Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Introducing the new 'Universal Render Pipeline' and 'High Definition Render Pipeline' subforums!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by UnityMaru, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hello there!

After much feedback from our users and staff alike, we have decided to create new subforums for the URP/LWRP and HDRP areas within Graphics.

In aid of doing this, I have moved a bunch of threads that have had tags 'hdrp' and 'lwrp' to these new forums.

- Forum threads created in General Graphics tagged with 'hdrp' have been moved to 'High Definition Render Pipeline'

- Forum threads created in General Graphics tagged with 'lwrp' have been moved to 'Universal Render Pipeline'

The minor drawback is that the forum system has not told me that notifications have been sent to the thread starters so apologies if you've thought your thread has gone missing. Also, if you have a thread that is not tagged that you want me to move, please DM this to me and I'll move it over!

Please don't hesitate to post any questions/comments/feedback about this. I hope this addition makes discussing these topics a little easier.

Vincent454, P_Jong, dzamani and 7 others like this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Is there going to be just an SRP forum? I love the whole SRP system, but it feels like Unity is distancing itself more and more from it like... conceptually? Lots of docs are out of date or nonexistent, near as I can tell there's a single resource online that's 2019 compatible and even that's kinda tricky to use because the lack of documentation on Unity's end means that sometimes I'm just making estimated guesses at the actual functionality of the API.

3. elbows

elbows

Thanks for these forums. I think the Visual Effect Graph will need its own forum at some point too.

And for a while there may still be some confusion, since there are still plenty of active Universal and HDRP posts in the Graphics Experimental Previews subforum - perhaps it would be a good idea to pop in there and announce the new subforums there too?

https://forum.unity.com/forums/graphics-experimental-previews.110/

Perhaps also move the pinned thread about LWRP changing to Universal to the Universal subforum too? Lightweight Render Pipeline is Evolving!

4. TeotiGraphix

TeotiGraphix

Is there a blog post on this change? Or is this completely "internal" right now?

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I remember at an older Unite they were talking about how LWRP was simple enough that it could serve as a starting point to write your own SRP, and I played with it a bit back then and it was fairly straight forward (and... well... fun!).

I've wanting to make my own SRP since then, but I've been waiting for the API to stabilize. But in the meantime, the complexity has risen dramatically and the docs have not kept up.

It feels like Unity doesn't want us to make our own SRPs any more.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

I firmly bought into SRPs being the future of how I was going to develop in Unity, and am working on a special editor tool designed around making an SRP a more automated process, integrating it with making Amplify Shader Editor, that sort of thing. Unfortunately, trying to actually work on that is like pulling teeth with how bad the documentation is.

7. Prodigga

Prodigga

May be worth compiling a list of all the pain points and making a post about it. Id Id definitely give it a bump. Unity gets to add stuff for themselves as the engine level as they encounter problems and limitations, I think it would be good for them to have an inside into an outsiders perspective.

8. Hexer_

Hexer_

TeotiGraphix likes this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

The two pain points are a lack of communication and next to nothing in the way of up to date documentation, which is something that has been explained to Unity hundreds of times in many different contexts, including this one. The pain points are the thing that has been always happening.

10. Hexer_

Hexer_

When documentation is lacking, I just open up the code if I can and look into it to see what's happening.

11. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Thank you! I agree, I've done this right now :)

Also, thank you all for your comments so far - it's not going unnoticed!

NeatWolf and elbows like this.
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Cool, I think it'd be nice to have some real documentation so I don't have to do this thing that takes substantially longer and so it's possible to deal with API changes.

There's no reason to get into this "WORKSFORME WONTFIX" garbage where fundamental UX issues are ignored because you're okay with wasting time.

13. Hexer_

Hexer_

I dunno. I won't live forever. I just can't wait.
    To each their own.. I'm just saying I'm adapting to the current situation but I too wouldn't mind the newest documentation. However, I understand that if the same person's developing something and has to document it - takes more time.

I suggest they allow user comments beneath each doc entry, similarly to what PHP documentation has.
    Example: https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.file.php
    That would be a godsend and we could help each other

Weendie-Games, MattMaker and grizzly like this.
  14. grizzly

grizzly

+1 for this! Have considered this myself in the past as I think that it's a great way for more experienced developers to share tips, tricks and best practices as well as fill in blanks missing from the docs. It'll require moderation and a rating system (as per the PHP docs) to ensure only the most useful posts bubble to the top.

Hexer_ likes this.
  15. Murgilod

Murgilod

Well then maybe Unity should stop acting like a plucky indie studio with 20 employees and start leveraging the fact that they're a multibillion dollar business with over 2000 employees on staff? I dunno, just spitballing here.

16. pixelante

pixelante

@UnityMaru
    Can you add a urp tag to the forum? Right now it still forces us to use lwrp and that's going to get confusing going forward.

17. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Good idea! I've added this now. Can you just let me know if you also see this?

18. bitinn

bitinn

Where should Core SRP related threads go, for the moment? I would think UWP because most custom SRP are likely a customized form of UWP (or at least share similar API).

19. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

I would say for now, General Graphics. This is something we're discussing internally but once a formal decision is made, I will let you all know.

20. pixelante

pixelante

Yup, all good. Thanks.

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i do not need another threads where official unity employees do not answer...
    see: https://forum.unity.com/threads/lightweight-render-pipeline-is-evolving.707720/page-4#post-4933838
    barely any reaction from unity, just some answers from @aleksandrk after a long time and a couple of posts.
    any reaction from tim cooper? nope.
    as unity always points out the importance of the community i think this is a bit embarrassing. just make sure that you have at least one thread where you collect feedback – not only using the bug reporter.

Meltdown, Kaen_SG and id0 like this.
  22. bitinn

bitinn

Just a quick nag: having a Core SRP sub-forum would be a pretty good way to gather questions like mine, or at least give this kind of question more exposure. As I doubt SRP team members have time to scroll through General Graphics.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cor...r-different-scene-view-drawcameramode.771986/

23. MTUA

MTUA

Untitled.png
    Hi guys.

Please what is this? I need someone to explain why that progress bar keeps on looping indefinitely. I can't get into any of my HDRP projects. This the second 2020 version(2020.1.1 and 2020.1.3) I've downloaded with this issue and data is not affordable in this country. What should I do?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    alemb0407 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.