Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Interested in Visual Scripting? Try GameFlow for a change...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas-Pasieka, May 17, 2017.

1. PaulGK

PaulGK

I've been waiting for the update since it was announced around October 2016. Back then it was slated for a release in November that year. Its well over a year since and I personally have moved on and currently I am having a play with Bolt.
    I loved Gameflow when it was first released but the lack of updates and a constantly shifting release date finally put me off.

2. WhatlsMyName

WhatlsMyName

@_xeleh_

I know you get a lot of "Where's the update? RAWR!!?"...I just bought GF, trusting that you will continue supporting and improving it. Thanks for making such a great tool.

In case you're interested, GF particularly appeals to me in concept, because I do "visual scripting" for my job, using a program called Articulate Storyline 3 (https://articulate.com/p/storyline-3).

It's a tool used for building e-learning slideshows, that look and behave like a PowerPoint presentation, but are interactive for the user.

The logic is handled using what Articulate calls "Triggers" (https://community.articulate.com/series/4/articles/adding-triggers). Look familiar?

So, from one solo dev to another, thanks again _xeleh_, you're doing great work!

3. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

v1.0 beta 8 is 90% finished. This is the latest internal version prior to the release candidate.

JoMaHo likes this.
  4. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

I have all messaging disabled in Facebook and I only use it for the users group. Please try sending me an email or posting your questions in the public group and I will do my best to reply on the same day.
    Truth to be said I have been more focused in other projects lately, but I am now back on track. So YES, I am still developing GameFlow and working towards releasing v1.0 asap.

5. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

I totally understand your decision. All I can say is that I truly know that I did an awful job at managing the release cycles this year, but sometimes things are complicated. The truth is that I totally know how to do this properly, so I want to believe that bad times will pass and I will be able to improve my development process and get more stable updates during 2018.

PaulGK likes this.
  6. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

Thanks for trusting and for not asking for an ETA! :D
    Wow, I didn't know that tool and it looks like a pretty good reference. Thanks again, I will take a deeper look (when I have the time) for inspiration.

7. nikosurfing

nikosurfing

GREAT!, thank you

I bought Bolt several weeks ago and i tried to follow some tutorial and have a lot of time to work, but to be honest, i don't know how to play the logic of every unit. I think at the moment i don't use bolt yet. I just dont ready. Instead i will focus on art and keep using gameflow. Sorry for my english

8. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Great to hear - really looking forward to the release :)

9. LazyGoblinCody

LazyGoblinCody

Can game flow interact with scripts I create using C#?

Can I use both game flow and c# together?

10. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Sure, no problem.

Use actions Set/get script property, and Invoke action, it does the trick!

Gameflow is a beauty!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    _xeleh_ likes this.
  11. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

That's right. In addition, in the upcoming v1.0 you will find a couple of new actions to interface with ScriptableObjects.

12. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

Happy to let you know that GameFlow v1.0 is almost ready for submission. The new price will be $50, it comes with the extensibility API fully disclosed, Unity 5.6 + 2017.x + 2018.1b compatibility and a lot more:

https://evasiongames.com/gameflow/releases/v1.0-whatsnew

I will be opening a new thread in the 'Assets and Asset Store' forum for the official announcement. Pretty soon.

13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's great news @_xeleh !

14. AllanRW

AllanRW

I've just bought GF, I'm currently have Unity 2018.1b installed, should I downgrade or wait for the 1.0 release? @_xeleh_ Do you have a release date?

15. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

The current version in the store is not tested with 2018.1b (obviously) so I can't guarantee it to work properly. Yes, it's probably a good idea to downgrade meanwhile.

The new version should be available during this month as I will be submitting to Unity in the next days (I am just finishing images and docs) but it depends on the review process, so I can't guarantee an exact release date.

Werewoodle, AllanRW and JoMaHo like this.
  16. _xeleh_

_xeleh_

GameFlow v1.0 has been submitted for review.

17. Werewoodle

Werewoodle

I've used pretty much every visual scripting asset available. Gameflow is the only one that makes sense to me because it streamlines scripting and also increases development speed. Everything else just slowed me down. I love not being bogged down with API reference look ups or IDE juggling. 1.0 seems to only improve the speed at which I’ll be able to create things. Can’t wait.

