Search Unity

Introduce Yourself!

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by davejrodriguez, Nov 12, 2020.

1. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

Hey, all! I thought of doing this thread a while back, but forgot until Ciro asked where everyone was from in the stream yesterday. I think it would be cool to hear some collaborator origin stories.

So here's some questions you might answer:

What is your name?
    Where are you from?
    When did you start using Unity?
    Why are you participating in this project?
    Favorite game?

Note: Please consider your privacy comfort level if participating in this thread. There is no requirement to answer all of the questions or answer in detail. For example, you may want to limit to first name and country.

2. treivize

treivize

Hi Dave!

This a cool initiative!

So, I am Yohann and I am living in the south of France near Nice. I am software engineer but I am not part of the game industry at all. Anyway, I really love all the aspects of crafting a game.

I have started to use Unity about 5 years ago. My parent bought me Klik & Play when I was 12, I remembered I quickly felt a bit frustrated to be limited by the game engine at this time. I have never felt the same with Unity, everything seems possible with it!

Building a game alone is one of the hardest thing, I guess. Lots of works everywhere: coding mechanics, building good UX and fancy UI stuff, create artistical content (visual assets and sound assets), create game mechanics and stories, market your game to meet its public, etc... For me, successful solo indie game creators are like the genius of Renaissance period, good in all the sciences, artistical and business areas.

So participating to this project is the opportunity to work as part of a team on a game project and also make and learn what I love to do in this industry at a professional level or almost. Feedback from the community and Unity team give me the feeling that what I have to produce is at professional level or almost regarding the quality. It is a unique experience!

Strangely I am not playing game a lot anymore. I loved playing game during my childhood and when I was a teenager / young adult. At that time, I played a lot with: Prince of Persia, Baldur's Gate, Dune, Myth series, Outcast, FFVII, WoW from what I remember.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  3. Smurjo

Smurjo

Hi all,

I am Johanna and I live in Germany. I am an electrical engineer and I did a PhD in Computer Science in 1993. That's where my scientific career ended since I had my children - a decision I would make again anytime btw. As you can imagine it was hard to find a job years later so I ended up being a design quality engineer and at times a test engineer. With the company economizing on R&D due to Corona I just lost my job after 16 years with the company, which means I have a lot of unplanned free time right now.

It's kind of a funny story how I came to the Unity engine - it started with me visiting the Sangrada familia cathedral in Barcolona. Gaudi's arches are designed to a technically perfect shape as the forces will be transmitted exactly along the arches - no sideways forces of which the joints between the stones can only take a limited amount. There someplace in the museum it was said Gaudi's arches were parabola - I thought "parabola sounds easy" and I set out recalculate the forces and shape of Gaudi's arches. It turned out the arches weren't parabola but catenarys yet I managed to replicate the mathematical proof. With that knowledge I set out and found the solution for 3D if you were to build a dome - which BTW the dome of St. Peter matches almost perfectly albeit Michelangelo can't have known catenarys. And there are more mathemathically possible shapes - which I set out to visualize. First with Excel, then with JMonkey - a Java open source 3D engine where I set out to write some kind of "Cathedral editor" and since about 5 years with Unity. Shortly after I also started with Blender to make 3D assets.

I never finished the Cathedral editor with Unity - but I made a game for my husbands birthday (he can travel about in a quite correct simulation of the solar system and on the journey to each planet the will be a photo displayed) and for my children at Christmas (you wander about on an island and collect artefacts). I also made two 90 seconds animation movies so far and work on an about 10 minutes movie for the family this Christmas.

I can fully understand your
    and I love the variety. Besides math and programming I am luckily a bit talented with art and can envision things in 3D, whereas audio certainly isn't my strong side. So far I had not planned to make any money with games, which might be a different story if I don't find a job again.

- me neither. I enjoyed playing Anno, League of Legends and City Skylines in the past.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  4. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

My name is David. I am from the US. I grew up near NYC, but moved out to the midwest to get my Bachelor's in Telecommunications (with a minor in Computer Science). While at University, I met my wife and decided to settle down here. We have two girls, 4 and 2.

About 9 years ago, I began using Unity (version 3.4) when I started working for a non-profit organization at my University. We use Unity primarily for digital humanities research and occupational simulators, though we have made a few educational games as well. One of our more notable digital humanities projects was recreating what archaeologists believe Hadrian's Villa looked like before it was left in ruins in what is now Tivoli, Italy. Many of our occupational simulators are geared toward healthcare. Our latest is a disaster response simulator for nurses.

I really enjoy using Unity and feel very blessed to be able to use it professionally and to still even have a job in the current pandemic. One of the downsides of my current position, however, is that I am the only programmer on our staff. Which means no peer reviews. I am entirely in charge of my own professional development. For me, getting no feedback is a good recipe for bad practices. And it also perpetuates impostor syndrome. So I have joined this collaboration in hopes of 1. receiving reviews on my code and 2. making a game, because making games is fun.

