Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Internal, dedicated or multiple GPUs support for Unity standalone application

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mmortall, Jun 19, 2019.

1. mmortall

mmortall

Hello.

There are systems that support multiple GPUs (gamers notebooks, MacBooks with dedicated GPU etc.). But when Unity app running on these systems it always peaks a dedicated (most powerful) GPU by default. Currently, I didn't found a way to set what GPU to use for Unity or make it switch to GPU I want. It always uses a one "default" GPU selected by some unclear logic.

This is a problem for notebooks. When it works from the battery I want to use internal weaker GPU for longer working time. Also, Mac OS is able to switch the GPU automatically for the application that supported this feature.

For example, for Mac OS there is a NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching flag for plist to allow an application to utilize internal GPU. But it is not working for the Unity application.

Could Unity or someone clarify when the support of multiple GPUs will be available in Unity or how I can implement this? Because OSX or Windows standalone projects is not yet exposed in the latest Unity.
    Thanks

unityunity