Search Unity

Official Introducing Cinemachine 2.7.1 (and 2.7.2)!

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by marc_tanenbaum, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hello friends!

We're delighted to announce that Cinemachine 2.7.1 has now been officially published to Package Manager.

Note that 2.7.1 has not yet been verified, so approach it will appropriate caution. The 2.7 series, which will be the verified version for the upcoming 2021.1 and backwards compatible as far as 2019.4, includes some nice improvements which I'll detail below. You can read the complete changelog here.

To add Cinemachine 2.7.1 to a project, open the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager), find Cinemachine in the list, and click Install on 2.7.1.

To add to a project that currently contains Cinemachine, open the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager), find Cinemachine, and click Update to 2.7.1.

In either case, don't forget to check out the included Samples to see what Cinemachine can do!

Changes from 2.6.3 to 2.7.1

The first change - which might alarm you! - that you'll notice right away is that the Cinemachine menu has vanished. Fear not, the functionality isn't gone; we're simply giving you back some top-level menu real-estate, and integrating Cinemachine more directly into traditional Unity workflows. Cinemachine objects are now created just like any other GameObject: from the GameObjects menu (and in all the other places that GameObjects are generally created).

Next, we've introduced a new and improved 2D confiner. CinemachineConfiner2D provides a way for the user to limit the camera into an area defined by a polygon. This is useful for ensuring that the camera moves only in ways that properly support your game.

The new confiner has a number of advantages over what came before. It's faster, and better at dealing with damping in corners and undersized behavior (camera window is bigger than the original confining area). It also works with both Orthogonal and Perspective cameras.

Note that the confining area may not be precise everywhere due to computational costs, but it will be a close approximation. This is expected at edges that are not perfectly horizontal or vertical. Moreover, the extremities of acute angles may be hard to reach.

The next big items are a pair of often-requested lens improvements, allowing Cinemachine to control and report on more aspects of how the Camera behaves.
    • The Virtual Camera Lens can now override orthographic and physical camera settings.

• The Virtual Camera Lens inspector now respects the display of Horizontal FOV from the Camera.

Finally (and not counting the usual batch of bug fixes), you'll find a new option in the ImpulseListener called ApplyAfter. This allows you to choose whether a confiner also confines impulses and noise.

As always, we hope you get great use out of the new version and all these improvements. If you have any questions, problems, complaints, ideas, or praise, don't hesitate to post in this forum! We always love to hear from our friends and users.

[EDIT]
    We just released 2.7.2 with some incremental improvements.

Improvements to the new CinemachineConfiner2D, some new samples, and a list of bug fixes.

Details in the release notes.
    [/EDIT]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  2. voyagecreations

voyagecreations

Hi ,

With Unity 2020.1.14f1 and Cinemachine 2.7.1 , when i opt for " DOlly Camera with track",

1.The green tracks are not appearing , I am not able to draw a path where i want my camera to move.
    2. The red camera for the main camera is not showing up

Can you please look into this and respond?

Thanks
    Shayak

3. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Thanks very much for the report @voyagecreations and welcome to the forum! In general, we recommend you create a separate thread for a support request. Putting all 2.7.1 support questions in this thread will get messy very fast. That said, I'll ask the team to investigate.

4. patbaril

patbaril

Unity Technologies

5. bahargungor

bahargungor

Hello, I imported the package but I don't see "Cinemachine" in my game object menu? What might cause that?

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

marc_tanenbaum likes this.
  7. RemDust

RemDust

Hello @Gregoryl ,
    How safe is it to upgrade Cinemachine on Unity2019.3.9 ?
    I was actually looking for a solution about my "2d polygon confiner with perspective camera issue" and this update came out ^^

8. fasilend

fasilend

Thanks.

9. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Well, we only test on the LTS version of 2019 so no guarantees, but my gut feeling is that you should be ok.

RemDust likes this.
  10. StraitsResearch

StraitsResearch

Hello! I'm brand new to trying Unity, and have got myself into a pickle.

TLDR: I have 165 CS0246 errors I don't know how to correct
    I am following the Unity tutorial for creating the John Lemon game found here:https://learn.unity.com/project/john-lemon-s-haunted-jaunt-3d-beginner

I followed every step and everything was fine and working up until "The Camera" tutorial section introducing the Cinemachine.

The tutorial mentions selecting the "Cinemachine" drop-down menu from the top menu and selecting the "create virtual camera" option. The "Cinemachine" drop-down menu should be between the "Component" and "Window" drop-down menus. However, in my Unity version, there was no such option. "Component" and "Window" were next to each other, and "Cinemachine" was nowhere to be found.

I am using Unity version "2019.4.5f1 Personal", and the beginning of the tutorial let me select the version I am using as "2019.4", so I figured it was the same, but apparently not. I looked through some online info about the Cinemachine and discovered there was a version 2.7.1 update that moved it to the "GameObject" menu, but it was not there either. I think I had version 2.5.0, or something - I'm not sure how to check the prior version I had. The same page mentioned how to update my Cinemachine to version 2.7.1 by using the "Package Manager", which I proceeded to install.

That worked, and I now had the Cinemachine in the "GameObject" menu and I was able to continue with the tutorial.

After setting up the virtual camera to follow the MC though, I tried to test the game and there are 165 errors, which are all variations of the same thing:

"Library\PackageCache\com.unity.quicksearch@3.0.0-preview.2\Editor\Indexing\SearchIndexEntryImporter.cs(126,45): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AllowCaching' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

I tried searching for related errors but didn't find any cases that mirrored mine, only individual examples of error CS0246 and how to correct them by renaming items, which I'm not confident in doing for 165 objects.