These days, with 2 small children, it's a bit harder to find the time to really get into a game. RDR2 and BioShock Infinite are both near the top of my list. When I was in my teens, I would play this one flash game called TankMania. Outside of a clone made and played by a group of Japanese players, it doesn't exist anymore. But I played that game so much. One day, when I have time again, I am going to make a clone/spiritual successor in Unity.

5. fran_m

fran_m

David, good idea about introducing ourself, I was thinking the same yesterday.
    My name is Fran, I live in Spain, I love traveling and meeting people around the world.

I studied a Computer Science Engineering, and after working some years as a programmer in UK, Barcelona and Valencia, I became a teacher. Now I teach networking subjects in a vocational training College.

In my spare time (that is not much because I also have a family) I develop an Android app for teachers published on Google Play Store: Teacher Gradebook.

In my teens, I used to play many games. I always wanted to develop a game, but I never took the step. So, I started to learn Unity and game development some weeks ago, and I saw this project like a great chance to learn from experienced people. I was not wrong. I cannot contribute on coding yet, but maybe I could help with translation.

Pick a fav game? mmmm, difficult, there are so many I enjoyed: Simulators, strategy, Skyrim, CS Go ...

6. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello all.
    I am Harsh Narayan Jha (as you can see my name on github. I live in India and currently I am a student.

I started unity less than a year ago, going to complete year this upcoming december. I started programming really by windows bat language (.bat) and then my uncle introduced me to Python language.
    I started in unity with a racing game tutorial on youtube by Jimmy Vegas. I made it and then after finishing the tutorial, I added many things to it such as position management and much more. But it sadly resulted in a non-optimized game. FPS was always below 40~50 (lowest 7.5)(hardly 60). But I kept it optimizing and reached lowest limit of 30. So I left it and started learning more to optimize that.

And so, I joined this project just because of this, to learn best practices.
    Also, there is a main reason for joining this project. As will say below that my favorite game is The Legend Of Zelda series, I wished that it may also be on mobile platforms. So I started project.
    Yesterday i created a targeting system (as in zelda) by myself alone. I was very amazed that my system was working. I am joining this open to learn many thing and adapt them to my project. I will give my best here and take the best by you from here. (Hope no one is disappointed)

And my favorite game, as I have already told, is

The Legend Of Zelda
    (my personal suggestion to everyone, play at least a title of zelda, it's amazing).

Thanks.

7. deivsky

deivsky

Hi everyone! Great initiative!

My name is David, too. I am from Venezuela, living in Argentina since 2014. I know it's silly, but I made my first videogames when I was like thirteen years old, using PowerPoint. Yes, Microsoft Office 2007 PowerPoint. In presentation mode, using its animation system and hyperlinking between slides, I managed to make two games that were actually not that horrible. I realized, though, that that was not the way videogames were really made. When I first heard something about programming, I think the word scared me, or maybe I thought I was too young to understand it or something, so I dropped the whole thing and dedicated my years to just playing games.

In 2018, I wrote my first "Hello World!" and used Unity for the first time, when I started a degree on Videogame Design & Development. Sadly, personal issues forced me to quit halfway through the second semester. I got to make my first game with actual lines of code, though. It was a lot of fun, loved everything about it, and found programming to be my passion. So I kept studying on my own, making prototypes and researching on the topics I enjoyed the most.

After that, I did find a job as a programmer, but on the business side, which isn't nearly as exciting. I'm participating in this project to get a first experience in the process of making a commercial videogame (or a vertical slice of one), get peer reviews, and continue to learn.

As my favorite games, I'd have to say, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Silver and Emerald, Maplestory, Hollow Knight, Tera, Overwatch, and Skyrim (although I think I've spent more time modding than playing it).

8. danten66

danten66

Hi all, Dan from New Hampshire, USA

When did I start using Unity you ask? Well - I have not... Nor any game engine for that matter. Yeah - jumping off the deep end with both feet here.

I am however a Blender artist and am learning rigging and animation, and hope to put some of these skills to good use, learn about the workflow, and explore the idea of a pivot / shift in career.

I am currently the Creative Director at my local Community Access Television station (part time,) and the other half of the day I work in shipping. [I will leave it up to the reader to decide which job I might look to replace..] At the station I take on some of the special projects which include filming and editing. I create backgrounds for our green screen studio using both 3d modeling and photographic reference, and also have created motion graphics for show openings.

I can not say I have played too many modern games as of late, though I do occasionally play a bit of Polytopia on the phone. My heart for games though is in historical miniature wargames (my budget and time say otherwise.)

9. jandd661

jandd661

Greetings all, I am a part timer/hobbyist. I work a fulltime job that has nothing to do with gaming, programming or any sort of tech. I transport jet fuel to airports. I have always had an interest in programing and started with Basic back in the 80s. Then moved to Perl, then ASP and now C#.

What is your name?

John

Where are you from?
    Colorado USA

5 or 6 years ago I think.

As a hobbyist, I don't get to collaborate much. I thought this was a great opportunity to learn about some of the collaborations tools/process and working with others to reach a goal. With the bonus of contributing to a cool game.

