Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Magic Leap Lumin SDK Technical Preview Integration for Unity

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cholderman, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cholderman

cholderman

Official Magic Leap Employee

Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™

Magic Leap is adding another dimension to computing. Where digital respects the physical. And they work together to make life better. Magic Leap One™ Creator Edition is built for creators who want to change how we experience the world. To learn more about the features or how you can use the Lumin SDK Technical Preview with your Unity project, check out our Unity for Magic Leap Technical Preview blog post.

Lumin SDK Technical Preview gives Unity developers everything they need to get started developing for Magic Leap One™, including a Simulator to start exploring before having a device, a Unity Package compatible with Magic Leap Zero Iteration and Magic Leap Remote to jump-start creation, and samples to teach you about all of the features available.

The Lumin SDK Technical Preview is built against Unity 2018.1, which includes a new platform under the Build Window to target Magic Leap’s Lumin OS.

Additionally, there is a full C/C++ toolchain, debugger, and packaging/build system for writing native plugins. Technical Previews are intended to be a first-look at new technology, so some instability is to be expected.

Get Started with Unity and the Lumin SDK
    1. Download the Magic Leap Lumin SDK Technical Preview Integration for Unity. Additional updates will happen regularly so check back often to get the latest features
    2. Sign up to be a Magic Leap Creator, then download Magic Leap Package Manager to get the latest Lumin SDK and tools
    3. Check out the Magic Leap One Overview
    4. Read over our Getting Started with Magic Leap Remote
    5. Learn from our developers about Spatial Computing

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the Magic Leap One™ be available?
    Magic Leap One™ will be shipping to Creators & Developers in 2018.

Can we deploy quickly with Magic Leap One?
    You’ll be able to use “Build and Deploy” from the Build menu for quick deployment on device.

Will we be able to iterate in real-time on device?
    Yes! With our Zero Iteration Pipeline, you’ll be able to make changes while wearing ML1 in real-time. In the meantime, use Magic Leap Remote to simulate the ML1 hardware.

How do you set up scenes to work with Magic Leap One?
    As of Unity 2018.1.0b8, there is a Magic Leap template, which you can select during the Unity project launcher. This makes it easy to set up scenes for Magic Leap One.

How do you render black with an additive display?
    Great question! We recommend reading over our Designing for Spatial Computing Overview section where you can read about that and more.

Where should I go for help?
    This forum is a great place to start; be sure to explore the Magic Leap Creator Portal where you can find custom resources for Unity developers, including Magic Leap subforums and tools. Don’t forget to share your feedback and ask questions about Unity development for Magic Leap!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'm curious about the "Control" input device. I found this description of it:

...but I'd love to actually see it, so I can get some idea what the form factor is, the layout of those buttons, etc. This could be important for certain kinds of games. Any chance we can get a picture?

EDIT: Also, it sounds like it's intended to be held with one hand. Do you expect most users will have two of them? Or will the base kit come with just one?

EDIT (2): Maybe I should google harder before asking...

My question about 1 vs. 2 included still remains, though!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Claytonious likes this.
  3. cholderman

cholderman

Official Magic Leap Employee

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

How do we actually buy one of these? I have been looking everywhere and can't find a link..

theolagendijk likes this.
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's because they're not available yet. All the materials say they expect to release "in 2018."

My guess is that means sometime near the end of the year, assuming they don't run into any major production problems, in which case it'll slip to next year. But that's only my guess — I have no special knowledge about it.

theolagendijk likes this.
  6. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I have singed up and entered the right code, and I got this message.
    Untitled-1.jpg

7. AliciaML

AliciaML

Sorry to hear that, Quatum! We've been pushing new content fast and it could easily lead to broken links, can you enter via just the home page, or is that giving you the same issue?

8. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I registered to the sign in, received the 6 numbers code directly, entered the code into the field and next this oops occur. All this happen < 30 seconds.
    (The site told me to enter the code below 5 minutes)

9. AliciaML

AliciaML

Quatum and anyone else having an issue with the Magic Leap creator portal sign-up process, please note that you can email care@MagicLeap.com for assistance and we'll get you sorted out as quickly as possible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.