Search Unity

Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Neodrop

Neodrop

What exactly you compare ? The pictures or the advertising ? Or did you work with all three editors and have a lot informations to make your conclusion about pricing level of all three ?

2. grrhero

grrhero

Im skeptical about a one stop shop to aid artists on scripting. It always sounds too good to be true.

How much is this geared towards IOS development?

3. Tysoe

Tysoe

All visual scripting does really is help people that can come up with a concept, be familiar with render engines and game mechanics to figure out the logic behind a game and build those processes. If you don't understand these things, outside of quite a few shortcuts it's unlikely that your going to have an easy time of it with a visual editor.

I'm an artist and have been playing with them a fair bit the last couple of weeks. In some instances I have found coding where I have examples available to butcher can be quicker and easier. But if I'm to start anything from scratch the visual editor is easier.

You still have to learn what nodes are available and how they function which is a slow process without good documentation. So far neither of the two I have been playing with have great reference docs and I have trouble figuring out what some things are or where to find them.

4. giyomu

giyomu

visual scripting is not only for artist that do not code :D

can be really useful for coder as well , when you test or protototype things using already some base stuff, useful too when you want get involved guy on your team ( like designer or yes artist ) have some independance to set some behaviors for their needs, and in the end those tool, usually allow you to customize or expands functionalities ( playmaker allow you to write your own action, visio allow to bring in custom code as well, and uScript will allow you to do that too )

then for teh claim of performance , well it is all about measuring , so i usually avoid "theory" about that and test for myself.

in the end visual or not if you don't have the logic with you ( which in that case will allow you to code it using usual script, until you get to know language and it use as also unity API).as Tysoe said you won't go so far.

those are just tools , no magic , they wont make you doing great game without effort and understanding of all logic implied when you do game stuff...

by the way UScript guys hurry up !! ^^, i am impatient to test it out :)

5. bob30

bob30

i meaned the 3d API molehill. What would be interesting for a visual programming tool is to make the logics visually without any coding, and then being able to export the code for all platforms, whatever it is in ActionScript, C#, Javascript, Lua or any other language. Although, i don't really expect it to be an universal visual programming environment.

6. bob30

bob30

I agree; logics is logics, and not C#, or Lua, or any other particular implementation of logics. From an artist point of view, and for a prototyping coder point of view, a visual programming tool allowing to do one's logics independently of the particular languages would be more efficient, and the translation of the logics into particular coding would be its main background function.

7. Tysoe

Tysoe

Blitz Monkey is an interesting form of basic that has recently been released that outputs HTML5 + Flash + iOS + Android + XNA + GLFW
    Though it's still coding and early days yet as a fan of Blitz3D and BlitzMax I thought it was kind of cool. Not really anything to do with unity though.

8. uScript

uScript

Thanks Yung. We hope to have a few new videos soon. It has been a balance between doing those and working on uScript.

While we don't have an official date yet, the Open Beta is looking like it is about 2 weeks out. We hope to be able to confirm a more solid date in about a week as we are wrapping up the last of the major features of version 1 and should know how close we are to the Open Beta once we get those features integrated.

9. marcos

marcos

Liking this

10. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

Let's hope that they keep their word.

11. uScript

uScript

"We hope to be able to confirm a more solid date in about a week..."

Sure thing! ;)

12. rmele09

rmele09

Very excited for the beta! Hope the release date comes out soon.

13. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I'm looking forward to trying out this product. It definitely looks very polished and professional.

You guys have definitely been putting in a lot of time and effort into this.

14. mahema

mahema

Holy Shhhhhhh.... I've just watched all the youtube videos and I instantly thought: "This can't be true, I've to install this right now"... It turned out to be partially true, 'couse it seems to do everything that it says it does, but there's no way of getting my newbie hands on it :/

I would be THE perfect beta tester, 'couse if I can make a script, then everyone else can! :)

15. Omni

Omni

Being someone who has made games as a hobby for more than ten years but can only code the simplest things, I am extremely excited about this! (I've always been more of an artist and designer than a coder.) I've loved Unity as long as I've known about it, but never had the ability to code what I needed. Having experience with visual logic editors, I know uScript and I will get along just fine. ;)

Can't wait to get my hands on this and sink days, if not weeks, if not months into it. You've added another spark to my burning lifelong passion. Looking forward to that beta!

16. 3Duaun

3Duaun

ANTICIPATION NEARING CAPACITY!!! need....true....reflection....now... ;-)

17. Omni

Omni

Been checking this thread and their Twitter multiple times a day. Probably need to find something else to occupy myself with while I wait, but I'm eager to get prototyping!

18. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

Play with Universe or PlayMaker ;)

19. crafTDev

crafTDev

Well, detox studios, it's been a week, where is mah beta? :-D

20. uScript

uScript

Thanks guys! Official announcement on the free open beta date coming tomorrow!

21. crafTDev

crafTDev

22. Valimir

Valimir

Cant wait to take this for a test spin :)

23. mahema

mahema

Biting nails? I'm eating up the tip of my fingers!

24. Omni

Omni

Today is going to be a good day. Even if it's still a week or two out, at least I'll know how long this wait is going to be. Though I hope I don't have to wait too long to sink my teeth into this and get learning!

Hey, be careful. You might need those fingers to use uScript.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  25. uScript

uScript

Hello everyone! We are happy to say that we finally have a date for the Free Open Beta for the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

The free open beta will be available for download on July 1st!

We are currently putting in the last of the v1.0 features so you can all play with everything that will be available in our initial release. We are now also starting on documentation and tutorials (including video tutorials) so we hope to have that well underway as well for you all (though I imagine documentation and videos will continue into the free open beta!).

26. Omni

Omni

Two days before my birthday? A gift, for me? Aww, you shouldn't have.