Favorite game?
    There are soooo many great games out there that this question is like asking me "Which of my kids is my favorite." Yes, I'm 54 and I still play games.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this project and hopefully many more future initiatives.

10. drbier

drbier

Hi everyone! I'm Dylan. I grew up in San Diego, CA and still here as of now. Was working as a high school math teacher for four years but knew it wasn't for me around January last year, so I saved up some money and planned to go on a 6-9 month rock climbing trip which ended up getting postponed because of COVID and wildfires. Decided to get into computer science and game development in September and I've been essentially studying it full time since then while I prep to apply for grad school.

I'm excited to participate in this project because I'm curious to see all of the different approaches to game development that the Unity community brings to the table and learn as much as I can from everyone. I'd love to make a meaningful/sizable contribution as well, but that would honestly just be gravy on top -- I'd be happy enough just to be able to squash a few bugs!

My favorite game right now has to be Hades. I'm a sucker for games that make you grind for upgrades, and I like that the game rewards you with such an expansive story despite the core loop being fairly small.

Shoutout to Outer Wilds which I just finished as well -- what a mind-blowing experience!

11. xt85

xt85

Hi, everyone.

It's such a great idea to have a thread for people to introduce themselves!

My name is Xiao (pronounce similar to Shawn), and I'm from China. I'm currently working as a software engineer in California, USA. I started using Unity when I had an idea of making a game to teach people to play piano when I was in graduate school 5 years ago. I really enjoy the learning and the development process, and wanted to become a game developer ever since. I want to join this project to get a overview of how a team of talents work together to make a commercial game, and learn about testing, art pipeline, and such. Hopefully it will help me to form my own studio one day.

I love games. I have been playing all kinds of games on all kinds of platforms. My favorite game right now is RimWorld and Slay the Spire. I found Indie games so much fun nowadays because they really shows personality and I almost stopped playing AAA games.

Great to meet everyone!

12. Amadley

Amadley

Hello!

Appreciate you making this thread!

My name's Matt, and I'm originally from Buffalo, NY but now live in Indianapolis, IN with my wife and two little girls.

I've used Unity on and off for about 5 years, but never taken the time to really sit down and learn it - more just messing around for fun. I've picked up bits and pieces over the years, but would like to take it to the next level. That's why I'm participating in this project - I'd like to get a feel for what working with a development team feels like, and to learn how those who are significantly more experienced than me approach problems and to learn from all of you! I'd also like to see how everything fits together. Often, when you're learning by yourself in bits or pieces, you'll learn individual systems, but never see them interact and grow through the development cycle. This will be awesome to see!

I love strategy games! I've sunk thousands of hours into the civilization series over my life. Also a big fan of classic Nintendo games since an SNES is what I grew up with. Right now I'm playing 7 days to die with a group of about 6 which is completely different from what I normally play, but it's a great game to play in a group - lots of fun! Also... it's a Unity title in development, so it's fun to experience what folks are doing with the engine.

Great to meet you, looking forward to contributing in the future, but will probably just sit back and learn from you all for now!

Thanks again!
    -Matt

13. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

This thread is really cool, and sorry for not posting to it before.

So: hello! My name is Ciro and I am originally from Napoli, in the south of Italy.

My journey in games started 10 years ago with Flash, when from simple advergames I moved to my own indie projects. I did a couple of years as a tester at EA in Spain, then in 2012 I financed my first real game through Kickstarter, a brainy puzzle game. That was also the year I made the switch from Flash to Unity. Eventually the game would come out in 2014, taking me more than 2 years to make (and which you can find it here, or just see the trailer).
    Later on I made another small-ish commercial game (trailer here + it's on Steam) which came out in 2016.

After that, I joined Unity Technologies, and here we are. Since then, it's been 4 years of crazy trips around the world and plenty of talks, workshops, and training sessions delivered (here's some live talks). In between talks, I managed to create a framework for helping kids make games (the Unity Playground) and, now, start Open Projects (spoiler: you are inside it!).

All of these indie development adventures kept me moving around, so I did Napoli > Rome > Madrid (Spain) > Rome > Madrid > Brighton (UK) > Copenhagen (Denmark), which is where I am now.

Now heading Creator Advocacy for Unity in Europe, and very lucky to have had the opportunity to conceive and launch this initiative, which is being and is going to be very unique. I'm really looking forward to see what we will be able to make together. In fact, a personal thanks to everyone who's contributing!! The response to the initiative has really surpassed our expectations by far!

You've... never felt frustrated with Unity?... we have a job for you as a testimonial!! :D

Also agree with this, indie games FTW!

That's super cool, I'm actually surprised you haven't made one yet...?

Best series ever! They always manage to reinvent themselves!

Bold! (I love Blender, by the way)

Actually, so much respect for the fact that you still manage to contribute to this project in a significant way!

Top game, it's one of those that make me envious as I'm like "I wish I made this" (and there are plenty).

