Search Unity

Introducing the COPY / PASTE COMPONENT MONITOR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aohct, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Aohct

Aohct

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to present a new Editor Tool I've just uploaded to the Asset Store, the Copy / Paste Component Monitor.

Located Here: http://u3d.as/content/andrew-akkermans/copy-paste-component-monitor/2qK

Check out a Demo of it in Action:

Features:
    • Searched your Scene and your (optional) your assets for a given component
    • Visually represents your found components in a list
    • Has two component search methods, by dragging and dropping a component type, and by selecting a component from a list of available components
    • Has live (continual) refreshing and a rescan button
    • Lets you copy all the variables of a component to another component on another object
    • Visually represents which component/s you have selected
    • Visually represents which component you have copied
    • Enable and Disable each component easily and visually
    • Delete any component you want
    • The ability to see a component inside the heirarch without selecting it
    • The ability to paste a copy of the component (with matching variables) to a new gameobject
    • Fits in an easy to use window
    • Can be placed inside your usual layout
    • Can be accessed with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+M

Known Issues:

Does not copy/paste Particle Emitters.

If a script has dependencies of some sort it wont be replaced (this will show up on the debug log - camera render layers are a good example).

A couple of unity script are internally called, so some variables wont be copied across (this is in rare or odd cases)

My Story:

I created the Copy Paste Component Monitor because I wanted a go to tool for examining components whilst playing Unity. For some reason, Unity had never given the original engine the ability to transfer variables and variable links between similar Components. At the time, I was into basic editor scritps. As time went on I continued to add to the tool as it became more important to know what was going on inside my gamobjects.

This tool is the final vision of that goal. I'm hoping it will be a useful tool for anyone who wants the ability to more comfortably control work-flow in unity.

Future Products:

These are some future products I will be releasing on the Unity Asset Store in the future:

Dynamic One-Draw Call Objects

I want to share a utility, which allows dynamic creation of objects which can move, animate scale completely independently on one draw call. Basically the bigger brother of Dynamic Batching! The only thing limited to the object is Material Animation (not the old-school sort of switching UV points though). All you'll need to do is an add a component or call a line of code, and the objects will be collected together as one draw call (based on material). This is done, and just needs some love and polish.

Thank you for any thoughts, feedback, or opinions!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Interesting! :)