Search Unity

Interesting, but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redindus, Sep 14, 2018.

1. redindus

redindus

Just got into this today, haven't launch Unity yet. How did I find this? Well there were some games I saw on Steam were developed by Unity. And just curious how things are setup if you going to create your own projects, etc.

I have some knowledge on C and C++, but not good. Still need to learn them if I going to continue programming. But wasn't sure how this is setup. I wanted to do something with 2D, but not sure about 3D, since it require a lot more work and I prefer to do something simple before doing a larger project.

I did saw Game Studio 2 on Steam, so many silly video games were made by this tool. But there up and down with it. So I wasn't sure if I should try using Unity or Game Studio 2, or even both to find what I need that will finish my projects.

What I want to do is create an tactical/strategy game such as Hearts of Iron Series or Great Naval Battles of World War II, etc. Played so many games based on history and none even come close what I about to do and I did though making a board game instead. The problems is that on the board game, it would be complex as hell, too much for a beginner and hardly anyone got the time messing with it or even find a opponent in your area. So I figured I should switch to PC.

Also noticed that if you pay that monthly fees for a year, they suppose to help you with your projects? Dunno if that is true or even worth it. But would like to get you guys opinions on that.

Any feedbacks would be nice, got tired of playing those games that just not up for the pace and decided to do it myself. Something simple and work my way up there.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Welcome.
    The Learn section will provide a good starting place on your journey. https://unity3d.com/learn
    You don't need to subscribe to unity unless you want the additional services or are meet the revenue requirement. They won't help you directly with your project.

I believe you are talking about the success advisor, which will help point to resources to help you. The actual service is unclear at this point, but fairly certain it is not a support service or tutor. Maybe someone who has had experience with this service and chime in as to what the details are.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Did you mean Game Maker Studio 2? In my opinion GMS2 is easy to use and it's a great tool for making certain types of games, but Unity is much more flexible and powerful. That also means that Unity will generally take longer to learn and require more expertise. (By the way, you'll find that there are even more really-silly games on Steam that were made with Unity)

There is a Learn Section to help get you started.

One big advantage that Unity has a free version that does everything. You can even build for all of the supported platforms (except for consoles). This is much more expensive with GMS.

I wouldn't bother with the paid versions yet, until you get to know the software better.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

How many hours a day do you think you can pour into:
    1. learning how to do this?
    2. do it,
    This is the only questions that matter.

5. redindus

redindus

Thank you guys, that really help and yeah I was thinking about getting into this first for awhile and see if I really need to get into that monthly fees. Like Zombie said, they don't help you, so there no point doing so.

I will poke around and read the learning sections first and spend time with it for awhile and see. Hard to believe that you can get this for free and make your own, whatever you desire. Are you able to complie and finish the projects and ready to be release as .exe, .com. .dll, etc without letting them know or gotta pay for it???

6. redindus

redindus

All day and everyday, I am retired person and looking for something to do creative. But I do like getting into World War II in the Pacific and wanted to do something useful. So this maybe a long road for me do to, esp alone. I am an old man, but I should be able to do it.

Antypodish likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Happy retirement then! :D

The long way would be:
    1. learn how to use Blender, so that you can create your own models (planes, ships and the rest),
    2. learn how to use Unity.
    As others have posted, learning how to use Unity is possible on this website (avoid YouTube lessons for now). On the top of this page you'll find a "Learn" link. Explore, begin learning, take your time, begin with small projects, ask questions and, if you haven't yet, learn patience... ;)

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

Yes, as long as you earn less than $100,000.00 a year. I've been using the free version exclusively ever since it first came out.

9. redindus

redindus

Ah yes I have Blender on wishlist on Steam, hard to believe that is free as well. Once I get my bearing going then I poke around with the blender lol. And thank you for the input about retirement :)

Hard to believe that is true, this tool would be great for anyone, if they are creative enough and willing to spend time with it.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

On wishlist? It's already available for free on Steam.

A place you need to visit here or at least bookmark and keep at hand for the day you feel ready to actually do something with Unity: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/best-practices