Search Unity

Interactive Tutorials Refuse to load

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by trevorlane, Feb 18, 2019.

1. trevorlane

trevorlane

I am currently using 2018.2.6f1 Personal version. This version number is a requirement due to forced infrastructure

This has been tested on two machines, both with the exact same results after each test.

Initially after clicking Download->Start in the Unity Hub for any one of the tutorials (Part 01 was tested first) The project will load, but there is immediately an error shown at the bottom of the editor that states:
    "Assets/Content/tutorials/Editor/TutorialWindowMenuItem.cs(9,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TutorialWindow' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

Going into the script in question, it shows that there is an error on the "Using Unity.InteractiveTutorials;" line

At this point after some Googling I began trying a number of possibilities:

1) Closed and reopened the tutorial: FAIL
    2) Reset the packages via Help->Reset packages to default: This caused a ton of missing namespace errors, including 9 missing InteractiveTutorials namespace references and one to IPlayerAvatar (So...FAIL)
    3) Deleted the .unitypackage file from C:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies, then redownloaded the Tutorial: FAIL
    4) Uninstalled/Reinstalled Unity completely: FAIL

If anyone has a suggestion, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

adnanzmn97 likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There are plenty of tutorials accessible from the Learn section (click the Learn button at the top of the page). You should also only run tutorials using the Unity version the tutorial was written for. You can install multiple Unity versions on the same machine, either using Unity Hub, or just manually choosing a different install folder.

(I don't actually use Unity Hub for installs or to get tutorials, as it didn't even exist when I was learning Unity, but installing tutorials in this manner I know is not actually necessary)

3. trevorlane

trevorlane

Thanks Joe. I have indeed looked into the other tutorials and they are fine. I was more looking for the interactive tutorials to direct others to use. But if I cannot test them, i don't want to make that recommendation. I am under the impression that the interactive tutorials are intended to work on any version of Unity 2017.3 and newer. I have some friends testing it out on their machines as well and they are using some other versions (but also 2017.3+).

It seems to me that the Tutorials simply are missing the InteractiveTutorials library.

Adam44Mag likes this.
  4. coderic

coderic

I have some similar problems with the first unity interactial tutorial. In my case visual studio can't find the namespace Unity (Unity.InteractialTutorial).

F360 likes this.
  5. F360

F360

same same, if this is for absolut beginners, Unity is frustrating its potential costumers from the very first step. Come on!

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity 2018.1 is the release that the tutorials have been tested on. You can download older releases from the link below.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Alternatively you can just skip the Interactive Tutorials. There is nothing in them that isn't covered by the other tutorials.

Upgrading to new releases of a game engine will always have the potential to break projects made with old releases. It's simply the nature of the beast and it's one that is not restricted to just Unity. Every game engine on the market has this limitation.

Incidentally it's why most professionals don't upgrade mid-project unless there is a very compelling reason (eg features or bug fixes you can't live without).

7. mykland

mykland

I am getting the same errors, but on Ubuntu Linux with version 2017.3.0b1 Personal, which should generally be a stable release, but as I understand, is the first release of the standard downloader and installer for Linux, is my understanding, so maybe the problems I'm having involve this.

8. mykland

mykland

Assets/Content/game/Scripts/ActivateEnemySwitch.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Unity' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Yeah, this directory tree looks entirely wrong. There is an Assets subdirectory below the project, but no Content directory below that. The directory structure of the example looks entirely different from what to code is looking for.

9. AshtinLester

AshtinLester

Exact same problem with Assets/Content/tutorials/Editor/TutorialWindowMenuItem.cs(9,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TutorialWindow' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference? the thing is I didn't get anything from this that will fix it though. I would like unity to come and fix this problem upright so it would be easier :(

10. AshtinLester

AshtinLester

Either way I'm just going to use youtube for tutorials XD

11. AdamOumlaz

AdamOumlaz

yo guys same i have the same error, someone pls tell us how to fix that

12. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I've been using Unity on Ubuntu since last year with no problems, I just haven't successfully made anything yet despite having a ton of tutorial projects on the go.