Search Unity

Interactive Website with unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrongEr, Feb 16, 2011.

1. StrongEr

StrongEr

So this is just an idea. Is it possible to make interactive Websites with unity? I think it would bee cool if you can walk on the page like a top down shooter an click on the categories. I thin that all should be webplayer based, right? So can I make the Webplayer "Full-screen" (in the browser)?

2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Yeah you can do it, easily too.

Should you do it for a full website? Hell no. Not everyone is on a machine they can install the Unity player on. Libraries, Cafe's, Schools, Workplaces. You'd be limiting most of your visitors unless you did two versions, but then one would suffer over the other, one would be updated more than the other.

As a bit of fun or a tech demo or just something to add on to a proper website, it's fine, but not as a proper site. People used to do that with all Flash based websites early on, you don't see those much these days when the number of cons became apparent.

3. aoakenfo

aoakenfo

Terrible idea. People want to access information fast, have it cleanly presented and conformed to standards.

As an alternative idea, perhaps you should try some sort of data visualization: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization
    But even then, you'll find yourself wanting to make a lot of graphs/custom views, so Processing (or OpenFrameworks, Cinder, etc) would be more appropriate.

4. xXToastyXx

xXToastyXx

5. Laserbeak43

Laserbeak43

that's a great idea. not for everyone, but people would love it. not everyone wants their info the same way. and not every website is simply for getting information.

andy-jepkes likes this.
  6. S3dition

S3dition

A much smarter idea would be to make the website in the usual html/css format, and use unity only for specific tools. For example, if you want people to be able to see what your rims will look like on their car, you could set that up in unity and give them the option to download the web player.

But no, you should never use Unity for your entire website.

They did that back when Dial-up was still pervasive. It was hell waiting for all the flash assets to load. Of course it meant that companies had a "flash" and "non-flash" version, which in turn meant that they had to pay twice as much to update their website. It was just a poor choice to let flash take off as much as it did.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  7. GMM

GMM

Unity is very bad for these kinds of things, mostly because of the install the web player needs, it's too big of an obstacle for many people(WebGL will make this much more interesting though).

Unless you simply cannot achieve the desired effect using some more common Web libraries, then fall back to Unity.

8. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I definitely plan to try this using WebGL at some point. I think the concept is perfect for certain sections of some websites.

9. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Guys, please stop replying to ancient threads.