Search Unity

Official Introducing Gigaya: Unity's upcoming sample game

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Mar 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neoshaman

neoshaman

Also Ricci is so fond of telling us about optimizing compulsion loop, too bad he won't be using Gigaya to optimize the compulsion loop of the engine. :rolleyes:

A reminder that what made unity took off, was to do the impossible and the improbable. I mean if we speak of rigidity of engine, back in the day if you want to deploy a game to different type of platforms, you had to use engine specifically to that type of platform, in fact unity use to do just that, you had to use unity iPhone to deploy on it, it was a known thing you can't be everything. But they generalized and integrated the fragmentation into a nice all purpose workflow, they brought the write once deploy everywhere to game engine, and they stole the market.

The second impact was an interface that made sense to non heavy coder like artist and designer, the visualization and applications of component philosophy into easily composable block, fit a lot better that new demographic, rather than abstraction in a text ide. The compulsion loop was real, game jam was flooded due to unity, making a game in less than a week was a revolution.

Then some stuff like the tetrahedral lightprobe system, brought to mobile lighting techniques usually reserved to high end, by streamlining it and make it more expressive. Unity broke ground.

I hope unity get back to that. Gigaya could have helped.

2. tatoforever

tatoforever

Nintendo switch, built-in, both 2020LTS and 2021LTS. The performance degradation is not quite big (~5 to 7 fps) but still it shoun't be the case.
    The stutering can be fixed two ways, If I change all my code that move things to FixedUpdate (will remain chopy but at least constant) or if I lock my game to 30 or 60fps without any kind of fixedtimestep. Or stay in 2019LTS and do nothing cause there's no slowdown and stuttering! :V

atomicjoe likes this.
  3. tatoforever

tatoforever

Sorry din't saw your message, but yeah Gigaya is dead and I think everyone already said what they wanted to say.

4. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

I've come across a thread in the Physics section of the forum, where a user was asking for an advice on a character controller. I didn't know about the update on Gigaya and just remembered about the project, wanting to suggest checking it out (as the character controller used in the project seemed to be really good) just to find out that it has been "canceled".
    While i understand that Unity is a business, demos, showcases and "freebies" for the community are perhaps the best ways for large scale businesses to not only create positive engagement but also stand out among the competition and to me (personally) "canceling" such a project just doesn't make sense.

I'll put it this way: having a "turnkey" open-world template solution would cause an influx of open-world games that are Made With Unity, with most of them having a decent level of "basic" playability which is good publicity.

PanthenEye likes this.
  5. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

All you say makes sense to me, but Unity has grown too large to care about us in the trenches. They've never been profitable and since they're public now and failed to get acquired, they can't coast on unlimited VC investment. They have to turn profit.

The 5-10 man Dekstop/Console indie teams net very little revenue for Unity when you compare that income with the hundreds of millions they get from mobile ads and, to a lesser extent, large studios paying for pro licences, source access, accelerate, etc.

Gigaya was not meant for the mobile market, nor was is that useful for the large big budget studios or non-gamedev industries where Unity is expanding the most right now. Gigaya was for us who made Unity what it is today, but Unity now has to become profitable, and projects like GIGAYA do not align with that anymore. Unity has changed. It's not about democratizing game development anymore, hasn't been for a while.

6. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

I understand that but i still stand by what i've said. From my perspective (end-user who just wishes well for the engine) the fact that Unity is the go-to tool for gamedev (and yes, that includes low-quality games as well) says a lot more about the engine and the environment in general than any VC talk would. Yes, i understand that the types of people that decide Unitys financial future are operating with resources that are far more tangible than popularity, but the very same types like to talk for hours about what branding means, the importance of building the brand and so on...

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against Unity having ad income (referring to Unity Ads) but without the tech, Unity isn't going to be able to sustain the ad money. It's the tech that brought the latter and not vice versa.

I have conflicted feelings about this statement. To a degree, if you consider tablets mobile, Gigaya had a chance to shine on those platforms (iPad Pros, top tier Samsung tablets). I disagree with the last sentence though but i've noticed that a mod earlier on suggested that this thread is wrapping up, so i won't start a new discussion. All i can say is that you make some solid points with some of which i disagree, but the overall message of yours is spot on.

PanthenEye likes this.
  7. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Not true at all, Unity 2021 LTS is still completely buggy and totally unacceptable for a LTS version
    2020 was running very well.

ArthurAulicino and sdb7 like this.
  8. sacb0y

sacb0y

Not the same thats a bandaid, it's already clear that doesn't contribute to actual fixes.

IMO it should stay until unity makes a more official response.

To just sweep it under the rug and then UNITE is 3 months away...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    atomicjoe likes this.
  9. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I'm of the same opinion: we may have said all we wanted to say ourselves, but it is still too early and not everyone is up to date with the news, so people will keep coming.
    Then again, I never understood the need to close a thread when there is still activity in it, but I'm no moderator.

10. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Is it? A staff member already mentioned that what they did for the Subnautica devs, was brought significantly into the Engine.
    And it'd surely make sense to do that if it's something not very project-specific.

11. sacb0y

sacb0y

I'm pretty sure a bunch of people will wonder where Gigaya is after UNITE.

I already said earlier, It might bring some improvements but obviously it's not enough. It's a bandaid requiring more long term support rather than just fixing the often singular problems people have.

I think that service makes sense if you're trying to get the most of the engine, but it shouldn't specifically be for fixing issues with the engine or trying to get features unity doesn't natively have.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    PutridEx likes this.
  12. optimise

optimise

@LeonhardP Is there currently any internal production still available specifically for dots?

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There is no internal production. But it is used for testing by internal teams. Your question is vague.
    Don't particularly care to be honest. It'll get locked when we feel the noise is over the signal.

14. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Just curious, and sorry for technically continuing the discussion, but can't the "noise" be considered valuable feedback?

PutridEx likes this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In the last few pages it is just people repeating the same views they had. What you want for value, are fresh voices. Not the same ones with an axe in hand.

Pressure from the same people will be extremely ineffective, to be honest.

16. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Its less active, the topic i mean :)

And it should stay open so once in a while someone puts a reminder on it. Otheriwse it will be swept under the rug and we will get the same treatment in the future "because ppl will eventually get over it"...and IMO ppl should NOT get over it.

PutridEx and pm007 like this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked the thread as people have now had enough time to make their points. Unity's got the message. If you want to send a stronger message Unity, you could use a different engine.

TigerHix, NotaNaN, glenneroo and 4 others like this.
  18. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

Hi!

I'm stopping by from the Demo team to share that we used the character from Gigaya to validate a new hair tech that we just shipped.

You have probably seen our demo Enemies that we showed at GDC this year. To make this project, we developed a hair solution for Unity. It is a system developed with scalability in mind, so it made sense to test it for stylized usage and make sure that it works for games. The Gigaya character was perfect for that, as it’s both super cute and exactly suitable for this use case. So you will see it in this video among the other examples of how that tech can be applied.

Unity has already stated that its intention is to continue using the Gigaya project internally — so we decided to use this opportunity, with appreciation and respect for the work that our former colleagues put into it.

I asked for this thread to be temporarily unlocked just to share this; now it will be locked again.

19. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Im happy to see that Wondu has a new hair-do! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.