Search Unity

Official Introducing Meta Quest Support in AR Foundation

Discussion in 'AR' started by KevinXR, Jun 20, 2023.

1. CyborgGames

CyborgGames

Please help. I have created a game in which I need to move around the physical room with pass-through. As soon as I leave the visible circle on the floor (the boundary of the current position) the message "You left your boundary. Please..." e.t.c.
    Is there any way to disable this warning? At least when using the physical space of my room. Been looking for a solution for a long time, but can't find one.

PS
    In developer mode has option name: "Boundary" who disable all warnings and i am can free movement for any direction and any distance. But i am want something like this in my game))

A am use Meta quest 3 device.
    Unity 2022.3.17f1
    OpenXR Plugin 1.9.1 , AR foundation 5.1.2. OpenXR meta 1.0.1

Thank you very much for any help!
    pic.jpg

Attached Files:

2. josephtmeyer

josephtmeyer

Thanks, I'm passionate but my emphasis wasn't meant as yelling.

I would love to know if you anticipate these incompatibilities to be resolved with the URP team at some point. I'd hoped to use some HDR and bloom post-processing visuals in a passthrough experience for both Quest and AVP but although recommendations everywhere are to use URP and ARfoundation, this seems to be a strong reason not to bother. I'm still learning and have time to be patient if it's worthwhile, I'd just like to know if that's a technical impossibility or a conflict for resolution, that remains unclear. The way it's in the documentation now doesn't quite indicate how this is necessary for passthrough, is there any way to have passthrough using meta without disabling HDR and post-processing in URP?

3. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Unfortunately I don't think the Unity URP team or any graphics programming team is going to be able to make general purpose Post-Processing and HDR viable or performant with head mounted XR / AR / VR on this current generation of Qualcomm XR chipsets. They're just massively underpowered compared to tethered "PC" VR hardware or the Apple Vision Pro's M2 chip for that matter, nor does anything but the rare Quest Pro currently have eye tracked foveated rendering which can help with the pixel fill rate on full screen post processing effects. Maybe better luck with Quest 4 which Zuckerberg has hinted that Meta is likely to bring back eye tracking for, hopefully a next gen chipset as well.

All that being said, depending on what, where and in what context you wish to add bloom effects to you might be able to get away with some suitable effects using baked bloom textures that are attached to light sources or "glint" sprites spawned as particles to bright areas, a camera facing billboard flipbook of sorts or even some custom render texture that has a shader graph manually applying bloom to some smaller area in some dynamic but low res and constrained manner using a custom pass or something along those lines. Off topic to go any further on this here but just so you know there are workarounds that have been implemented by many over the years, which one to use depends on the scope and use case, visual style, remaining performance budget, etc.

andyb-unity likes this.
  4. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

@CyborgGames Currently, no, Meta does not provide a way to disable the boundary warning. They are aware of this issue and are working on a solution. Once they have something, we look forward to integrating this into our Unity package as well.

CyborgGames and LooperVFX like this.
  5. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

@CyborgGames for what it's worth, this is the workaround myself and many other developers have been doing in the meantime. in fact we tend to create an outer boundary as large as possible.. one way to do it is to stand and make a 360 degree rotation creation a giant circle far outside the bounds of your space fairly quickly.

via: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/178d8zd/the_option_to_disable_boundary_should_be/

palnewb
    5mo ago

"My personal solution is creating a HUGE boundary, bigger than my walls. Even if the setup complains that there are objects in the way, I just accept and Ok everything away and it has the same effects as just removing the boundary while maintaining passthrough, but it definitely is a ductape solution...

Edit: it doesn't have to be that big, just a little pass your walls or furniture you want to get close to when needed"

CyborgGames likes this.
  6. Marks4

Marks4

Is it possible to use spatial anchors with the meta open XR package? Similar to the OVRSpatialAnchor? The point is to be able to save/load spatial anchors between different player sessions. It doesn't look like this is possible with ARAnchor. Please check this forum post.

7. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

AR Foundation 6.0 (just released last week!) contains a new API for saving and loading anchors. We are working on an implementation of this API for Meta Quest right now, which will be released soon :).

Ivan_br, LooperVFX, newguy123 and 2 others like this.