Search Unity

Interface question for the Dev/Design team, Do you watch people using the app?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by unityuserunity85496, Jun 4, 2019.

1. unityuserunity85496

unityuserunity85496

I'm not trying to troll, please let that be clear.

The only real question I have is do you watch new and experienced users using the app from scratch to long tail projects?
    Do you still use the app to make games from scratch?

My first initial view of even the new betas 2019 are one of tiny nuances of using the interface to do basic everyday tasks like finding new packages in the package manager, or finding docs for common tasks like VR native use. Or making duplicates of a shader / material.

Two examples:
    - The right click in project view menu to create anything is A: under a secondary menu and B: is getting HUGE
    - The way to make a material + shader is tiresome
    1: right click in Hierarchy window
    2: Find 3D object, find Cube
    3: Go to Project window, go to folder or crate folders to prepare organization
    4: right click projects window find Create sub menu, find "Material"
    5: right click projects window find Create sub menu Find sub menu Shader, find pick one of the different shader options
    6: double click on the shader to fix the name cause you clicked out of its naming mode to fast
    (i know theres some trick at step 5/6 to auto link these but I cant recall and if its not in the interface i never will)
    7: edit shader in a different program save return to unity, wait for it to reimport
    8: drag material to 3d object
    9: select model, scroll down to material box, click on Shader drop down dig around to find your shader

Tada, repeat for other objects if they need a different mat

I know some scripts could clean that up, but thats not default, its another thing to add to a clean project and an interface item to find and click on.

One idea is each object holds its own mat/shader fully editable on creation and has a simple button to release to a folder when needed to reuse, or has a duplication button when sharing a mat so you can quickly prototype stuff and get some different colors.

This was just a small example of many little daily things that could use some sprucing up. Not making the app dumber to use, rather more direct to use.

The app still makes great games and I deal with the interface from many projects of experience. I use a lot of visual design/graphics apps so remembering a lot of interfaces hotkeys and typical actions always will conflict, so making basic things trivial is key. I'm not naming any apps here since this is not a commentary of who is better, that would be nobody.

Where/how would I post UI use commentary?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If Unity is like any other company I've worked for that collects this kind of information. They look at the data in aggregate. They look for larger trends, how often features are used, what features appear almost entirely unused, what are the most common and least common work flows, and general statistics.

For example, when they dropped 32 bit editor support, and separately UnityScript support, they made justifications with their statistics data. Even if they are collecting it, I highly doubt they are following individual users as they walk through the motions click for click, menu by menu.

3. unityuserunity85496

unityuserunity85496

Ah, that gives me a good perspective.

4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Have you seen this thread? Unity asked developers to perform specific tasks and send them video recordings. Additionally, Unity stated during their Unite talks that they visited a hundred-some developers at their studios to gather feedback. The thing is, there are thousands of points on everybodies todo list, they need to focus on what the general public wants. So, the perfect thing to do, is voice your opinion where you can. With a good title, forum threads will also be seen by the devs.

5. unityuserunity85496

unityuserunity85496

Snazzy! will try making a vid