Search Unity

Interactive Tutorials feedback thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Sep 7, 2017.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hello!

So today we are thrilled to launch something to help newcomers to our community get a grounding in Unity concepts and our editor interface. We have a lot in the pipe for more experienced users - tutorials, starter kits and more, but this is to help those who are coming to Unity for the very first time, and may well find it daunting, as I imagine many of you existing users did.

We wanted to build a tool that would guide you (no, not in a Clippy way ;) ) through using the interface and help you experience some of the Unity workflow before you dive into larger tutorials. We know that for many, you like to read tutorials, and you also find it jarring to jump between the editor, and a video or article.

To this end, we created the Interactive Tutorial system - a new 'Tutorial' panel in the editor which instructs and responds to your actions, and a set of 4 introductory lessons to guide you through on-boarding into Unity.

This is just the start of what we will do with this new system, future plans are both around -

- creating more lessons, building up a library of fun stuff you can learn in the editor.
    - opening up the system to the community to make their own lessons too

Let us know what you think of the system, the content and anything you'd like to see done with it in future.

Thanks as always for being here,

Will

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Looks interesting!

In the video, you said "Unity HUB". Yet the window title is just "Unity" (in what I thought is called the Unity Launcher). Do you think it makes sense to rename the window to "Unity HUB", hopefully making it easier to differentiate between Unity and Unity HUB.

3. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Peter, we're future proofing actually. The current 'launcher' will soon become the Unity hub, be a standalone application and have more features. So we have started referring to it this way in general as launcher was only ever an assumed term. Thanks for checking!

4. Metron

Metron

AUF...

5. Mikilo

Mikilo

Very interesting for Asset Store publishers or Unity itself.

But is there an API for publishers?
    I gave it a try to the first tutorial, it was funny and easy.

One little problem, if mouse clicks were intercepted, keyboard shortcuts were not.
    At this point, I'm not even sure if it is a bug.

gameDevMode and Hotshot10101 like this.
  6. vpinto

vpinto

I am a college professor teaching unity to beginners, and this seems like both a fantastic tool to use for teaching, and potentially higher level learning!

Can't wait for the tools!

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. AFrisby

AFrisby

We do a bunch of teaching users to use Unity as part of our little MMO project (see my sig.), I would *love* to be able to expand this to make our own suite of tutorials for our users. Will the creator tools for this be launching with 2017.2?

richardboegli and Hotshot10101 like this.
  8. Hotshot10101

Hotshot10101

As an asset developer I would like to add my voice to others supporting the ability for asset developers to make tutorials to help our users learn how to use our assets.

gameDevMode, richardboegli and Tinjaw like this.
  9. JamesGartland

JamesGartland

Will we be able to edit these or create our own? I teach Unity to kids of varying ages it would be great if our instructors could make these more or less difficult depending on the students

richardboegli likes this.
  10. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Pitching in as an UAS publisher. Would love to use this for my visual scripting asset Bolt. Is there an experimental API build available somewhere already?

rahuxx and Tinjaw like this.
  11. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Did not yet grab to see how this works under the hood, but +1 to making it easy for us publishers to create tutorials too if it is not yet.

Tinjaw likes this.
  12. richardboegli

richardboegli

Agreed. It'd be great to be able to make our own tutorials and put them on the asset store

13. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We hear you loud and clear about access to the tools themselves. We definitely plan to do this, right now we have shipped with the tools themselves wrapped in a DLL and we plan to continue to ship from the Hub that way, but we also want to put the tools separately onto asset store and most likely github too.

Will report back when we are able to get this done, thanks for the interest so far, any and all feedback welcome, keep it comin!

Will

14. MikeGrist

MikeGrist

Seems like a great concept. Will this also be available as a tool for unity players, or just the editor?
    I was wondering if it could be a new way to create 'new player' tutorials more easily.
    thanks.

15. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Mike this project is all about how the Unity editor itself responds to commands- we have given a game-building context but really it's about how the editor responds to and instructs you so its not really in scope as a framework for player tutorials per se. It's likely though in future we may ship content that has aspects of what you're talking about but I wanted to make it clear its not our core focus with this, sorry to disappoint!

16. InAppDesign

InAppDesign

The basic tutorials work great, not found any issues with them, I hope you add more of these. I've only tried one of the video tutorials and I am not able to advance, I maybe missing something though? I am trying the survival shooter tutorial and the first thing the video asks me to do is save a scene in the scenes folder. There isnt a scenes folder and if I make one and then save the scene a message comes up saying "The scene needs to be saved inside the assets folder of your project" my scenes folder is in the assets folder.

17. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Survival shooter. When it asks you to make a folder to save the scene in, its just for organisation's sake. However you're telling me that you have made a folder then cannot save to it, which tells me you have gone and made that folder outside of the Assets folder, which means you can't have made the folder in Unity.

In Unity, go to the Project folder, and click the Create button, then choose 'Folder' and make a new folder there, calling it 'Scenes', then you can save your scene into that. However, as I mentioned its just for organisation, you can save your scene anywhere in the Assets folder you like, so long as you remember where it is! you can always search the project panel for it later even if you do lose track of it or any other asset. Hope this helps!

18. InAppDesign

InAppDesign

Thanks for your response, I got around it by starting a new project and adding the survival shooter asset pack then launching the project, this allows me to save a new scene to the scenes folder. What I was doing before was going to the tutorials and selecting "start" next to the tutorial name after it downloaded the files, this wouldn't allow me to save a new scene and I have attached a screen capture to show you exactly what I did to replicate that error.

Link to screen cap:

19. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Hello,

This is incredibly exciting news for a hobbyist such as myself. I have always learned best through hands-on experience and these tutorials look amazing! This is exactly the type of tutorial that I find the most effective for me. Thank you so much to the Unity Team for offering so much wonderful educational content to learn the engine and help make scripting and other complex aspects of game development a little bit less daunting for those such as myself who don't come from a programming background and are just starting to learning Unity and game development.

I have several questions about this incredible new way to learn.

1. Are the future interactive tutorials made by Unity something that would be free for each Unity license (Unity Personal, Pro, Plus) or will there be paid lessons that you pay one flat price to "buy" the tutorial and have unlimited access to that tutorial more akin to Udemy as opposed to a subscription service system such as Lynda.com?

2. Are there any plans to offer Unity Interactive Courses that are essentially an interactive version of courseware that is found on educational websites/colleges? Perhaps the courses could be set-up in different difficulty levels such as beginner, intermediate, and expert?

Some suggestions as well.

1. Perhaps this could also be used to partner with colleges for them to create interactive content/courseware for Unity.

2. Perhaps there down the line could be a way to browse and rate the interactive courses published by the community.

3. This would be an incredible resource to create more learning resources catered towards kinesthetic learners such as this
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38910. Would love to see more learning resources that are better suited towards kinesthetic learners.

4. Have you considered using this to create interactive tutorials for content concerning other areas of the Unity game engine such as scripting, animation, graphics, physics, etc lessons? I can see this being used to create some excellent interactive scripting tutorials.

Lastly, I just wanted to thank the Unity Team for their continued investment in the learning materials for the Unity Game Engine. In addition, thank you so much for creating this learning resources which will benefit kinesthetic learners greatly. I am extremely excited for future interactive tutorials. I greatly appreciate it as a hobbyist and beginner to a field that can be extremely overwhelming and daunting.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks for your screen capture. We are investigating. For further issues with the survival shooter thread, can you please post in that relevant thread?

Thanks again for spotting and recording that.

21. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

UnityFan: thanks for the feedback. All of your suggestions are sound.

There are a number of initiatives afoot about education and learning.

We can't really comment on them any more than we could about these in editor tutorials until they come to fruition, if at all.

The most I can say is that we are committed to teaching Unity to as broad an audience as possible and we want to keep it as free and unfettered as possible. There's no point in downloading software you can't use, no matter how powerful it is.

I'm glad you found these helpful.

22. twilightZone

twilightZone

Hello,
    I am a pretty good developper but I am a beginner in Unity. Those interactive tutorials are very well made and very interesting. But to learn Unity you have to create hundreds of these tutorials.
    Is it a good idea to look at the scripts in Content > game > Scripts for a beginner ??
    Is it possible, for each lesson, to have the little snippet without the interactives screens.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  23. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

I was also wondering if it is possible to review the interactive tutorial on the asset store. I have already downloaded them and gone through each of the tutorials. However, I am not sure why it is not letting me leave a review for them on the asset store.

24. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi are you asking if we can provide the scenes without the tutorial mode so you can look at the simple interactions? Yes, though we have a lot more content with this in mind incoming :)

@UnityFan18 not sure its probably just in a review queue though! Thanks!

25. twilightZone

twilightZone

Very good news
    Thanks a lot

26. SIC-ITUR-AD-ASTRA

SIC-ITUR-AD-ASTRA

Hi, the tutorials are not working for me and I'm receiving an error in the console.
    I'm running a fresh install of Unity on MacOS...

