Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Apr 6, 2011.

1. garyhaus

garyhaus

@Detox - HECK YEAH! Too much fun! Smoky and the Bandit indeed!

Nice. I am so looking forward to this.

2. uScript

uScript

As an update to this, we will be revealing another uScript feature soon that offers some innovative support regarding this topic that makes things pretty easy for the end user.

3. ssfulfer

ssfulfer

This looks very interesting. Will mobile features such as touch events, accelerometer, etc. be supported? Also, I noticed Playmaker has a better component for mobile GUI then Unity's built in one. Will this have something similar? In general, I'm trying to determine how well mobile will be supported.

-Steven

4. garyhaus

garyhaus

Hoping for the mobile specific support!!!

5. uScript

uScript

Mobile support (all Unity platforms) are supported at no extra charge. We will be creating nodes and events specifically for these platforms both leading up to release based on open beta feedback and beyond our initial release.

6. garyhaus

garyhaus

Yippeee!!! I am BEYOND excited now!!!

7. ssfulfer

ssfulfer

Wow! Thanks for the quick response about Mobile support. Now I'm getting excited about this tool and really looking forward to the beta.

-Steven
    modo + Unity iOS

8. stimarco

stimarco

<SCOTTISH ACCENT>

Ah like the cut 'o yer jib! Ahm in!

</SCOTTISH ACCENT>

Do you guys take cash?
    Cheque?
    Cards?
    My (late) grandmother?
    Excess limbs*?

* (What do they do with all those arms and legs anyway?)

9. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Wow can't wait for the open beta.

10. uScript

uScript

We hope to be able to announce our open beta date soon. We are actually in a cosed beta right now and we are evaluating an open beta timeframe based on the feedback we are receiving (please do not ask to be in the closed beta, we have a specific team we are working with and if we need to expand we will let you know!)

Thanks again everyone for your interest in uScript!

11. Havok

Havok

uScript, iScript We all script with uScript!

12. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Is it wrong that I'm holding off a gaming project I have to do for class to wait for this to come out?... That way, my game might actually WORK.

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

Lol @ Dreamcube017...

14. sawfish

sawfish

I think implementing all of the possible methods from the Scripting Reference Manual would be very important, especially in the case of Code Reflection. If you don't have everything, when attempting reflection you may come up with unknown nodes in your visualization, right?

Since SAWFISH Entertainment is developing exclusively for Android currently, in order for us to buy the product it would definitely require those be in there. Thanks for your continuous updates and responses on this thread.

15. sawfish

sawfish

You better just hope that it comes out before semester end! lol

16. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

That's what I'm hoping... otherwise I'll just get by with what I can and hope for the best as far as hand written scripts go.

You konw there was one script I had that was written compltly right... but it just chose NOT to work?... something about a sudden power outage or something... but just... NO... I'm not going to compile even though every character and word and line is in place... nice... How dependable.

17. uScript

uScript

Do you mean how public variables are exposed in uScript? If so, we expose them in the same way we do a Property. You can read or set the value:

18. jjobby

jjobby

From my understanding, there is a step that you created global variable in the graph in your second video. If this graph is used to attach with multiple game object then how each graph in these game object interact with the global variable. I think the point is that each global variable shouldn't have the same name.

19. uScript

uScript

In the case of having "global variables" that you create in uScript (like in our video example)- they are global within that instance of the uScript- not between them. Named Variables is a better term I think. We have other ways of sharing those values between instances of a uScript in that case.

The key thing I mentioned before is that with uScript, you don't need to make a bunch of different uScripts that you would assign to different GameObjects and manage separately (you can though-- we don't force you to use uScript in a certain way). It is a different paradigm of thinking than how Unity works without a visual scriptor in that you really only need one uScript "graph" managing your entire game (or one per level/scene for larger games).

By default, uScript graphs are assigned to a master GameObject in your scene. If you want to have more task-specific graphs, you can create uScript graphs for that and just add them to your main game uScript graph as a nested uScript (SubSequence for you Kismet users)-- which is then itself shown visually as an action node in your "main" uScript graph.

More on multiple uScript graph communication and nested uScripts coming soon.

