Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting new Early Access platform for developers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meltdown, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

I saw this today when reading an article about early access experiences from several developers on PC Gamer.

EarlyNinja is a new Early Access platform, currently running a KickStarter.

It looks like it addresses quite a few issues with EA and crowdfunding... any thoughts?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's basically a curation system. Which means it will be just like the old curation days of online marketplaces. In that you can only get on with a lot of money or by sleeping with the right person on the curation team.

This doesn't solve early access. But it's an interesting attempt.

3. mgear

mgear

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

I wouldn't call it a curation system.
    Did you read the Kickstarter page?

It resolves some issues around crowdfunding too where developers are only paid once certain milestones are reached, not given the whole lump sum at the beginning. This IMO is the biggest benefit to this system, and the reason I would back it.

The fact they curate only for quality games is great, there needs to be more quality in this world and less crap. But I wouldn't call that the focus of their system.

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

So he compares the system to publishers, which is not what it is trying to be, weak arguments against it TBH.

If the developer wants to get a publisher (and getting a good publishing deal is very, very difficult), then they should go for that.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I read the page. The system boils down to two factors.
    • Developers will only get paid when their game hits certain development milestones.
    • Games will be hand picked
    Both of these amount to a heavy amount of hand curation. At some point someone has to sit down and decide what games should be admitted, and when each game has met specific milestones.

This sort of curation is expensive. Meaning only a handful of games will ever be able to get through. Expect some bitter disputes to arise over milestone accomplishment too.

More curation is not the answer. And given the size of the market, it's simply not possible for anything more then a tiny corner of the market to be effectively curated.

GarBenjamin, theANMATOR2b and MV10 like this.
  7. AndreasU

AndreasU

This has caught a lot of flack:
    https://twitter.com/MrRyanMorrison/status/824010870741172224
    http://mikebithell.tumblr.com/post/156352150437/some-thoughts-and-advice-for-earlyninja

The concept is deeply flawed.

The backed amount basically froze after a few backers put in suspiously high amounts to reach the current amount.

Most comments on the KS page are trolling them. It's glorious.
    EN stopped tweeting. It's over.

It might sound nice at first, but so does everything that touts "We'll protect you from evil scammers!".

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I did bite the amount of funds per backer was suspiciously high. You can't tell me backers are willing to throw on average 100 each at this thing.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The whole milestone thing is interesting. It raises so many questions. First and foremost, what happens if a design changes and details of a milestone are no longer valid? By their description, if the "detailed roadmap" is not followed that's grounds for a refund, where in reality it might the result of changes that are exactly what a project needs.

I love the principle, their description just sounds far too much like a rigid take on the waterfall production model to me.

It sounds like these people plan to play the role of game producers with crowdsourced funds. To be fair that's not a bad idea in and of itself. There are legitimate issues with how crowdfunding works, and having people with that kind of experience in the loop could be hugely beneficial, and they're specifically looking to solve real problems that plague crowdfunded or early access titles.

10. MV10

MV10

So... anybody have pictures of this person? :p :D

Blacklight likes this.
  11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Like the others above I checked it out and immediately thought this does nothing to solve anything. All it does is exactly like @BoredMormon said... this just creates another layer... another curation that may help the games that are hand-picked. But again any system like that will only be able to cover a tiny % of games.

These folks obviously want to start their own business and get a piece of the gaming pie. I don't fault them for that. I think it would make more sense for them to focus on a very niche area. 3D FPS curation for example. Where they hand pick what they feel is the best of the best 3D FPS games and set up the monitoring of milestones only for those projects.

Anytime someone else is trying to decide what is "worthy" and what isn't that's when we run into problems. Everyone will use their own biases to deem what is "worthy". So if their going to do something like that do it only for their favorite game genre or a subset within that genre. Something they KNOW very well and can make good decisions about.

Trying to be the judge & jury for all games passing through Kickstarter is just stupid IMO.

Kiwasi and Meltdown like this.
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Crowdfunding a crowdfunding platform? Can I make a Kickstarter campaign to create a better Kickstarter?

13. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Saw this a while ago and they were originally violating copyrights by including images from some very big games without permissions, making it seem like they had the backing of those companies. I don't have links to what I read, but it sounded very scammy.

angrypenguin and zombiegorilla like this.
  14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Their shop front mockup still has Assassin's Creed shown in it. Even if they have permission, as a customer I find that pretty misleading. It's associating their platform with big-budget blockbuster titles, which isn't at all in line with the kind of games they're pitching for.

Also, importantly to me, they talk about how experienced they are but I'm not seeing anything that indicates experience specific to gaming. The most specific thing mentioned is "marketing and communication", which could explain the waterfall thing I mentioned before.

Dave-Carlile and Kiwasi like this.