Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Introducing Unity ArtEngine for AI-Assisted Artistry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AskCarol, Apr 17, 2020.

1. AskCarol

AskCarol

Artomatix has joined the Unity family! In this session, Founder Eric Risser and Head of Product Ely Leow will demonstrate powerful 3D material-creation workflows and quality-of-life enhancements made available through AI-assisted artistry. Come see what’s possible and what’s on the roadmap for Unity ArtEngine from Artomatix.

When
    Wed, April 29, 10:00 AM PT

Where
    You can watch the session here!
    Make sure to sign up to get access to all Unite Now content.

Together with this Unite Now session we are also hosting a Q&A here in this thread to answer as many of your questions as possible.

A team of product experts from across Unity will be available starting after the session. Our Community team will continue to field questions to foster an ongoing discussion with the community. Please feel free to ask your questions in this thread.

Some basic rules
    • Don’t bundle multiple unrelated questions in one reply. One question/topic per reply.

• Only questions related to the topics of the session are permitted.

• All questions will be fielded by our Community Managers (@LeonhardP and @AskCarol)
      • Replies will have to be approved by the moderators to show up in the thread.

• Once approved, the questions will be forwarded to the relevant experts.

We really look forward to hearing from the community.

Thank you!

2. jawasjnsdjn

jawasjnsdjn

as i learned from brackeys video hdrp takes a large team to make the 10 textures needed to take full advantage of it will artengine be working towards creating tools that will make it so a smaller team could get the most out of hdrp?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Feartheway likes this.
  3. BlakeSchreurs

BlakeSchreurs

This looks fantastic. How do I try it?

Feartheway and Arska85 like this.
  4. shaddad

shaddad

This looks really neat. Some of the video text was unreadable though, you may want to post screenshots for some of the filters you applied. Thanks for sharing!

5. Laamato

Laamato

So to whom is ArtEngine exactly targeted? Indie devs or large enterprise studios, or both? How much does it cost?

6. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Hi. I'm a photogrammetry artist. Mostly I do environmental stuff like rocks etc. Most of my work ends up as a textured mesh with resonable game-ready polycounts. I hate de-lighting solutions out there right now. Sometimes scans have a missed or low detail area. Sometimes I need to get one scan's texture to match another so they can be a set. Sometimes I want to enhance the baked normals.

I worry that if I tried to use your AI to adjust the textures only, it would get confused by the 'edge bleeding' outside the UV island edges. I saw your 3d paint of the Special Ops guy, but I'm wondering if you're thinking about doing stuff to help artists like me work on more than repeating tile problems?

Feartheway likes this.
  7. EricRisser

EricRisser

Unity Technologies

@Laamato:
    Hi Laamato,

Great question. From a sales perspective we're currently targeting the AAA. That said, in parallel we're putting a lot of development effort into making the produce more robust for indies and others later in the year. Right now ArtEngine only works for Windows and relatively high end machines with Nvidia GPUs. The reason is that our algorithms require a lot of processing horsepower and memory to run, so that made the AAA a natural place to start. The goal is for everyone to be using ArtEngine and an Example Based Workflow and that's impossible without making all our tools practical for the entire industry, so we're really focused right now on optimizing the memory usage and extending the list of hardware we can support!

Cheers,
    Eric

8. EricRisser

EricRisser

Unity Technologies

Hi Goatogrammetry,

Good observation. To be honest UV space is a mixed bag at the moment. Some of our features handle it pretty gracefully while others bleed. Currently the plan for our long term roadmap is to go through every node that needs it and add support to plug in your mesh. We'll use the UV space to guide the underlying algorithm. Mutation is the first big feature we've done this for because it's one of the trickiest so we wanted to make sure it was possible and also get some experience working through the challenges. The rest of the nodes should be easier, but it could take awhile as there are a bunch of them!

