Search Unity

Official Introducing the new URP 3D Sample

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Jonas-Mortensen, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

how many compiling shader prompts do I need to see after pressing play on first terminal scene that is loaded on the demo scene?.. I should just record a video of this... its ridiculous.. you guys even playtest on a fresh machine?

also dissapointed to still see URP still haven't bothered making a point of showing they can provide a proper example of glass, where there is some sort of transparent alpha shadow casted from it.. instead it just looks like sun shines right through as if there was no reduction in light. https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/173q3ae/urp_transparent_shadow_casting_not_working/

andreiagmu and shikhrr like this.
  2. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

60mins and still compiling the build with all scenes on ryzen3700x for anyone else interested in bothering... unity why even release this honestly

andreiagmu likes this.
  3. Jonas-Mortensen

Jonas-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    The 2023.3 release will run render graph out of the box but is still a couple of weeks away from being released.

andreiagmu and nasos_333 like this.
  4. Jonas-Mortensen

Jonas-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Hey. These excessive build times are unfortunately expected currently. PC is especially slow.

One of the reasons is that PC supports more lights per camera (256 vs 32 for mobile) which makes the compilation time of individual variants much longer. We are working on making this number configurable as the project is designed to never have more than 32 lights on screen anyway so being able to limit it (and in turn decrease build times) would be great. Would also make the play mode stutters take less time.

There are other compilation optimizations in the pipeline as well but it's hard to say when they will land. I hope you still find some value in the project from a learning perspective even though the build times are far from ideal right now. Only enabling one quality level and building one scene could be an option until we sort things out.

andreiagmu and shikhrr like this.
  5. Jonas-Mortensen

Jonas-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Tomorrow I'm joining a Unity livestream to talk about the new URP Sample Scene. Thought it might interest people in this thread:

The plan is to dive deep in to some more technical URP stuff. Mainly I'll be talking about how to do custom post processing in URP (by building the Oasis fog from scratch) and I'll also talk about how to write custom passes using the upcoming render graph API. Hope to see you there!

kypo9, saskenergy and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  6. FYI: it is still unlisted on the Unity YT account. It's non-discoverable basically.

7. CitizenZero000

CitizenZero000

These are fantastic! Great for learning and experimenting with. Thank you for all the hard work we know that goes into this. It is much appreciated.
    Importing Unity's Starter Assets package into a project with these sample scenes causes errors with the input system. Should be easy to reproduce.

AljoshaD, ali_mohebali and osmank_02 like this.
  8. sacb0y

sacb0y

Is there an example of APV scenario blending?

DevDunk likes this.
  9. RogueStargun

RogueStargun

The cockpit scene was quite beautiful. I will admit I was a little disappointed when I dived into it and found that the toonshader was setup to use an AO texture which needs to be provided beforehand. I also noticed a lack of leveraging of camera stacking for that particular example which I found was necessary to build an actual VR starfighter game.

Here's some footage from Rogue Stargun, which will have to happily make do with the Simple Lit shader for the time being.

P.S. How does the toonshader in the Cockpit sample compare to Simple Lit in terms of performance? If I tried building a similar shader, could I conceivably go from 72 fps to 90 fps on the quest 2?

10. DevDunk

DevDunk

Usually toon lit shaders are similar performance, sometimes even heavier since it takes realistic lighting and then modifies it

Gasimo likes this.
  11. sacb0y

sacb0y

Cause TAA and STP don't work with camera stacking still :p

12. RogueStargun

RogueStargun

Thank you. I figured as much due to the additional outline pass. This basically answers my question, although I do love the more stylized look.

13. DevDunk

DevDunk

Then go for it :p
    Modern hardware should be able to handle it easily if you use it wisely

14. nutthan

nutthan

When I play the Garden scene in the IOS target setting in (2022.3.14f1)
    it has a Shadow flikering in some camera angle
    <>

I also has the same problem in my own project (shadow missing at some camera angle) so i look in to how you guy setting it in the Demo scene
    But it has the issue also.

15. sacb0y

sacb0y

Is this forward+?

It looks like light culling, i've seen this happen and usually solve it by marking lights as important.

16. nutthan

nutthan

Yes it is forward+ the render data from the project
    upload_2024-1-15_9-43-0.png

I also try setting it to Impotant with no avail//I change only the that light to be important

Attached Files:

17. seok-in-yoon

seok-in-yoon

18. TheMK-_-

TheMK-_-

Hi these look great! Is there a way I can import the scenes into an existing project at all?

19. Avery78

Avery78

The URP 3D Sample promises to revolutionize the way we experience virtual environments. Its cutting-edge technology offers a seamless blend of realism and interactivity, setting a new standard for immersive gaming and simulation. Can't wait to explore its capabilities!:confused:

20. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

Why do I feel like an AI wrote this...

fullerfusion and Pitou22 like this.
  21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I recorded a video:

It's a general problem with 2022+ , what used to be maybe a small hitch of a frame or two is now a, sometimes multisecond, hang with a prompt, it's super distracting and annoying, not sure how people can use 2022+

Peter77 likes this.
  22. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

It's pretty bad. But far from a dealbreaker, considering it only happens once, and in the editor. This is basically the worst case, since all of it happens at once as this project is loaded for the first time on your computer, building something over time doesn't really incur many shader compilation issues.

That, however is not the main problem for making games. The real issue is the insane shader compilation time spent on builds.

23. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's a dealbreaker for me and at the very least it is a big regression since 2021 compiles shaders much faster.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Try to remove the shader compile asynchronous acceleration and see if helps.

This mode was like 10 times slower for me in certain projects.

25. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

Regression? Definitely. Really annoying when opening a new project too, yeah absolutely. But for actually making your own project, it really isn't a problem since sharer compilation comes in tiny doses as you go. I'm not sure I see the dealbreaker.

26. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's just as bad in sync mode, I submitted a bug report a while back.
    Since we're in polishing stages, I often focus how things "feel". And it's easier to do that when I'm at the start of the working day, where I'm also fresh and am seeing things for the "first" time that day, and things that feel wrong jump out to me more easily.

Having to play each section at least once to be able to play it without interruptions completely ruins this, so it's a dealbreaker for me. It's obviously not for you, we don't need to agree.

I'm just a little flabbergasted because I thought it was mostly an issue with my project (which has a ton of custom shaders), so I was a bit confused when I found it also happens a ton with URP and people somehow say that 2022 and 2023 editors feel better.

CodeRonnie likes this.
  27. Gasimo

Gasimo

Sadly this is absolutely not viable for mid-grade tiled GPUs. The performance impact of default URP (and URP toon shaders) is ridiculous. If you really want a proper toony renderer, you might consider it worth it to switch to a whole toon oriented SRP. I found a pretty neat and fast one here.

28. bden98

bden98

Hi,
    Did someone try to make it work for Meta Quest lens ?