Same here... I'm very disconnected from the AAA world. Only Nintendo ones :) They feel like AAA but made with love :)
    (and, just to be clear, all AAA are made with love by their developers, but often due to a coating of AAA-ness and bad business and project management, it shines through less - which is a shame)

You totally nail what I also think it's the value of this project!

14. calculus7

calculus7

Agreed, this is a really cool thread.

My name is John Chapman, and I've spent most of my life in the state of Louisiana, though now I live and work in Missouri. I started programming at a very early age, which naturally led me to seek an undergraduate software / electrical engineering degree. But I soon found out that I really liked physics, and got a Master's and Ph.D. in that. Now, I work as the Chief Medical Physicist (don't know what a Medical Physicist is? Neither does anyone else, but this might help: https://w3.aapm.org/medical_physicist/index.php) at a cancer clinic and am also faculty at Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine. Despite this diversion towards Physics, I still haven't lost the programming bug...and in case my recent forum post (https://forum.unity.com/threads/localized-phoneme-mood-pose-expression-system.1044784/#post-6767623) doesn't quite make it apparent, I really like building large systems for games. After reading that post (or perhaps this one), you will understand that brevity is not a skill I possess =D.

I'm participating in this project for two major reasons:
    (1) Since there is a team behind moving this thing forward, it forces constant progress. I often find myself taking one step forward and two steps back when I'm working on my own projects because I like perfecting them before moving on. That problem is eliminated with Open Projects.
    (2) I love teaching. I love getting down into the nitty-gritty details and helping others to understand. I've made some game dev tutorials on my YouTube channel, hoping to attract an audience eager to learn, but they never got much traction. I hope that at least my contributions to this project (and overly verbose explanations) helps someone to understand something on a deeper level. I have actually thought about doing a "from scratch" tutorial series on building the codebase of Chop Chop from the ground up. But, for one, my time availability is sporadic...and I'm not quite sure anyone would actually be interested.

I have lots of favorite games, but these days I find myself gravitating towards games with a narrative focus and well-developed characters. That was a big part of the motivation behind building the Character Expression System, which is described in the forum link above.

15. Eddrico

Eddrico

Hi,
    my name is Marcos Camacho, I'm from Bolivia so my native language is Spanish, I've worked in many fields not only including Computing Systems, which is what i officially studied.
    I worked in small games and publicity using unity and other systems, also worked in commercial software development, which is what i currently do, i have a small break so i'm happy to have found open projects i was looking for something like this some years ago, i hope this be the first of many projects more.

I started using Unity at the university 8 years ago but didn't use it recently so i'm really rusty
    For my favorite game, i would have to do a really extensive list, so I'll try to put the ones that are on the top of my head and those would be
    Dark Souls, Zelda the breath of the wild, Hades, Dead cells, Guilty gear, Slay the spire and XCOM
    i also play online Dota 2, Smite, Rogue company, LOL, and The Cycle
    i could go all day really, so i'll stop there, i'm really looking forward to being able to apport something to this beautiful project you all have here.

16. BrettHuang

BrettHuang

Hello!
    大家好!

My name is Brett Huang. And I am now a Unity3D programmer(junior level) working in Montreal Canada.
    I come from mainland China, Guang Dong province. I speak Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Now I am learning French since I moved to Montreal 2 years ago.

I worked as a game designer back in China for 6 years and self-taught my programmer skills, C# and game engine knowledge. Luckily I got my current job as my first programmer job since 1.5 years ago. I am very grateful.

Unity open project is one big surprise happened in my life. I always want to learn from the best but I got little chance. The unity meetup is held only a few times per year. And things got worse since the pandemic..

I like this project so much that I started to make videos sharing the project to developers in China.
    So if somebody who understands Chinese can follow my YouTube channel specific for this open project.
    My Youtube Channel about open project

Thank you and happy new year!
    Brett

17. RSin11

RSin11

Hello Everyone! My name is Rupa and I am from New Jersey.
    I got interested in Unity and game development last year as I had to stay at home due to Covid . I could no longer continue substitute teaching which left me with a lot of spare time to learn and practice. I have always been interested in programming as well as creating digital designs.

I had started with teaching Basic language a long time ago, and had continued to learn C, OOPS, Visual Basic, SQL servers, and more. Having extensively used Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for my freelancing design work and creating various icons, logos, web banners over the last 15 years, it is great channeling my creative energy somewhere new. I am happy to have found Unity where I can put all my skills to use to create new games.

As my knowledge of games is primarily oriented towards children's learning, I created a game to teach kids to spell colors.

My first game is now online on Google Play and called 'AR Colors'. It is still a work in process, as I am continuously working on improving the quality of it.
    I found out about this Open project recently and thought this would be a great opportunity to learn about collaborating with Github and expand my knowledge about the process of creating games.

18. s4lt3d

s4lt3d

My name is Walter Gordy. I grew up in Colorado (shout out to jandd661), and I'm living in Canada. I've worked as an electrical engineer for the last 10 years, but have always been a programmer at heart.

In 2015, I discovered game jams, and I've had a lot of fun doing them! I even won a Unity Professional license once. Now I'm picking up Unity again after a few years. You guys have been really busying at Unity!

