolt and Swords & Shovels access) would apply to me. I guess there is a time window because it was my last month and the email I received said "if I renewed immediately". I mailed the support and got the Bolt voucher code, but I am yet to access Sword & Shovels (I'm not told how to).

By the way, if anyone knows how the triple boost package reward access will be processed, I would be grateful.

EDIT: I just received reply from Unity support. They tell me that Swords & Shovels access is only for new subscriptions, but since I renewed "immediately" they will give me a 6-month access code. It is a bit from what's advertised (in the support chat I had) but I guess it'll do. I'll just have to watch at double speed :p

24. andorfy

andorfy

Thanks for your answers, I will contact the support!

25. Higginshouse

Higginshouse

ok noobie question. if i am only at 2017 3.1 unity that i just downloaded ho do i get to 5.4? for lots of the assests?

26. methos5k

methos5k

Is this for Swords and Shovels? I don't think you need Unity 5.4 for that. 2017.3.1 is newer.

27. Higginshouse

Higginshouse

no i didnt know if that is version or patch level? for any assets

28. methos5k

methos5k

Not 100% sure that I understand your question. For the assets for swords and shovels, or just any asset in general?
    I've not actually used Swords and Shovels, but I have to take it on faith that 2017.3.1 is compatible with its assets.
    If you're asking about in general any asset(s), then for that you have to check on an asset per asset basis.

29. Pierre-skinnerup

Pierre-skinnerup

So still no news on the rest of the course ??...

30. JusSumGuy

JusSumGuy

Anyone know when the advanced section of the C# scripting which has been coming soon for like a year now will actually be coming out? Because I feel like I got robbed on this course right now.

Pierre-skinnerup likes this.
  31. uni7y

uni7y

some of the C# scripting courses are already published but you have to upgrade your license with Pluralsight:

you don't get all the course material from Swords and Shovels that is displayed on the Unity website, just got a mail back from Pluralsight:
    Thank you for reaching out to us. The account under this email [***********] is showing that you have a subscription that gives you access to certain courses. I am not showing that you have a full subscription with us. Due to this, you are only able to view the courses that are shown on the list that can be found on your home page.

If you are trying to view courses that are not on that list, then you will receive the error message to upgrade.

these are the courses that are released last week:
    Pluralsight – Swords and Shovels: Loot System
    Pluralsight – Swords and Shovels: Character Stat System
    Pluralsight – Swords and Shovels Character Controller and AI
    Pluralsight – Swords and Shovels: Character Inventory System
    Pluralsight – Swords and Shovels: Game Managers, Loaders, and the Game Loop

32. Belcherman

Belcherman

I don't understand; aren't we supposed to have access to ALL Swords and Shovels courses?

uni7y and Pierre-skinnerup like this.
  33. Pierre-skinnerup

Pierre-skinnerup

What is going on here ?!, if you check the programmer track from this site the courses are not out yet, but make a search on pluralsight and voila they show up.

Can we get a response from Unity about this ??

uni7y likes this.
  34. uni7y

uni7y

35. uni7y

uni7y

Update:

I had sent Pluralsight another email because I did not agree with this and now I have received a message from the Support Manager:
    Thank you for contacting us! I have reached out to our technical team and have been informed that we are adding those courses to your subscription type. They should be ready by June 1st if not sooner. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

So check your accounts guys and let me know if it has been added to your account...

D3Duck likes this.
  36. petersh

petersh

I only have some basic game dev skills. Should I join Unity Game Dev courses?

37. uni7y

uni7y

Just try some youtube tuts to see if you like it, then you can always join the Unity Game Dev courses later...

38. ZealotRush411

ZealotRush411

I'm so lost I was watching the tutorial video and did every single thing as he did it his version was from 2014 October 7 its currently June 9 2018 and unity has changed a bit. I feel like that's were some of my issues arise from however to elaborate on my issue: I follow his exact steps and two issues happen either it says my script is not in MonoBehavior or the variable is not applied. I even copied and paced his script onto the page!? this is the link to the video https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/coding-unity-absolute-beginner. if anyone can help me figure this out please god help me I really want to learn how to do this stuff its really interesting and I know the classic prob for computer programmers is "THIS CODE SHOULD WORK BUT ITS NOT ARRRRGG" and some of you are prob like if u cant handle it now u prob shouldn't be a programmer. I want to do this so please if anyone can help me it would be so appreciated

39. methos5k

methos5k

40. jugueton

jugueton

Personally, I would dare Unity to actually check these courses out and their quality before endorsing them. These guys, with a few exceptions, seem pretty unprofessional. Missing videos, missing assets, a lot of copy/paste of dodgy code and bugs they don't seem interested in fixing. Glad I signed up for the trial as paying for it would've felt like robbery as you end up with a broken project at the end. There are better tutorials for free and guys more deserving of your money on patreon. I learned a lot more with Unity's own adventure tutorial about character movement, inventory etc, than any of these. I wouldn't recommend.

41. ramJat

ramJat

hello,
    i have some animation of cortona that i want to import into unity. So Please tell how to convert these files into
    unity. Is there any possible way like third party software or any thing.

42. AlaricTheGoth

AlaricTheGoth

I contact Pluralsight about limited access to Swords and Shovels and was told it was "Unity's problem".
    I contacted Unity Asset Store support and was told it is a licensing issue.
    I have contacted the licensing group and saw that it is a 3-5 day wait for a reply.
    Since Unity is now at 2018.2 I believe, does anyone know of any good close-to-current training materials for game development in Unity?
    Does anyone know of a good game template I could purchase on the Asset Store that might be close to current for 3D fantasy type game development?
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

43. ernievo

ernievo

The Internet was not invented during Einstein's lifetime.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

So has everyone got all the updated videos? And did everyone getting black and white image files finally get that fixed?

45. LillyB

LillyB

Glad to be a part into this community guys. Also glad to see you all.

46. toma00

toma00

Hey, I am new here.

47. unity_0J4F0Nom0Cl_Vg

unity_0J4F0Nom0Cl_Vg

Hello, i'm following the course in openclassrooms which use unity version 4.3.4: I tried the exception DEP for Unity, but the same problem persists. I have Windows 7 64 bits. I also tried to uninstall Unity and reinstalled it but nothing changed. I tried to run it "as an administrator" and in several compatibility modes, including the XP and Vista options. No change! Any help is appreciated. I receive this error:

Nom d’événement de problème: APPCRASH
    Nom de l’application: Unity.exe
    Version de l’application: 4.3.4.31067
    Horodatage de l’application: 52e0691f
    Nom du module par défaut: Unity.exe
    Version du module par défaut: 4.3.4.31067
    Horodateur du module par défaut: 52e0691f
    Code de l’exception: c0000005
    Décalage de l’exception: 00b9d7c0
    Version du système: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036
    Information supplémentaire n° 1: 0a9e
    Information supplémentaire n° 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Information supplémentaire n° 3: 0a9e
    Information supplémentaire n° 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

48. Belcherman

Belcherman

You are using UNITY version 4? You should update to the latest version and give that a go.

49. vizwind

vizwind

Hey, I just subscribed Unity Plus for one year, how could I access this course, which is suppose free to access for Plus users ? I searched everywhere but couldn't find a link to let me access that full course as free.

50. It's in the email you should got about your subscription. Something like this: