Search Unity

Assets Introducing Texture Wang, node based procedural texture generator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dizzy2003, Apr 15, 2018.

1. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

Its on public beta on github before eventually going to the asset store

https://github.com/dizzy2003/TextureWangBeta

Runs almost entirely on the GPU so has really fast iteration and realtime updates even with hundreds of nodes.

It's like blenders texture node system or a cut down Substance Designer, but integrated into unity.

Currently supports animating textures, float half or byte based maths, subroutines, exporting paramaters. Generates albedo,normal,heightmap, occlusion maps, supports tessellated shaders.

Looking for people to test, and hopefully get some showcase art/ more subroutines, as a programmer I'm not the best at creating textures :)

2. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Oooh, interesting :D Will have a look!

3. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

I made a tutorial on how to use TextureWang

twobob and ecurtz like this.
  4. ecurtz

ecurtz

This looks fantastic! Will there be the equivalent of a stand-alone substance that can be released separately and still configured at runtime?

5. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

That wouldnt be too hard to do, but at the moment I'm only really implementing features I need myself in my own project.

6. pwTA

pwTA

Your tool rocks, dizzy2003! I'm a senior technical artist - with distinct emphasis on TECHNICAL - at a small-ish studio and am all-in on procedural tools that help make up for my distinct lack of skills with Photoshop and a Cintiq. :rolleyes: Being able to largely re-use node networks to adapt them to similar needs on completely different projects, as well as iterate quickly to tweak the look of the texture(s), makes something like absolutely invaluable. Kudos as well for NO crashes or other weirdness in a whole afternoon of messing around.

I'll be first in line to throw money at you once the tool is released! In the meantime, however, the beta is both useful and robust. If I could make two suggestions based on me admittedly limited use they'd be:
    • Enhance the comment node to allow for a) surrounding blocks of nodes (and not obscure them), b) colorizing the comment box (to make blocks of node easily identifiable by function/purpose), and c) moving any nodes surrounded by a comment move together, if the that comment is moved. (I use Amplify Shader Editor quite a lot and very much appreciate their comment functionality, which is exactly as I described).
    • Allow TAB'ing - as well as the current right click'ing - in the canvas area to pull up the node list and, if you to this, make the node list immediately searchable. Eg. With the canvas node list opened, I want to be able to just start typing "m-u-l-t" and have the list update will all nodes containing that string (Multiply, Multiply2). Basically, I'd like to be able to be able to lay down nodes in the canvas area without taking my hands off the keyboard. Because, you know, I'm a lazy game developer. ;)
    Thanks again for this tool!! It feels a little like Xmas stumbling across this today.:D

Edit: Oh yes, and the name is fantastic. LOL.

7. blaher

blaher

add hypertexture support please :) It would be amazing.

8. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

@pw
    I did actually have the comment functionality you mention, but it got lost in an update I took from the open source node system. Its great to hear someone actually liked TextureWang and found it useful though. Am still updating it occasionally on my local branch (I have keyboard shortcuts now) but didnt really update github much due to lack of interest.

9. KnightsFan

KnightsFan

@dizzy2003 I just stumbled across this today and it's incredible! It's exactly what I need. I have been so frustrated with other texturing workflows that I was seriously considering building something similar (and much much simpler--your solution is really great), hence a google search and this discovery. Are you still working on it at all? I'd love to peek at an updated version, or contribute to the project if I can.