I found this project browsing Unity's github projects, and I'm excited to learn a lot and even contribute. I'm looking forward to participating, even if I'm out of my league and I can help just a little.

As for a favorite game, I'm a big fan of Kerbal Space Program. A neighbor worked on real world satellites and was surprised how well the game's experience translated to having good conversations about space stuff. What a great Unity game!

19. sashabraun

sashabraun

My name is Charly and I live in Marseille, France. I started using Unity 2 months ago. I am really excited about this project which seems a great way to learn how to make a game. I want to be a game programmer btw. My favourite game would be Heavy Rain, though I really loved Ori and the blind forest too!

20. Pale_Horseman

Pale_Horseman

Hello, i started developing games as a hobby when i was 5 on scratch loved it, now I'm getting back into doing it seriously as like a hobby, i have a very rudimental knowledge of, c#, c++ and python, is there anything you need me to do? just moving from unreal to unity. don't have a completely solid understanding yet and want to view this as an experience to learn and develop my skills on the new platform. im in the united kingdom. Favorite games are elite dangerous, Albion online and the Forza horizon series. Im 14 and also speak mandarin if that helps.

21. Pengualien

Pengualien

Hi everyone!

I'm Nick and I'm from Minnesota in the U.S.

I started developing games in Unity 6 years ago back when I was still in high school.

I want to contribute to this project because I want to work on a game as part of a big team a become part of a larger community.

My favorite game that I've played recently is definitely The Outer Wilds.

22. EduardoBastos

EduardoBastos

Hey Everyone!

Eduardo here, hailing from Brazil.

I started learning Unity and C# around 2015, with the lofty dream of making my dream game.
    I have been studiyng programming as a hobby since then. This Open Project looked like a great opportunity to experience working with a team, as I have been working exclusively solo um until now.

I have released two small and messy games, you can play them here: https://edwar.itch.io/

My favorite game is Crono Cross, as it started my lifelong passion for games.

Cheers!

23. fkkhan

fkkhan

Hi, I am an entrepreneur, philanthropist, motivational speaker in Pakistan, life and business coach with a track record of success in delivering quality results. Also CEO of Canadaprimemarketing Company in Canada. Now a days I am giving my services as a business and life coaching to my audience.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  24. redcurry79

redcurry79

My name is Carlos, and though I was born in Peru, I've been living in the United States since the early 90s. I'm currently a software engineer at a medical software company (doing mostly C#).

I've had an interest in game programming for decades, but life and other interests got in the way and I never spent the time needed to learn it well.

Then I bought an Oculus Quest. I was so amazed by the experience that I immediately decided to create my own experiences for VR. And so, for the past 5 months, I've been teaching myself Unity (and Blender).

But I only found this Open Projects initiative last week! Despite the fact that I've been to the Unity Learn website countless times over the past few months, I never saw it advertised there.

I've been wanting to see how professional game development is done (from concept to code). I'm especially interested in the software architecture of games, and I haven't been disappointed in this project. I've been learning A LOT. Thank you!

I've enjoyed many video games since the 90s, but perhaps the most amazing gaming experience I've had was in VR with Half-Life: Alyx.

@calculus7 Small world! I write ESAPI scripts for a living, and I know a medical physicist at WashU who does a lot of scripting (Matt).

25. Schodemeiss

Schodemeiss

Hi guys, my name's Andrew, currently residing in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Hope everyone's doing well in these strange times we find ourselves in.

I'm currently a freelance software engineer. Previously I worked over at Frontier Developments for 7 years as their Head of Online (essentially DevOps and Management) on Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World: Evolution and a stack of other titles released and unreleased. Today I do mostly contract work locally and am an amateur musician / producer.

I really love the idea of a Unity steered open source project, so I decided to get a little stuck in over the weekend and do a little "boy scouting".

I got a bit carried away with writing a system to automatically generate statically typeable Tags and Layers which I think will improve the codebase a little should they be included. If they are, I'd be very happy to go through the rest of the code and apply those statically typed classes throughout the codebase.

I also did a little refactoring of the Runtime Anchors so they use generics a little more cleanly. I can see some scope for doing a similar job to the EventChannel scriptable objects, but I think I'll wait for the go ahead from someone at Unity before I get too stuck in with that (@cirocontinisio maybe!?).

Finally, I fixed the localization bug in the builds. Hopefully that one will get accepted and make everyone's life a little better in the builds.

Anyway, I look forward to contributing a little more if I'm able to. Hit me up anytime!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  26. calculus7

calculus7

Yep, Matt is awesome! I was part of the ESAPI scripting group that he was leading when I was a physics resident at Wash U. I'll have to mention you to Matt next time I see him.

27. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Interrupting the stream of intros just to say: thanks everyone, it's really fascinating to read all the stories and to see how many different backgrounds you have. Feel free to keep them coming, the team and I are really enjoying them.

@Schodemeiss thanks for all the fixes and contributions, will review soon!

