Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Interactive Tutorials feedback thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Sep 7, 2017.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

We are just wrapping on a new exploratory period with an educational studio making a set of tutorials and still aiming to release the tools as mentioned above in the next couple of months now I hope. New content will likely use the Game Kit content you've seen the Education team release this year, and then once we ship the tools, you'll be able to make your own.

2. LootHunter

LootHunter

Hello. I've already learned Unity from older tutorials, but just for kicks I decided to go through those new basic ones. I think it's very cool idea. Especially for those who don't have any experience at all.

However, if you really aim at such people you should have put in Tutorial #3 instruction - how exactly to enter values for components. Like:
    "Click on parameter value and type it on keyboard or click on parameter name and drag mouse left and right to decrease or increase value."

3. ChihSiang

ChihSiang

Hi, not sure what I am missing, running Unity 5.5.0f3 on Windows 7 and I can't see the Learn Tab in the Unity Hub. I can only see Projects tab follow by Getting Started tab.

Attached Files:

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not sure it was already available in Unity 5.5.

5. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

These are only available from Unity 2017 onwards.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the info. :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

The interactive tutorials do not seem to cover very much, and are very slow to load. I was able to eat lunch faster than Tutorial 2 loaded. Tutorial 3 and 4 do not load successfully. A bunch of errors such as the following. It seems like the tutorials themselves are a new thing. Is there a "traditional" way of learning Unity, that is less cumbersome and buggy than these interactive tutorials?

C:/Users/xxx/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.2.15/Editor/Collab/CollabHistoryWindow.cs(20,56): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.Collaboration.ICollabHistoryWindow' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
  8. phranckey

phranckey

The Tutorials won't load. I'll click on start and it will start Unity but there's no tutorial. It's really frustrating. Does anybody have any advice on how to properly load the tutorials?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

What version of Unity?

10. Develop0815

Develop0815

same Problem for me: the tutorials won't work.
    I have downloaded and installed Unity2018.3.of2 Personal on my win7 (SP1) PC and the tutorial #1 and #2 will domload, but no Tutorial shows up in the Editor

PeterDrake likes this.
  11. unity_LAgxpsDP1xikxg

unity_LAgxpsDP1xikxg

I don't know if this is the correct place to report it but when adjusting the speed to 1 for "zombie" in "03 : Tweaking Components - Values vs Zombies" the tutorial doesn't progress. Same in "04 : Prefab power - Ramping up" when adjusting the location of the Pushable box
    Unity 2018.3.0f2 Personal
    Windows 10 1803

Thyamath likes this.
  12. Thyamath

Thyamath

I have the same issue, I think. When I complete the speed field, with 1 which I think is the correct value, nothing happen. in 4 When I change the value of x the box move and the tutorial go forward, but when I complete Y the box move but not the tutorial.I thought it migh be because the 2.5 change to 2,5 when I hit Enter.

In fact, I think there should be a button to go forward with the tutorial, even if it don't detect the success...

13. PeterDrake

PeterDrake

I got even less far. When I start the tutorial (Unity 2018.3.0f2), it launches Unity. I can even dig into Assets | Content | tutorials | t05 and open to5-scene (although I can't imagine "dig through the Assets folder" was the intended way to get at the tutorial). At this point, though, I'm stuck: there's no "tutorials panel" as described at https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/interactive-tutorials/play-edit-mode.

For whatever it's worth, this error (along with many warnings) appears in the console:

Assets/Content/game/PostProcessing/Editor/PropertyDrawers/MinDrawer.cs(6,34): error CS0104: 'MinAttribute' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.PostProcessing.MinAttribute' and 'UnityEngine.MinAttribute'

14. egg_citizen

egg_citizen

I had the same problems... but with trying our different values, found the values that now seem to work... not too happy about that though, but come back to that in a minute :p.

For the zombies, set speed to 10 and the tutorial proceeds... the level is still very doable that way... but the zombie does still move rather quick :) (so be careful ;) )

For the box in 04. Well, I can give you the values, but the level will be unplayable:
    X: -2 (like the tutorial states)
    Y: 25
    Z: 100

The tutorial will continue after setting those values, yet, when you start the game, you can't finish it and can't stop playing the game (not because it's so much fun, but because the stop/play button is disabled)... of course, you can still click the return/home button to return to the start.