Cheers,
    Eric

Feartheway likes this.
  9. hcornell

hcornell

Unity Technologies

URP and HDRP are the part of the Unity "Scriptable Render Pipelines". The difference between HDRP and URP are based on the devises you intend to build for. For Mobile, Web, lower end devices you would leverage URP and HDRP for Consoles and higher end hardware (Compute Shader compatible) platforms... Here is a post with some specifics: https://forum.unity.com/threads/con...-to-urp-lwrp-whats-the-difference-now.735497/

As far as creating materials in either URP or HDRP, they are essentially identical with the lack of a few items in URP. Brakeys was commenting on the Templates, and is expecting people to use the full capabilities of HDRP, in which you can use and have more Maps (textures) and processes than in URP.

Unity's HDRP nor URP are at all related to ArtEngine. ArtEngine is a completely separate offering to help studios/artist maximize time in creating and editing seamless and high end textures to use when creating a final set of Materials for their choice of render engine (Unity :URP, HDPR, Standard, or any real time 3D app or any Content Creation app like Maya, Max, Blender.. etc..).

I hope this helps dispel any misinformation on HDRP and textures (Brackey's case is that you may need more textures and thus a team of artist when creating a game that can take advantage of a higher visual quality and fidelity. Like adding Decals (which URP cannot do yet) etc.. best of luck!

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

But how much does it cost?

Feartheway, AcidArrow and Moonjump like this.
  11. Louise_Scully

Louise_Scully

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Thank you for your question. We have different pricing options depending on your studio - and number of seats. Please feel free to ping us directly at info@artomatix.com.
    Thanks a million,
    Louise

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'll be honest, this exact reply tells me that the answer is "too much, just keep doing these things manually or roll your own tools." It's a bit like how Unity source access pricing isn't disclosed.

13. Baste

Baste

Going to second this, @Louise_Scully. When something doesn't have a listed price, that's a big, bad red flag. I know that you're not disclosing it so you have a stronger position to negotiate from, but we're savvy to that, and are not really interested in engaging with a company that's being sneaky like that with their initial offering.

14. Moonjump

Moonjump

Yes, and if there is any negotiation on pricing it is not for the mass market as the sales teams would be too big and consume too much of the run rate.

Unity is about the democratisation of game development. It would be a shame if ArtEngine was not part of that, especially as it looks to have the potential to reinforce the democratisation.

Patrudoizero, knxrb, Rich_A and 2 others like this.
  15. CyRaid

CyRaid

Agreed to the above. I was hoping / excited that it might be free like some other tools that became free from the asset store like before.. but it seems this will be a separate app and a separate license. Might as well just go for Houdini then.

16. JohnHer

JohnHer

Are there any plans to expand this tool's line of thinking to other disciplines? Like say rigging or animation?

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This looks pretty OP, I'm sure a lot of artists would find good use of the AI system!

Feartheway and AskCarol like this.
  18. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Adding my voice to the above. In my experience, anyone who won't give you a price up front is invariably trying to figure out exactly how much they can swindle you out of. You're not going to win any customers that way.

Feartheway, Patrudoizero and knxrb like this.
  19. EricRisser

EricRisser

Unity Technologies

Hi JohnHer,

At the moment the plan is for ArtEngine to become a smart material and image authoring tool. That said, the underlying technology is data agnostic and can be translated to other domains like geometry, audio and animation. The plan is to ultimately build a a suite of creative tools that all work together, still early days!

Cheers,
    Eric

NotaNaN and Moonjump like this.
  20. Efins1987

Efins1987

Looks awesome. How to get started with this?

AskCarol likes this.
  21. AskCarol

AskCarol

Hello Efins1987! You can check out the Free Trial here.

22. disignkiev

disignkiev

Is there any demo like Sherman or Book of dead, new because Sherman is outdated, I want a project with good lighting

Feartheway likes this.
  23. Feartheway

Feartheway

amazing! i hope you get the ergonomics right to make as easy to use as possible :) i hope you keep baked images as an output. I find "smart" materials tend to break very easily crossplatform. I am really interested in how we can all make better digital forests / dungeons. what are the limitations of the free trial demo? https://artomatix.com/

24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The limitations are that it's time limited I think :)

I find it weird that Unity sort of silently launched ArtEngine and no one's really talking about it. Makes me wonder if the software is ready. I guess I'll have to take a trial, but probably later.