28. Schodemeiss

Schodemeiss

@Schodemeiss thanks for all the fixes and contributions, will review soon![/QUOTE]

No problem at all. I suspect the Tags and Layers tooling is probably a little heavy handed, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if if was rejected or if you just pinch the useful parts (The Tag.cs and Layer.cs classes).

The bug fixes (Addressables and the Anchor PR's) seemed to hold on my side, but let me know if there's a problem. It's been fun reviewing some other PR's from other people and dropping some comments on other PR's too.

Will admit, was getting a little worried there hadn't been any activity for a few weeks, but I guess you guys are drowning in actual Unity stuff?

cirocontinisio likes this.
  29. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I realized that I was part of the project without introducing myself, so here I go.
    My name is Nathan(also known as Morty), and I'm from California in the United States. I'm a 3D artist that started about 2 years ago(not including the times I messed around in Blender).

I started using Unity when I attended my first college class that involves video game programming(until I became an artist). I've been using Unity(on and off) for about 4-5 years, doing projects by myself and teams for PC, mobile, and even a student VR project for NASA to create a training simulation to train astronauts for future missions. I'm still learning all of the awesome features in Unity, but I am enjoying the process.

While I've been doing projects for school and personal use, I wanted to try making a game with people I don't know, getting some connections, and create/practice 3D modeling for my portfolio. So when I saw a YouTube video about this project, I immediately wanted to join it, but I had a lot of school homework, which made it hard to do so. However, when I was struck with Covid, it forced me to take a break from my winter semester, which gave me a lot of free time. This incident allowed me to participate in the project until school started again. Even when school started, I found a way to organize my schedule to add to this project on my calendar.

Favorite game?

My favorite game has to be Minecraft, Overwatch, the Accounting, and the Portal series. Minecraft and Overwatch were the games that got me interested in game development.

30. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

We have been pulled onto some other stuff, yes. Sorry for that. But we'll be back! Soon®

Schodemeiss, itsLevi0sa and MortyJHin like this.
  31. Donvermo

Donvermo

I realize I am a bit late to the party but after seeing how much value this project could bring to the Unity community I couldn't resist the urge to join and contribute what little I can.

I started using Unity almost 8 years ago and have been using it on and off to make little personal projects or in order to participate in game jams like LudumDare. I tend to favor retro 2d pixel art games when developing games on my own but also have some experience in 3D level design.

Some of my favorite games which also served as inspiration to want to make video games on my own are some of the earlier Donkey Kong Country series, Castlevania, Tomb Raider 2, Warcraft2+3, C&C Ttiberian Sun and Deus Ex. (Very much aware how different some of the games are)

Seeing as I work as as Software Engineer by day I hope I can be of help on the programming side of things.
    If anyone ever wants to chat me up and talk about older game design then I'm all ears :)
    In the meantime I look forward to learning from everyone and seeing where this thing goes.

32. StenBone

StenBone

Hello Everyone!

I work in the US on the application development team for an insurance company. While my role does allow to me to interact with code, it's never allowed to really apply myself in becoming a better programmer. I'm always juggling too many projects, some technical and some non-technical, which prevent me from bettering my skills.

I've been using Unity on and off since 2014. Like many of you, I have worked with several engines, but now I want to focus my efforts on Unity and earn the Unity Professional Programmer certification to stand out. I've chosen Unity over the competition due to its wide scale adoption across multiple industries outside of gaming. I'm hoping to learn a lot from the other developers on this team and really dive into Unity best practices.

I have several favorite games, but I'll list Else Heart.Break() seeing as it never gets the attention it deserves. This game has a great story about dystopian totalitarianism, fantastic music, quirky and distinct art style and a novel game mechanic that allows the player to interact with the world through programming simple scripts. It even has a trippy representation of the internet and arcade machines that will play games written in the scripting language. For me, this game had it all, great gameplay, story and art. One day, I hope to create a homage to this game.

Wrapping things up, I look forward to hearing from everyone and learning from the community. This is my first real deep dive into Unity. I have been a lurker for years. It's going to be fun to really participate in the community and dedicate my time to improving as a Unity programmer.

33. caseyhines

caseyhines

Hello!

I am Casey from Oregon. My background is military, physics, engineering, and computer science. I have been working in the semiconductor industry for about a decade now, first in Systems Engineering, but more recently as a Fault Isolation Engineer and Software Engineer.

I started using Unity in 2019 helping a friend with a hobby game. I didn't do much, just some autopilot scripts for a flying simulator. What I did learn from the experience was how powerful Unity is. Now I am really trying to get my feet wet with game development, particularly open source. Naturally this project was the top contender for a project where I can learn and get experience in this field.

My favorite game is Kerbal Space Program (A Unity Project).

I am hoping to contribute code. My relevant experience is .NET/C# and physics. I also have experience in 3D modeling but more CAD oriented, nothing like this, so I am hoping to learn a little Blender, and possibly contribute some art.

Looking forward to working with you!

34. KrankerApfel

KrankerApfel

Hi everyone !

