Search Unity

Interesting new app

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by bigkahuna, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I saw this posted in another forum. Looks like a greatly watered down (like with huge buckets) Zbrush. I think it's got potential, but still has a way to go. Take a look:

http://www.cbmodelpro.com/

2. Morgan

Morgan

Thanks--looks like it has potential.

No G4 support though (at least not officially): Windows or Mac, G5 or Intel.

3. sr

sr

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

CB Model Pro is turning out to be a bit of a disappointment. Only models that can be imported are .OBJ "primatives" and those are restricted to less than 100 Kb :(

Mudbox is real cool. Beta is Windoze only though.

This is becoming very interesting (sculpt mesh in Blender):
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71671

5. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Looks interesting, not really willing to try the demo tho.
    As for Z, it's gonna have a tough competitor in Mudbox. MB is a great app so far, and quite intuitive.

Blender although having tons of "cool" features is quite painstaking to use in its current state. It seriously gave me a headache.

Also if you want a cheap sculpting app with other features, try Hexagon 2

Cheers

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I just installed the new Blender with sculpt mesh build. A note to anyone else interested in trying this, you'll need to update your Python install to version 2.4+ which can be found here:

http://www.python.org/download/

I still haven't really tried it yet, but the screen shots look pretty good. Don't know what to say to the Blender haters out there except that it works for me! ;)

About CB Model Pro, I'm not convinced it will do anything for me, but I'll keep an eye on it just in case. Looked interesting at first, but after deeper investigation it's appearing less interesting all the time...

About Hexagon, yeah, I missed out on the $39 deal, I should have just bought it even though I didn't think I needed it at the time. I've been following the Daz3D/Eovia forums and it looks like Hex is having major problems with bugs and Macintel. Hopefully they'll fix the bugs and release a UB version soon.

Incidently, the UB version of Carrara 5 Pro should be available today...

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Still looking for cools apps to fill my new iMac's HD. Found this free normal map tool while looking for a plugin for GIMP / PS:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18846

It basically converts your B&W image into a normal map. Imports JPG and TIF and exports TIF. I found a bug in it so it doesn't save maps bigger than 512x512 properly (squishes them vertically) but since there's no contact info there's no way to check on a fix. But it's free and works under OSX...

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Ooo... the sculpt mesh tool in Blender is pretty darn cool. I got it working and played with it a bit. Here's the scoops for anyone else interested:

Latest build (yesterday's) is here:

http://blendertestbuilds.de/index.php?dir=Testbuilds/SOC2006/Sculpt_CW/MacOs/&file=sculptblender.zip

You'll need to install Python 2.4 (link is above) and then just replace the Blender binary with the one I listed here. This is a PPC binary, but seems to work fine on my Intel iMac.

Here's a super quick tutorial to get you going:

http://lecocqguillaume.chez-alice.fr/temp/Texture.swf

This is still in development and is expected to be finalized in the next release (along with the new cloth engine). But it's already in a very useable state IMHO.

9. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Can't say I'm a blender hater, I applaud the efforts put into an open source application that integrates pro like tools. But it's just like what the otee gents said. UI is basically 90% of the app, without it everything is a jubbled mess.

Cheers

10. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Did we say that?

11. AaronC

AaronC

Big K
    That link was a dead end
    For blender build
    Maybe theyre updating?
    AC

12. pete

pete

that's a cool find bigk! haven't been following blender for a while. just dl'd 242 a couple days back for the new unwrap stuff. looks nice and easy but i haven't tried it yet. sculpting, retopo... yeah that's sweet.

[edit: targos... ??? i just was there 2 seconds ago. try it again or copy and paste...]

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Here try this link, it's the primary build download:

http://ultrashare.net/hosting/fl/7fd4c5f1f7/

Or better yet, follow the actual forum thread. The OSX builds are being made by a volunteer and not the primary developer, so it's download link could change frequently.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71671

Hmm... I'm an admittedly gui oriented guy, but can't say I agree with that entirely, at least not the first half of that sentence. I also don't think that Blender's GUI is a "jumbled mess". I think it's all about how your brain is set up and what you're used to. For me 30 seconds with XSI was enough to convince me that it's not an app I'd like to learn. Some folks probably have a similar reaction to Blender (or Hexagon or Lightwave or... ... you name it).

I'm also not trying to sell anyone on Blender, I've got nothing to gain by doing so. Just passing on some info I thought might interest the masses...

14. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yep, "pure" Aqua is fine for a lot of things, but Unity is definitely more space efficient the way it is. Nice helicopter though. :)

As for Blender, ideally you want to be using the keyboard commands for everything anyway. The menus are just there so you're not completely lost until you get them memorized.... (It's actually kinda cool that it's 100% OpenGL, because that way it's identical on all systems, which was nice when I went from using it on Linux to OS X.)

--Eric

16. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Yeah - bumpmapped and everything. Lost the model, I'm afraid - shame, could've used it in Intifada.

I made that in Blender, btw ;-)

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Ouch, that screenshot made me twitch slightly. The only advantage to that windowed layout is for dual screen set-ups. Actually it would be pretty awesome if we could detach the scene/game view in Unity and drag it onto a separate screen.

18. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Funny thing: With that layout, the main views were still together, so that was the only thing you couldn't drag out.

19. Marble

Marble

It's definitely come a long way. How long has Unity been in development?

20. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Yeah don't quote me on it, just remembered seeing that somewhere on the boards :) Maybe it was like 70% :p
    And for the record I have no qualms with whatever software works for an individual, it's all preference, I myself use whatever gets the job done quicker.

Cheers!