Attached Files:

unity_AFaHD0e-_-w2Pg likes this.
  27. mav1984

mav1984

How to get started tutorial? Nothing happens

28. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hi mav1984,

From your video it looks like you are running Unity version 2017.1.1f1 - Interactive tutorials are only supported in 2017.2 and upwards (currently available as a beta release). When you download any version of 2017.2 (though obviously the newest version is recommended) you'll see an additional link in the "Learn" tab called "Basic Tutorials". From there you can download and try these new tutorials. Happy learning! :)

mav1984 likes this.
  29. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hi SIC-ITUR-AD-ASTRA,

Sorry to hear about your problem! Could you provide us with some more details? What Unity Editor version are you running and on what OSX? Did you download the tutorials from the "Learn/Basic Tutorials" section in the launcher and received the error immediately upon opening them? I just tried with 2017.2.01f and on OS X 10.12.6 and everything worked fine so I'm hoping with more details we can narrow it down :)

30. tazforky

tazforky

I am hitting the same problem as SIC-ITUR-AD-ASTRA. I saw about Unity's new Interactive Tutorials and was directed to the latest beta download. Latest beta points to 2017.3.0b4 for MacOSX, and I have 10.12.6 OSX.

The install is fine, when you download, then start the 1st interactive tutorial you get a dialog like below:

This project contains scripts and/or assemblies that use obsolete APIs.

If you choose 'Go Ahead', Unity will automatically upgrade any scripts/assemblies in the Assets folder found using the old APIs. You should make a backup before proceeding.

(You can always run the API Updater manually via the 'Assets/Run API Updater' menu command.)

If you accept the go ahead and update scripts, unity loads, no tutorial is available and 999+ errors are in the console. Collapsing the errors it has the following ones:

Editor: Metal support disabled, skipping device initialization

There are 50000+ of these and growing:
    MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement.get_parent'.

The details for one shows this for example:
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialWindow.ApplyMaskingSettings (Boolean applyMask) (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Editor Windows/TutorialWindow.cs:628)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialWindow.OnTutorialPageCriteriaCompletionStateTested (Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialPage sender) (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Editor Windows/TutorialWindow.cs:162)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialPage.ValidateCriteria () (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Models/TutorialPage.cs:334)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialPage.SetupCompletionRequirements () (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Models/TutorialPage.cs:227)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialPage.Initiate () (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Models/TutorialPage.cs:199)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialWindow.SetUpTutorial () (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Editor Windows/TutorialWindow.cs:334)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialWindow.OnEnable () (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Editor Windows/TutorialWindow.cs:129)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow()
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.TutorialWindow:CreateWindow() (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/Editor Windows/TutorialWindow.cs:18)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.UserStartupCode:RunStartupCode() (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/UserStartupCode.cs:15)
    Unity.InteractiveTutorials.UserStartupCode:InitRunStartupCode() (at Assets/Plugins/Interactive Tutorials/Editor/UserStartupCode.cs:43)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

I should also mention that Unity->About, Unity->Preferences, Unity->Modules all do nothing when I think they are supposed to popup dialog boxes.

I then exited Unity and started it from terminal with:
    /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -force-metal

This leads to a different error dialog on startup:
    Failed to load window layout
    This can happen if layout contains custom windows and there are compile errors in the project.

I click the default of restore default layout and once unity editor starts now the console is just full of the get.parent errors like before. At least the Metal Support Disable one is gone.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  31. mhnj7

mhnj7

I just installed latest beta and having same exact issues tazforky described. I'm running on Windows 10. I did previously have latest stable version of Unity but removed it before installing the beta...not sure if that has something to do with it.

32. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Thanks for providing the extra information everyone! I've found the bug in our database - we're aware of it and it should be fixed soon! The tutorials work fine on 2017.2 so if you'd really like to try them for yourselves it just came out of beta today! ;)

33. mepi_pl

mepi_pl

2017.3 Installed and Interactive Tutorials seems not to be working: see screencast

34. tazforky

tazforky

Thanks JacekPapaPolski. I can confirm that 2017.2.0f3 is now available online as of today. I removed the old install, installed the new one, and am able to run the interactive tutorial and start unity correctly.

35. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

@willgoldstone Feedback: A 2017.2 , 2017.3 , 2017.4 , ... Tutorials can be useful for including all the new features of that version (What's included in that release). Each new release of Unity has many new existing features, improvements and changes. This Interactive Tutorial Course can be used as a complete guide for advanced users to all of the main new or updated features of the current release. Also, the screenshot can be handy for documentation.