My name is Tom and I come from France. I'm a student in computer science and I begin Unity in 2019 for my previous job in simulation and at my school. I hope to becoming a computer graphic engineer, but I'm a very begginer in this field. My strenght are : conception of systems and software architectures, gameplay programming and a creativ mind :D

Now, it's been a while since I used Unity and I wan't to train myself at game programming and shader/ animation / particles / camera manipulation. It's a good opportunity to learn how are managed wide projects ( including how to don't make your git branches a messy hell haha ! ) and see how others people way to think and solve problem.

My favourite game is Bloodborne, because of the way the narrative is told by the objects and the environments. It's like being an explorer in an unknown land and trying to understand what's going on. Currently, I got a huge interest on Hades and Dead Cells, but I don't have a lot of time play due to my school and my job.

Nice to meet you ! I hope being capable of doing something for this open project and I thank Unity for this excellent initiative ! :)

35. arunchahar

arunchahar

Hey everyone ! :)

My name is Arun Chahar and I am from India. I am a Software Developer.

Since childhood my hobby has been drawing and sketching. My first programming language was C++ with Turbo C++ compiler. For college I chose electronics as I found building circuits more exciting and fun. Then I turned towards game programming and started with pygame, then Construct 2, Unreal (dropped later due to blueprints) and finally Unity. I made single level 2d platformers but have not created a complete game. I have tried teaming up but none of the classmates were interested, then I got a job so had to drop it and have working since then.

I have been using unity since Unity version 5 o_O ? I think it was 5.* something?!. Sometimes during weekends surf youtube channels - Unity, Brackeys, Jimmy Vegas and sometimes build some stuff following tutorials. Touched a little bit of blender for modelling as well.

:p I basically touched many things but didn't had enough time and energy to go in depth as there are too many things of interest. But It was fun going through everything. :D

I found about this project through Unity's youtube channel which I usually visit during weekends. Then during December holidays I signed up and started looking where I could contribute. Initially I thought there was a strict requirement so I brushed up C# basics. After going through forums I found that the forums are quite relaxed and community members also provide constructive feedback. I chose to contribute in art as it was more fun to do and I have picked up drawing about after a decade and digitally. My first few arts were rough as it was awkward to get used to drawing tablet (I use Huion Inspiroy by the way). Gradually getting used to it.

I am participating in this project because its fun.:p for me :D. Many community members @Smurjo @itsLevi0sa and @cirocontinisio from Unity are very supportive and provide regular feedback. Thanks guys.
    It feels good to see that many people came together and contributed to build a game online. Its a very great initiative by Unity. I hope there are more such kind of projects in future.

There are too many choices and I have no single favourite game. Mario, Contra, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, Army Men World War, Prince Of Persia Series, Middle Earth Series, Crysis Series, Assassins Creed Series, etc.
    I have three favourite characters - The Dark Prince from Prince Of Persia The Two Thrones, Ezio Autore da Firenze from Ezio Trilogy (AC 2, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations), Altair ibn la Ahad from Assassins Creed.
    Best cinematic trailers are from AC Revelations and AC 3.

36. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Yo! That's so cool!

arunchahar and cirocontinisio like this.
  37. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello Arun, I am from India too. You are the first Indian whom I found here.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    arunchahar likes this.
  38. paciFIST_Studios

paciFIST_Studios

My name is Ellie Love, and I live in Seattle, in the United States.

I think the first time I ever used Unity was in a 4.x version, but I have not been regularly developing in Unity.

My primary goal in participating in this project, is to help build a gameplay programming portfolio. I've always found it very difficult to start a project from the ground up, so I'm hoping--with this project already started--I can just work on some open tickets, and maybe even incrementally build out a feature.

Secondarily, I want to learn more about proper planning, and documentation. I've quite liked the card-deck approach associated with this project.

Choosing a favorite game is hard, but today, I'm going to say Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, because I like the sailing in it a great deal.

Good to meet y'all.

39. arunchahar

arunchahar

:) Thanks @MortyJHin

Hello @Harsh-099 . :cool:. Same you are the first one too.

:D Hello there, another AC fan.

40. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Hey everyone! Thought I should probably introduce myself at this point and say hello to you all :)
    So hello! My name is Elli Koliniati (she/her), I am 2..9 from Athens, Greece. I am an architect and occasional set designer with a passion for theater/performances and games. Anything that involves a story, a space and some sort of interaction really ^^
    My experience with Unity started in 2020 basically with the Create With Code Live sessions back in March, when Unity first decided to put premium learning content for free to help deal with Covid and the stay-at-home situation. And it helped. A lot! The people there were amazing and I wanted to put a bit more serious effort to understand more from the developer’s side and perhaps do something on my own one day (like soo many others). I've done some efforts in Unreal before in uni years, but Unity's community and support gradually "won me over". So I cannot describe how thrilled I was when I heard of this project! I never had the chance before to try my design skills on an actual game and watch it grow. I jumped in since day 1 (as I was unemployed and in a very transitional part in my life at that time) and somehow sticked with it till the end - I am glad I did. I got an actual job in the meantime as a designer for XR experiences using Unity for my first time which I like and I am pretty sure Chop Chop did bring some luck in this :) At least it definitely helped to realize better the actual challenges and pipelines. Plus the scope and time it actually takes to do some things! Both in whiteboxing and in general. (But I’ll save more for the feedback thread)