Thank you for the date; I'll be looking forward to it! Keep up the fantastic work! ;)

27. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

This looks great! I will definitely try it out for the next game I start!

28. larvantholos

larvantholos

July 1st... But I want it now!

j/k

Awesome! Can't wait!

29. ian-mac

ian-mac

Can't wait to give this a go :)

30. zine92

zine92

Cool. At least now we have a date and no waiting without know when it is out. And hopefull it is worth the wait. And thanks again for the great announcement. Will there be more videos?!?! Sorry but i really would love to see what is implemented since the last video. But thanks. Keep up the good work.

31. podda999

podda999

Thanks youuu!!!

32. giyomu

giyomu

ah finally a date :)

very cool , I am curious to see it in action....few day more to wait then :)

33. teamwhitesnow

teamwhitesnow

lol released on my birthday! What a great gift.

34. LevelArtist

LevelArtist

I can't wait to play with uScript! keep up the good work @Detox studios.

Quick story- When I was in school I worked on a mod project with the Gears or war editor(UT) and the name of the project was called DETOX- http://www.levelartist.com/Levels-Design.html click on the bottom left image(Control room) to see some of the project SS. I want to create something like it on Unity using uScript. The main door, elevators and the center projector were all controlled with Kismet. =)

35. Dylan Cristy

Dylan Cristy

Just found this thread, apparently just in time for the open beta! Looking forward to kicking the tires on what looks to be a great tool...

36. rmele09

rmele09

so pumped!

37. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

Do not be so pumped yet.
    You might never know if Uscript will deliver what it promises.

38. zine92

zine92

True, but from what i see, it does simplify some things which makes it less hassle to code manually like triggers and such. And thats only a fraction of what is revealed.

39. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

Please Detox,show us a bit more of the Uscript nodes that Uscript visual scripting is going to offer.

40. Omni

Omni

I'm hoping that through extensive use of nesting scripts (probably nesting scripts in other nested scripts if that's possible) I can build up some fairly complex routines without too much visual confusion.

I'll only really get to find out once I get my hands on it. ;)

41. zine92

zine92

Yeah Good things are worth waiting. :)

42. sawfish

sawfish

There's already been a closed beta, and they have delivered everything that they have thus far previewed!

43. uScript

uScript

Thanks everyone! It is great to see people excited to start playing around with uScript and help us get it ready for the Asset Store! We've been working very hard to get this into your hands!

44. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I've watched the videos and I like what I see, seems like it's very intuitive!

I feel like I already know how to use this thing! I love being able to be in the same tune as the app I'm using, so when I don't know how something is done, I can just use common sense X)

I wouldn't enjoy having to get used to something weird that's hard to understand; being forced to find out about all the secrets and unnecessary steps that some apps require you to learn :(

It's going to be hard to choose between such great options for node programming in unity!

This is exciting! >:D

Regarding the price... will it be too expensive?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  45. yung

yung

3 more days!

46. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

The great thing I like about visual logic editors like this is that when people like artists start using this, they may not realize that they are actually learning to program. It's just a less intimidating interface. After using it for a while, you may find that when you open up that C# book you've been ignoring and it all will suddenly make sense!

47. uScript

uScript

Well, as far as nodes go we have two lists really. The first list is that basically anything that is in a Unity scene wil be reflected as a visual node in uScript. This is everything from GameObject components and properties (like a Camera's FOV, a Light's color and intestity, etc) to reflecting other scripts you have on GameObjects in your scene from either third-party stuff like iTween or custom stuff you or your team has written.

The second list of nodes is our own "high-level" nodes we have been writing (and will continue to write during the open beta) both from our todo list and beta user feedback. These nodes are ones that we try and handle as much as possible for you so they are easy to use.

If you are interested in these nodes, you can see our current list of them in the uScript Node Reference Guide.

This documentation is mostly stubbed in right now, but it should give you at least the node names for now. This documentation will be coming online during the open beta.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  48. uScript

uScript

We have activated the forums for the uScript Community Website so that people interested in the free open beta of uScript can be ready to download it once it is released later this week.

uScript Community Wiki (uScript.net)

Notes:
    1. Our Online Documentation for uScript is still in an early state and mostly containts template and outline information at this time. However, for those more technical and interested in making uScript nodes, the Development Guide already has some info in it!
    2. The community wiki is still offline and will not be activated until later in the beta process.
    3. The download link on the forum isn't active yet of course.

49. zine92

zine92

oh, i am so excited. Finally, waiting for so long and 1 day left for open beta. I checked out the website and it looks pretty neat. Nice and cool little timer tooo.. So exciting. Can't wait.

50. G-Rom84

G-Rom84

eh, the game is not the only pushing the elevator`s doors... as for them it could not be a great effort to code such trigger once and then reuse this script everywhere is needed, for complex things there still no way to get rid of coding, optimizations and stuff like that. I think that even if uScript could generate a code I`ll better not to show it for our programmers to avoid myself been punched in the face strongly. also only god knows how it will work with all modules which are allready built.

I am pretty sceptic about all this visual coding stuff, for pros it`s only for make them laugh, for begginers useless becase as i have seen from tut videos there is need to know and type in commands anyway(which user must learn and know already to make things work, so such person who would use uScript is meant not to be a noob at the beginning) in properties field, paths for resources etc...

For now I`m seeng the only good usage for this plugin(of course if we will buy it for the reasonable price) is for prototyping some behaviors to show it to the programmers team as a reference of what I`am trying to achive from them. But also I think I will need someone from the programmers to seat somewhere around me and teach how to use this tool lol... node based approach seems easy and logic only when whatching video tutors, and while things getting complicated the only thing which I could say about it looking at the branchy node graph is - "bloody mess")))

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011