Search Unity

Interested in making DayZ/Ark style 2D Game for school summer project, any tutorials?

Discussion in '2D' started by Nasgarth, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Nasgarth

Nasgarth

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about making something like this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bistudio.minidayz&hl=en || https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mini-dayz-survival-game/id1141343378?mt=8 )

I have about 3 weeks to make something for school to turn in for Summer work and I was thinking of just doing a Deep Learning project, but I have been working on AI/ML non stop for the past few months and kind of want a break.

I’m pretty decent I would say with C# and my friend said he would help me with art.

and who knows if it works out maybe it can be something he and I can work on for the next two years while we finish school. In these 3 weeks we will be working on it for 12-16 hours a day, starting out just learning the engine.

2. Nasgarth

Nasgarth

If anyone could please respond, it would mean a great deal.

3. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Do you have any experience making games? If not, that game is a very tall order for 3 weeks. Maybe provide some more information about the scope you're looking at? 2D maps, inventory management, combat, AI, crafting, etc. just isn't going to happen in 3 weeks if you've never done it before.

4. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

5. Nasgarth

Nasgarth

I showed this to my friend and we both agree. I personally don't have experience making games, he actually does however. He is working on a game called BulletVille at the moment. He's able to provide some feedback here and there, but I was hoping to approach this like I approach most hackathons. I think I'll aim for basic mechanics such as implementing a map, basic physics, basic inventory management, basic combat, no advanced AI, just basic crafting. That is 6 things, splitting it into 3 weeks, I can try for simple functionality based off of the tutorial that @jeffreyschoch shared with me to start.

The only thing I am unsure of is the rendering of buildings. I am assuming there is a trigger for when a player collides with a building object, which causes the external building to be de-rendered(made transparent) and then they render in another sprite, which is the interior building, and any other dynamically casted objects thrown into the world as loot.

6. Nasgarth

Nasgarth

By the way, thank you so much for getting back to me! :)

Dave-Carlile likes this.