Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kwcae, Jul 29, 2019.

1. kwcae

kwcae

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night

I'm in the process of generating questions to ask several intermediate unity (generalist) candidates and wanted to get some suggestions from the community about as to what you'd think a good question would be.

So far i have generated the following questions based on historical needs:
    1. The client has need for a large environment (100mi x 100mi) in which to operate an aircraft both close to the ground as well as at altitudes approaching 50kft, how would you go about configuring Unity's terrain engine to ensure that terrain fidelity remains high while avoiding ground objects such as roads from clipping through the terrain.

2. What techniques would you use to reduce the effects of simulation sickness in VR?

3. You have a large number (~200) of gameObjects in one or more prefabs within the main scene. These gameObjects need to be periodically referenced and configured by other dynamic components and classes. How would you setup your references to ensure both performance at run time as well as ease of maintainability?

4. You've been tasked to add multi-user capabilities to an existing application. The client wants to have 3-4 users to be able to see what each other is looking at, as well as where they are. What are your next steps?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would rather look at candidates portfolio and talk about their experience, rather asking random generic questions, which can be answers by most, who aplies. Not necessary by who you want to recruit. Then fit your question to your need.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Top question: What are the links to your portfolio site and/or GitHub contributions? (Antypodish just beat me to that. :)) It's more important to know what they've finished than answers to random technical questions.

Reflecting on your historical needs is wise. But if they're historical then you've already solved them. Find out how they have solved problems themselves, to get an understanding of their problem-solving skills. Ask them to describe how they encountered and resolved a technical challenge in their past work, and a software development process challenge, and a teamwork challenge.

As engineers, it's easy for us to think of technical questions to ask. But technical answers can be learned or searched up. The abilities to approach problem solving rationally, finish tasks, and work with others are harder skills to develop but more important in the long run.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. kwcae

kwcae

I agree fully, these are the candidates who have already had Portfolio/Game Jam content reviewed and passed that stage indicating that they have the ability to self drive and complete tasks.

Your second paragraph didn't even occur to me, but makes sense, thank's for triggering that though process.