Search Unity

Interpolation between poses

Discussion in 'Animation' started by a-t-hellboy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

Hey there,
    Recently I watched David Rosen GDC talk about Overgrowth animation system and it is interesting. Now I'm working a little on it.

I've searched so much but there isn't enough information about it in Unity. (There are some links for UE but they were all done by blueprint and I think UE developers add this feature to their engine (I guess before this release UE had blending between poses as a model))

My first try is using Blend Tree of Animator. Save each pose as 1 frame animation and blend between them and it works good but I'm absolutely sure, it's not a correct approach because the first problem is, I should export these poses as an 1 frame animation from another software like 3DMax or Maya.

So for now I want to know do you guys have any idea how to interpolate or blend between 2 poses which they are created in Unity just by changing transform information of bones ? (Like making animation in Unity in Animation tab which we just make key frames and it is interpolating)

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

If you want to make an animation by interpolating between two key frames, why don't you just ... make an animation with two key frames? That's like, the whole premise of keyframe based animation in the first place.

leftshoe18 likes this.
  3. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

You mean by Animation window in Unity ? I guess there are some problems in it. I think I don't have a control on everything.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Max and Maya can export animations. Instead of exporting 2 separate poses, just export an animation with those as the two keyframes. I don't understand what you think you would gain by exporting the poses individually.

5. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

Have you watched that talk ?
    Actually I don't want to use any 3rd party software for animations.

6. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Not recently. I watched it years ago when it was first posted.

If you don't want to use other software then don't. Unity's Animation window lets you edit animations too, it's just not as good as a program that has been developed for years with that purpose in mind.

7. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

After using Unity's built in animation editor, I thought there must be something better. I searched the Asset store and found Umotion. There is a free version to try out and see if you like it. It's much easier to work with and you're still doing it within Unity.

8. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

Unity Animation window has many problems for this approach because I should have full control on every bones. I think I need to implement blending and interpolation by myself.

9. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

It seems really good but guys do you know how blending works programmatically ?

10. dibdab

dibdab

you need a reference pose to lerp to
    I approached it like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (lBody.chest) cWalker.bones.Chest.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp (cWalker.bones.Chest.rotation, cWalker.comp.anibonesC.bones.Chest.rotation, coLerp.perc);
    and you'll find other things along the way, like when to switch back to animation, root position etc

a-t-hellboy likes this.
  11. share_gamerz_ID

share_gamerz_ID

I wonder how can i access posture to lerp. If I pass animation clip I remember there is not any way to access bone transform. Although animator gives bones transform.:( Any idea?

12. jdiogobc

jdiogobc

Did you ever got a nice solution for this? I am in the exact same situation