I don't know much about Unity or programming, but I understand this to mean that the naming convention of at least 165 objects Unity uses has either changed or been lost? I guess from the Cinemachine update?

I don't know how to easily fix all 165 instances. I tried removing the Cinemachine update I did but the errors remained and far more warnings were added to the console.

I have thought about uninstalling Unity altogether and reopening my project, but will that cause further problems? The work I did after updating Cinemachine I already saved, so would that be a problem? Or simply deleting the virtual camera I created sufficient to revert it?

I'm fairly confident that the Cinemachine update is the cause of all the problems since the play feature worked prior to starting the camera tutorial, but maybe I am even wrong in this since this is all new to me.

Any help would be most appreciated!

11. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's not obvious that the errors are from Cinemachine. The one you quoted is not.

It sounds as though your project got corrupted somehow, possibly because of import problems. You may have installed some mutually incompatible packages.

The first thing to try is Reimport All. If that fails, then we can look at the package manager to figure out which packages you don't need.

upload_2020-12-28_11-30-40.png

12. RemDust

RemDust

Hi there :)
    Do you guys know where i can find a practical demonstration of the new confiner2D in a perspective camera setup ?
    I find it reaaaaally hard to create the confiner polygon so it fits the proper framing.

I actually think that in perspective, "drawing" the camera confiner itself doesn't really make sense, what users would ultimately need is to draw the "FOV CONFINER", does that make any sense and do you think it is doable ? :D

13. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

If your game is taking place on a plane, draw the confiner on that plane. If the camera's local Z axis is normal to that plane, then the camera's view will be confined correctly to the drawn shape. If the camera is looking obliquely at that plane, then results will degrade but can still be usable.

What are you finding to be difficult about drawing the shape?

14. RemDust

RemDust

Oh ! I just realized that the issue was about the Max Window Size parameter, setting this to zero actually confines the camera like you said. I do get pretty jiggery behaviour in "corners" though... :/

15. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you show an example of this? We recommend setting the Damping parameter to non-zero (0.5 is nice) so that you don't get snapping in corners.

16. RemDust

RemDust

Plot twist, the damping does get rid off the snapping but actually setting max window size to zero improved the Confiner but camera fov is still a bit off.

17. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you clarify? It's not clear from your picture. How is it off?

18. RemDust

RemDust

If I understand correctly, from the scene view the confiner should not allow the camera to show passed the yellow line on the right. In game view the player sees "too much". If that makes sense ^^

Image Update :

I'm not expecting to see the red part in game view. Am I wrong ?

19. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You are not wrong. Can you show me the full inspector for your vcam?

20. RemDust

RemDust

Sure, thanks :)

I'm gonna investigate a bit on the Follow Target side of things.
    I'll get back to you soon, thank you for your help, as always !

21. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This is a clue:

upload_2021-1-5_14-41-44.png

Can you lower the FOV of the vcam until this warning goes away?

22. RemDust

RemDust

That did the trick, good catch !
    The FOV is not even close to what I need though :D

Gregoryl likes this.
  23. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

For best performance, you should set the Max Window Size to the largest window size you expect to have. For perspective cams, Window size in this context means how big the camera window would be on the confiner plane.

gaborkb and RemDust like this.
  24. RemDust

RemDust

I ll try and tweak that then, thanks a lot !
    I ll let you know how good it turns out

Gregoryl likes this.
  25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Where can I change the Cinemachine Gizmo?

26. Anhella

Anhella

Good Day
    I am using cinemachine free look camera and i want to know do you have a tutorial on aiming with crosshair?
    my aim is off a bit how to fix please?
    thanks

27. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@Anhella have I got a video for you!

28. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@Lars-Steenhoff sorry, I think I missed your question. You want to change the look of the gizmo? I think you'll find what you're after under Packages/Cinemachine/Gizmos.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes the gizmo, I did change that one but is does not take effect, not even after restarting unity. So my guess is that maybe its sourced from another place?

30. Anhella

Anhella

Good Day
    thanks for the tutorial. i have another question. when my player jumps the free look cinemachine camera jiggle hard.
    how to fix?

31. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@Anhella

I think you'll get more help on your support questions if you open them in a fresh thread and provide more specific detail. This thread is really about the 2.7.1 release.

@Lars-Steenhoff

I'd suggest that maybe the same would be helpful for you as well (a dedicated thread). I've checked and I guess you're right...it seems like the icon is resistant to change, though I'm not immediately sure why that is. Possibly something to do with package integrity. Anyway, if you ask in a new thread, I suspect one of our engineers will be happy to explain.

32. Anhella

Anhella

good day
    i am using cinemachine free look 2.7.1 release.
    and when the player jump the camera jiggles going up and coming down.
    how to fix.
    thanks in advance

33. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes, packages are read-only, and Unity magically undoes any changes you make to them. You can customize a package by first embedding it into your project (copy it from the package cache to you project's Packages folder), then changing it.

34. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Please start a new thread by pressing this button:

upload_2021-1-25_10-40-20.png

35. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Sweee-ee-eet! I always wanted to have this~

Pleased to hear about the improved bounds support. Can't wait to try it out :)

36. Anhella

Anhella

do anyone knows how to delete the inbox messages.
    thanks

37. markvi

markvi

Whew, it's getting a bit crowded in here! We've created a new read-only thread for release announcements here. Please create new threads for feature requests, bug reports, or general discussion. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.