_xeleh_ likes this.
  18. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@_xeleh_ will the website docs be updated at the same time the v1.0 goes live? I keep refreshing pages on the user guide there to see what I can find. :p

evasiongames likes this.
  19. evasiongames

evasiongames

I will do my best to have the main parts of the documentation in the coming days and some new tutorials in the coming weeks, but the rest will have to be added progressively because completing the documentation is a big project itself. Please bear in mind the full doc is like thousands of pages in two different languages. It will take some time for sure.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  20. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Yup, totally get it! I saw all of those placeholder pages and assumed it would be a ton of work for you. But in the end it will be super helpful for folks like me who need the handholding. :D

evasiongames likes this.
  21. Werewoodle

Werewoodle

You can see some completed documentation if you switch the language on the site. You can use google translate to read it if you don't speak Spanish.

22. evasiongames

evasiongames

Yes, there are several guides in Spanish, but those are from the old documentation.

23. Werewoodle

Werewoodle

Good to know. I never even bothered looking before because your asset was pretty easy to figure out with the included examples.

evasiongames likes this.
  24. evasiongames

evasiongames

Happy to know that the included examples are actually useful. That's how I learnt BASIC back in the 80s and I always thought it was fun. Good memories :)

jonfinlay likes this.
  25. Werewoodle

Werewoodle

1.0 is live. I've imported successfully.

Edit: Well done xeleh. It's great.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    evasiongames likes this.
  26. sledgeman

sledgeman

I got a notification, that i bought GameFlow back in 2015. So long time ago....things have changed. There was ca. a 2 year stop with regular updates after v.0.9x. Can the dev maybe give us a lil. prediction if we will got more frequent updates now ?

27. evasiongames

evasiongames

Not really a 2 year stop. There were several updates during 2016 and the last beta version (v0.9.9b) was released in December 2016, that is, a year and 4 months ago.

I did my best to release v1.0 during 2017 but S*** happens, you know. I can tell you it's almost a miracle that we have v1.0 after the struggles I had last year.

I will explain my plans for GameFlow in another thread pretty soon, but yes, I can confirm that we will have patches and more frequent updates.

28. sledgeman

sledgeman

Crazy. What miracle happend ? You got me now :). Nice to hear if you, your team is up to give GameFlow some more frequent luv :cool:

29. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

The new version of Gameflow 1.0 - WOW! It´s just a fantastic tool
    that could make any novice into an intermediate in no time.

Thank you @_xeleh_ at @Evasion Games for all your hard and massive work on this tool, and
    especially on the new v1.0 - I bow in respect!

I´m thrilled by the simplicity and intuitiveness of the Gameflow building blocks, that in a few minutes can make your
    game objects dance at your command on your screen; coding becomes like playing.

I love that I´m able to combine regular C# scripts with swift Gameflow code
    blocks, and make them all talk together in a structured and logic
    way that both the novice, intermediate and even the pro coder can benefit from.

I´m enchanted by the fact the all you need to get into serious Unity coding with Gameflow,
    is a basic sense of logic, and in in that respect, Gameflow is a tool that truly democratises coding!

I have a hot tip to Unity: Make Gameflow a part of the Unity upgrade bundles. Why?
    Because it is a tool that perfectly matches Unity´s ambition to make game development
    available for the masses ;-)

What more is there to say - go get it - if you are a king or a peasant, it will make your day better!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Thomas-Pasieka and _xeleh_ like this.
  30. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

I'm gonna have to make time to play with Gameflow (having purchased it ages ago).

Is this the correct forum thread to keep up to date with news and updates? I thought it originally had its own forum, but I can't find it on the website?

31. evasiongames

evasiongames

Yes, until I open another thread specifically for the official v1.0 announcement, this thread is a good place. The Facebook user group is also quite active these days, so please feel free to join.

I planned to open that other thread this week but some issues were found in v1.0 and I decided to focus my work on v1.0.1 instead, because to me it's very important that users can play with GameFlow with no annoyances. You can see all the fixed issues here. This patch should be available in the next days.

Thomas-Pasieka and stevenatunity like this.
  32. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

Thanks! I'll check out Facebook.

I've used Playmaker then moved on to C# but there's something about GameFlow I very much like :)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  33. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Version 1.0 really is incredibly powerful. In fact, it beats the forever promoted and pushed plugins such as Playmaker and the new Bolt by miles if you ask me. Problem is that Unity promotes the "flashy" looking new kid on the block (Bolt) while GameFlow gets nearly no love/promotion from Unity. Unfair? Yes. I am not paid to say these things, I am stating it because that's the reality publishers like the author of GameFlow are facing.

34. evasiongames

evasiongames

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  35. mediajolt

mediajolt

Anyone heard of an old app from the early 2000s called "iShell?" It was a multimedia authoring tool intended for projects for deployment on CD-ROMs or desktop. It never survived the changeover to the Web, which is a shame as it could have been a great alternative to Flash and ActionScript. Its interface was very much like GameFlow, and I was able to be extremely productive with it. As so it is with GameFlow - I love how it works and more importantly, how easy it is for me to iterate, experiment, and explore with it. I have bought nearly ALL of the other visual scripting tools, and none of them have let me get down to making as quickly as GameFlow. I'm a fan.