20. uScript

uScript

I just realized there may be a question about the above image regarding public variable reflection as you may have multiple objects in your scene with the same script (and public variables) attached to them. uScript has you assign an instance of a GameObject to the variable/property node so it knows which one in the scene you want to use (I had not assigned an instance of the MyGameObject GameObject in the last example image-- sorry!): See this example:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  21. Hans

Hans

this is looking very good.

When is the beta due?

22. uScript

uScript

Thanks Hans! We are currently in a close beta and evaluating a target date for when the open beta should start. I hope to give everyone a better time frame for the uScript Open Beta next week at some point.

23. crafTDev

crafTDev

Count me in for when Open Beta starts...

24. oggy31

oggy31

Easter today. You could open a bete today. I'm impatient

I use a translator, and I'm Polish.

PS. Poland is a country in Europe

25. zine92

zine92

Hoping the beta comes out before may becuz i am also considering whether to buy vizio because the eval period is till may. And i see potential in uscript. Anyways keep up the good work.

26. Neodrop

Neodrop

zine92 Possibly we will prolong the trial period in next build.

27. uScript

uScript

We are starting a new video series to show you some of the great features uScript has to offer. We call it the “Feature Quick Look” series. The first video is available now. Please give it a look!

This Feature Quick Look video focuses on nested uScripts (also known as Subsequences by some). It shows how easy it is to turn your visual scripts into custom action nodes to be used by uScript. We take the alarm setup from our previous video series and turn part of the visual logic into a custom action node– all from within uScript!

It is available on both YouTube and Screencast.

28. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

This is a great feature, and really one of the most useful things about visual scripting, I especially like the external connections blocks, as they allow you to make clear what your inputs are into the new block. Interesting.

29. MitchStan

MitchStan

Very cool - thanks for showing us that.

30. crafTDev

crafTDev

Great!!

31. zine92

zine92

Thanks. Personally i like vizio too but i am just a student and i don't wanna spend too much on these plugins and looking for a good one for school projects. :)

32. uScript

uScript

Here are a couple of other bits of information to go along with today's video.

Out sockets:
    We could have also used the external connections to create "out sockets" on the node we made. The image below show me doing that (refer to the new video if you are not sure what you are looking at). The bottom part of the image shows the updated node with two output sockets that were not in the video.

C# Output:
    The nested uScript are the same as any other uScript- the uScript tool will output them as C# code.

33. monsterhead

monsterhead

Wow I can't wait to try out uScript. Looks Great.

34. luigix

luigix

Just watched all uScript videos and I'm amazed!

I'm working on my first complete unity project (you can see something here http://rayxjewels.tumblr.com/),
    and even if it's something "easy" (nothing really is when it comes to do something more than just a prototype)
    I'm writing just a lot of code.

I wonder how uScript works with different scenes, singletons (let's say the "dontDestroyOnLoad" objects), AI, etc...
    I mean, making a videogame is not just an "action-reaction" thing, but there's a lot of "underground logics code" that can't be coded visually.

btw I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on uScript beta.
    What are we supposed to do in order to have access to it? Is it going to be totally open?

Plus, do you already have an idea about the price range?
    I mean is it going to be closer to 100$ or 500$ ?

Anyway thanks and keep up the great work!!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  35. Polyboy

Polyboy

Absolutely amazing looking. I was just about to buy playmaker, but to me uScript looks even a bit nicer regarding layout. It reminds me of XSI, or Modo's new schematic view. Color coding Inputs and nodes is a great idea, it all really looks well-arranged and a pleasure to work with.
    The youtube videos are a bit choppy here and there though... can you tell us a bit about runtime performance? Or is it due to screen capturing software?
    Also Playmaker is all about building state machines - is uScript following the same approach?
    And all iOs specific input will be accessible through nodes as well?

Really looking forward to it, keep it up!

36. Mark_T

Mark_T

Impressive approach regarding "visual programing".
    I`m not a programmer but it looks very powerful, very logical and easy to use. Almost to good to be true. :)
    So far, in your short presentations you created scripts for each game object individually. If I want to assign the same script to many game objects at once, something like editing all of them together; as a group or list, do I have such an option? Or if I want to create a custom LOD system or some very specific game mechanics, or some post-processing effects, how much freedom I have to do such a task? To be precise, do you know any specific limitations uScript might impose?
    I`m also interested in developing for mobile devices too, so my question is: Any constraints developing for android or iOs? Except the ones, of course, imposed by Unity.