Favorite games: I like games that offer some kind of an experience in a short amount of time. So if I’d had to pick a favorite that would be…the Beginners Guide. Or Journey. Among many others :) Waiting to add Chop Chop on my list now <3

Many congratulations to each and every one of you, especially the core team of course Ciro, Amel, Chema you were beyond great! It was great “meeting” and working with you all, definitely an experience to remember and a much appreciated legendary initiative. Thank you SO much :)

treivize, Smurjo, ChemaDmk and 3 others like this.
  41. Pathfinder007_ZA

Pathfinder007_ZA

Good day !
    Hope you all doing well :D

My name is Iyaad and I am currently acquiring my B.S IT / Network & Security Engineering, this includes learning C++. During my spare time I started coding a RPG game in Java. I caught a bad gaming bug when I started this project and ever since, I set myself out on this journey to learn more game techniques.

I am still a beginner however I do understand the underlying coding concepts and structures. I am really eager to dive deeper in this field. I have never coded with unity or any sort of that.

Is there any recommendations on guides or tutorials I could follow along ? I am certain I can master any project given my way and I will honestly love to work on this open project once I know where I can start :D

Amel-Unity and cirocontinisio like this.
  42. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes, there are. Just dive into YouTube and search for some unity tutorials. Then look for some topics that interests you. Then follow along the whole tutorial and you will surely learn a lot.

What you used to make a game in Java. I also wanted to know how to make .jar applications. I have seen many of them and their UI looked great to me. Then I wanted to make applications in them. I searched on google but couldn't find any. Do you have some knowledge on this topic and/or some nice tutorials?

43. StenBone

StenBone

Howdy!

My name is Ben, I am a 29-year-old application developer living in Upstate South Carolina. I currently work for an insurance company and do game development as a hobby. I stated using Unity around 2015, when a professor at my university introduced me to the engine. Ever since then I have been tinkering with Unity as well as other game engines and learning as much as I can along the way.
    I want to participate in this project because I am a big supporter of open-source video game projects. Contributing to open-source projects is such a great learning opportunity. It teaches developers to work together, communicate, organize efforts, follow standards and so much more. I want more opportunities for game developers to participate to open-source projects.
    Else Heart.Break() is easily my favorite game. The interactivity in the world is incredible, and the atmosphere is spot on. The ability to program objects in the game world is my favorite game mechanic of all time. Such an incredible gem, I recommend it to anyone who likes programming and adventure games.

Amel-Unity likes this.
  44. Pathfinder007_ZA

Pathfinder007_ZA

Most Java tutorials are out dated, ive started with one that teaches you how to build your own game engine and 2D game, however i moved on from that to unity as it was very time consuming learning basic game engine concepts etc. If i do come across a good guide i shall hit you up :D

45. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks, nice of you. Where are your tutorials? If they are currently present (YouTube, written), I would like to learn atleast something from it.

46. ajinkyax

ajinkyax

What is your name? Ajinkya
    Where are you from? India
    When did you start using Unity? 1 months ago
    Why are you participating in this project? to learn
    Favorite game? Fallout 4

cirocontinisio likes this.
  47. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello there Ajinkya, I am from India too, and now there are 3 of us. Welcome.

48. AcesMan007

AcesMan007

What is your name?
    Where are you from?
    Favorite game?

G'day!

My name's James and as you may of guessed I'm from Australia.
    I'm 21 years old and have tinkered with computers ever since I can remember. I started Unity development when I was around 12 and made an android app that has since been lost in the abys of the play store. I've had experience in many different facets of the development process and proficient in coding and modelling. I haven't used Unity for many years now but I know I'd pick it up very quickly again. Game development isn't my absolute passion but I couldn't resist the opportunity to use my knowledge to help others if I can. Above all I just look forward to connecting with others and creating an amazing product.

Favourite game: Gta V or Gta SA
    It has to be one of the 2, have sunk an embarrassing amount of hours into these.

49. BryanHan

BryanHan

Hey there,

My name is Baichuan (you can call me Bryan ), and nice to meet you! I'm a junior frontend/backend/Google Sheet automation developer, and I love making games with Unity. Since I've been making little games and joining game jams on my own, now I wish to work with a team on a bigger and more ambitious project.

I have Chop Chop imported to my Unity 2020.3.17 and have started playing and exploring the file system. Hopefully, I'll quickly understand the code design/style (or understand how the code works), so I can start taking on one of those action item cards :)

I also use Blender and know a little bit about UV texturing and rigging. I use Krita for 2D art, and I can code in C#.

By the way, here are a few games I made, solo in Unity

Bryan

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    cirocontinisio and Amel-Unity like this.
  50. nishant1240

nishant1240

Hi, this is nishant, and I am from India.
    I early starting unity because l love play games and I make games on my way.

Harsh-NJ likes this.