36. Gregorik

Gregorik

Super promising tool, and now unofficially supported by a forum moderator, which is always a good sign. ;)
    However, all the docs at https://evasiongames.com/gameflow/docs/ are unavailable. So how are we supposed to learn to use Gameflow fast?

RendCycle likes this.
  37. evasiongames

evasiongames

And there's a reason for that, but it is a boring story. The important part is that I will start publishing docs next week.
    I am pretty sure that you can learn the basics of GameFlow in a few hours just by opening and studying the example scenes included in the package. These examples were made quite simple on purpose. Yes, I know having docs (and tutorials!) would be better and I am doing my best to solve that part asap. Meanwhile, please give an opportunity to those examples and rely on the community (Facebook or Discord) and my support (email, please!) for help.

Gregorik likes this.
  38. evasiongames

evasiongames

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    chiapet1021 likes this.
  39. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I know ECS is very much in flux right now, but are there plans to evolve GameFlow to accommodate that programming paradigm? I can grasp the high level concepts of ECS all right, but coding the "systems" part is rather daunting for my meager programming skills.

40. evasiongames

evasiongames

No plans regarding ECS.

41. evasiongames

evasiongames

42. RendCycle

RendCycle

I'm still new to GameFlow and trying to learn how it works. To those searching for video tutorials on GameFlow, I found some here by Dani Moreno (currently has 13 videos). It is in Spanish though and I think only the first one has English subtitle. I haven't fully gone over the others yet. If someone knows Spanish and has extra time on their hands, would appreciate if you can contribute an English subtitle to a video. :p

Episode #01:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Weblox likes this.
  43. Danimoreno3d

Danimoreno3d

Thank you for sharing this video
    If you need to ask me a question about the flow of the game, you can also go through Twitch to see the project I'm doing with Gameflow and ask me anything, my English is very bad, but I'll try to answer it as best as I can

RendCycle likes this.
  44. RendCycle

RendCycle

I should be the one thanking you Dani! Again, muchas gracias for taking the time to create all those valuable video tutorials! Will watch the tutorials first and search your Twitch afterwards. Excelente trabajo!!! :)

evasiongames likes this.
  45. evasiongames

evasiongames

GameFlow v1.1.1 now available on the Asset Store.

This is an important hotfix for an issue with Unity 2018.2 that I could not detect on time because I was rushed to have v1.1 on time for the Humble Bundle.

My apologies for the inconveniences and also for the delay with docs and tutorials. From now on I hope I can focus on that as promised. Please take a look at the issues planned for the v1.2 milestone for more information.

Release notes for the latest versions:
    https://evasiongames.com/gameflow/releases/v1.1.1
    https://evasiongames.com/gameflow/releases/v1.1

Thomas-Pasieka, Weblox and RendCycle like this.
  46. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Just bought GameFlow. So far Love it!! Use to use Blocks but I think this is faster. I can't seem to find your tutorial... the links don't work either. Would love to see your tutorial on the door key thing.

jonfinlay, RendCycle and evasiongames like this.
  47. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there,

It was posted on the GameFlow forum back then using an older version. Here are two screenshots which may be useful to you and others. It should pretty much explain the setup.

Thomas

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b37kab3mlrw65p/DoorMechanic_E.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x58y70p407kqsbn/DoorMechanic_P.jpg?dl=0

48. megmaltese

megmaltese

Hi, it's so strange that this tool has got so little advertising and doesn't even have an official thread...
    However, I have a question: I would like to create a tool with GF and then sell this tool on the Asset Store, is it possible to do that without including or having GF?
    I mean, can it compile the code somehow so that it becomes independent and work inside the Unity Editor?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  49. evasiongames

evasiongames

The many mysteries of GameFlow... :D
    No. For Editor tools you also need to have GameFlow in your Unity project. Can I ask you if you plan to make use of the Utilities or Macros features?
    No. GameFlow is precompiled as a whole system; no code is generated. Anyway that is a frequently requested feature and it is definitely on my radar.

50. megmaltese

megmaltese

I want to make a dungeon generator... I see there are many on the Asset Store, but they are all pretty basic and not very elastic.
    I would like to make something better, but I don't want to learn syntax of any programming language. I programmed in the past but I am fed with all these languages, each with its syntax. I only want to go visual.
    So, the solution would be to make a build of the thing I guess... but in this case I don't know if Unity would allow it on the Asset Store... maybe, if the result is something compatible with Unity?