I totally enjoyed your presentations and the way you reveal the whole thing. You created high expectations here. :)
    I`m tempted to ask about the price range, but I won`t. :)

37. uScript

uScript

I'll be compiling everyone's answers later today, but this was an easy one!

Yes, it is Camtasia's lossless capture codec causing the low frame rate in the videos. I am going to do a lossy test with Divx today and see if the quality is acceptable. On the system I recorded the videos on, that scene runs at an average of 750 fps with the door alarm active.

uScript has no overhead of its own at runtime-- it generates C# code at design time (though just like any tool, it is up to the user's skill on what they get out of it!). See here for more details.

38. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

@uScript - Are assets required to be in the Resources folder to be used? I was under the assumption that everything is the Resources folder is loaded at runtime. Something like that could be a show stopper for mobile devices trying to optimize memory usage.

39. Dreamora

Dreamora

resources aren't loaded at runtime, only when you load them.
    the only difference between other folders and resources is that resources are always in the build, independent on if they are used or not, unlike normal assets outside the resources

40. uScript

uScript

Hello Jacob!

dreamora is correct in regards to how the Resource system in Unity works. Your concern is still a valid one however in that sometimes streaming an asset when you need it (the Resource method) is not the correct solution either as it can cause your game to "hitch" as the asset loads (especially on slower devices). In these cases you might want to "cache" the asset by loading it when your scene loads so it is ready to use when you need it (paying the load time up front to avoid the "hitch" mid-game if you will).

One of the great things about uScript is that we can implement many of the tricks (most found right here from this community!) into uScript's workflow so the end user doesn't need to be aware of them. The example I just mentioned is a case of this where we are looking into ways to implement such things in a seamless way into the uScript tool itself where it makes sense-- both for release and to support new development tips and tricks post-release.

41. 3Duaun

3Duaun

when oh when is the openBeta? :) cannot wait!

The C# automatic code export is our team's #1 needed feature for a visual scripting toolset(to better prevent showstoppers that the visual tool has possibly created); while keeping any extra overhead out of the equation for mobile platforms(we of course need all that horsepower for the actual game, not extra layers of logic processing just for scripts we choose to "visually script").

Do Playmaker or Vizio export to C#? I havent seen that either of them perform this feat.

Your interface, and open approach to allowing the community to better the underlying script that uScript generates, is VERY encouraging. The inclusion of reflection support is, WOW! Thank you.

are there yet any rough estimates out there for beta date, and a price-range on this great tool?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  42. Zug

Zug

Hmm...real c# export, no 'hidden' binaries...

Just a 'wild-not-thought-through' question: how applicable could this be to NON-unity C# code? I assume any external libs would have to be mono (ie. not WPF)...but...the possibilities beyond game/multimedia are interesting...

43. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

This looks amazing.

Has someone already asked about what pricing will be? How about an estimated launch date?

Sorry if this was already addressed. I read the first few pages of the thread, then jumped to the last two.

44. uScript

uScript

Thank you WinningGuy! We have not yet announced pricing other than to say we will be competitively priced. We have not yet announced a release date, but should have a target "free open beta" date for you all soon so you can try uScript and provide us feedback.

45. Filto

Filto

I'm eager to get started on my new project but that ain't gonna happen until I get my hands on uscript :) If the pricing is okey you've got yourself one buyer here so hurry hurry

46. cupsster

cupsster

just one little question for bad boys behind uScript: Please guys, will you add support for XML via some module? [read/write instance pos/rot/scale/custom in editor/runtime] o_O

47. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Same goes for me. I am working on art assets... but nothing's working at the moment. How soon is soon... like... this week soon or sometime in may soon... *is super eager and excited*

Sorry if I sound like I'm hastling you. I'm being slightly silly when asking these questions, ... but feel free to answer them all the same. xD

48. 3Duaun

3Duaun

+1, wondering if we will see the beta-release this week, in a month, or sometime this summer?

49. hizral

hizral

u the maaaannnnnnn.

50. JohnyZuper

JohnyZuper

I'd like to know that too.
    I'm eager to start learning.
    And to evaluate uScript versus Universe.
    It would be good to have an estimate. So we can schedule our work.