So in short... most of the values that don't go right, read a "." in there value and think, ow, that's nothing, lets skip that... so then the value becomes 10 times as much :|
    But atleast now you know :)

unity_LAgxpsDP1xikxg likes this.
  15. unity_LAgxpsDP1xikxg

unity_LAgxpsDP1xikxg

lesson 3 speed 10 works for me indeed.

In lesson 4 setting the values X:-2 Y:25 Z:100 does indeed make you able to progress the tutorial only it makes the PushableBox which u need to block the laser fall of the environment into the void so you can't end the tutorial.

16. giant_lindsay

giant_lindsay

Just checking in here, been super excited for the interactive tutorial authoring tools to be released for many months now. Any ETA on this? Amazing to hear that Unity is looking to release this to us, I feared it would be all kept hidden from us :)

17. blazijau

blazijau

Hey, I'm new to unity and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because I get tons of errors when i start the "01: play & edit mode" interactive tutorial error.PNG

18. Chiefmastoras1

Chiefmastoras1

I have the same problem! Any ideas? I am using 2018.2.18f1

19. Chiefmastoras1

Chiefmastoras1

There seems to be a problem with the versions. I downloaded the last 2017 version (2017.4.18f1) and the Basic Interactive Tutorials work!

I am wondering if other features malfunction in the latest versions.

20. blazijau

blazijau

yes, changing to an older version fixed the problem for me too!

Chiefmastoras1 likes this.
  21. AppleSnap

AppleSnap

Bug found on Tutorial 03 and 04

Hello,

on the two Tutorials "03 - Tweaking Components" and "04 - Prefab Power" are bugs.
    The values sometines dictated by the tutorial window are not correct.

When it says enter 2.5, only 25 works.
    When it says enter z position 10, only 100 works.

That way the box in the tutorial spawns at a wrong place and the tutorial is not able to be finished.

An example of this can be seen in the screenshot below. 250 for y should not be allowed, but is anyway.

Seen on Windows 10 Pro.

Hope this helps,
    greetings

upload_2019-1-21_14-44-0.png

22. ohyeahunity

ohyeahunity

I can't get passed the 2nd tutorial step 3. It says to "enter play mode" and "move to the green triangle" but it doesn't seem to register that I've done that.

The "next" button stays disabled.

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
    Intel® Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4
    GeForce 940M/PCIe/SSE2

Screenshot from 2019-02-16 01-01-53.png

23. yunod

yunod

is that mean "interactive tutorials" by users?
    Which save process like microsoft office macros, AutoHotkey or Windows StepRecorder on the backgorund while user developing the game. No interference during record, no GB of data because of screen capturing. When user finished an txt output (probably less than a 10MB) will be opened in an editor which user adds condition, text/voice instruction, remove unnecessary steps???

I am really fun of that idea.

24. manikpg

manikpg

Hi, so to be clear, these don't work on the latest version of Unity 2018.3.f1 I just downloaded? My issue is that the project (tutorial)loads but there is no Tutorial panel or guides. HOw is this interactive? Help!

25. io-games

io-games

It seems no progress from Unity :(

26. mariagraciatech

mariagraciatech

Great Tutorials.

27. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

hi there, you're correct we haven't been able to push this forward as much as we had hoped unfortunately. The team now working on it is focused on building interactive walkthroughs with the tools, and they've advanced a little. They now have designers able to focus on the toolset so i'm hoping it gets moved forward once more. This isn't something I work on directly any longer unfortunately but i'll be asking those involved to revisit this forum thread.

28. LootHunter

LootHunter

The very first Cinemachine tutorial video says that I should download assets using the link below. But there is no link below. I mean, I sure can find it in Asset Store, but you should really put a link to that asset below the video.

29. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Is this being worked on?

30. io-games

io-games

I do not think so.
    No news for year. Rip.