UnityFan18 likes this.
  36. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

I think this a fantastic idea! I would love to see the interactive tutorial be also used to showcase the new main features in each new Unity Release.

37. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Unity is growing fast and there is a lot of content. My fear is that Unity can grow much faster and release a lot of content, more than what we can handle to learn as India developers while we are making the game. For example, Just following the new realising of the asset in the asset store is hard.

@Adam-Buckner This idea of Version Updates Interactive Tutorials can be a big time saver for the community because we, users, can copy and paste this new game objects, components, settings, prefabs and finally modify for the purpose, without the need of looking around how to achieve and make it work in our game. If a live session is also combined with this asset interactive tutorial then we are sure that we are not missing anything and we can follow this Unity exponential growing speed.

38. unity_gmgdmihvguZBsg

unity_gmgdmihvguZBsg

Can you give us some update on the DB fix you mentioned for version 2017.3 please? How soon will it be available? :)

39. WalterPalladino

WalterPalladino

Hi Guys, I'm trying to download : Interactive Tutorial 1: Play & Edit Mode from the editor but I hit and hit an the Download button ignores me :(
    Please HELP!!!

40. androshchuk-vladyslav

androshchuk-vladyslav

Guys it is awesome! I waiting this so long. I am creating lessons for children based on Unity and this will be awful boost for interacting with Unity! I can highlight lesson tasks and add helps and tips on unity, wow. If you have some beta of tools, please let me know! Thanks!

41. geolee

geolee

Can't wait for this tool, Is there a beta version to try?

42. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

would be nice to have a lighting interactive tutorial for indoor only scene, outdoor only scene, and a mixed indoor/outdoor scene.

43. Numbat17

Numbat17

They were really fun and easy, I wish I had them when I started learning Unity last month! Can't wait for some more advanced tutorials in this style. Thanks!

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice initiative! Playful and educational, well done! Thank you! :thumbup: :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
  45. Joel-Trubek

Joel-Trubek

I have to say that when I first heard of it, it sounded really cool and with a lot of potential. I thought about the exact same thing (interactive tutorials could be the future). As a Unity teacher that could be a great tool for me.

I do find some things that can improve the experience from my point of view (I don't know if you are planning to implement that or already did):
    1. Focus on voice instructions instead of text
    2. The tutorial window doesn't have to be there -> maybe it can be optional as backup (but as I see the ultimate experience it doesn't require that at all).
    3. The need to click on the Next button isn't necessary (from the UX perspective the focus is too much on the tutorial window than on Unity itself.
    4. As addition I would like to suggest to let the user (if possible) to "watch" like in a normal video -> but one that plays in the unity editor the current step. What I mean by that is to see mouse movement and the whole process inside unity and than the option to repeat that as well.
    5. Milestones - like for each step in the tutorial you could go back to and reset all the mistakes to the last step (similar to the restart button - but not from the start)
    6. I assume that's a bit of a problem to approach, but if the User could as well interact with the code is a similar way -> that would be 10/10.

Anyway, thanks for the new features and innovation! I use Unity for 8-9 years and I'm proud to teach and use Unity and spread the word around.

46. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Joel,

Yes we have indeed discussed a lot of these things, and they're all things we're interested in looking at - with the exception of actually playing video in the editor. We are forming a new team around this initiative and the former team moved to different tasks internally so expect to hear news about updates after GDC when we'll be moving ahead again, sorry for the delay everyone!

Will

47. phinneyj

phinneyj

A big problem with the interactive tutorials: There seems to be no way to download them so they can be accessed in an offline environment.

Unity supports offline installation, activation, and use, but for some reason it's not possible to use this feature without a live internet connection. This is an unnecessary limitation.

The asset store allows adding these tutorials to my assets, but doesn't support downloading them to a different computer to later import into Unity.

48. Benjamin-M

Benjamin-M

t’s Huge.
    Learning by doing things is definitely more efficient than just watching videos tutorials.
    I suggest to have access at any time to the menu of the Tutorial.
    Those interactives tutorials you have done are particularly well done and clear, in my opinion.

The way of e-learning evolve too, integration of Bot is one of them and much more better to learn quickly.
    There’s also something to do with facebook messenger Bot which will be probably more easy and quick to setup than interactive tutorials.
    I really hope all major actor of Tutorials industries like lynda, Puralsight, Courseware… will work on this way.

To have a complete formation to learn Unity from A to Z by interactive tutorials will be great !

Do you have any idea when the system will be open to the community ?

49. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi all, quick update for you.

So the current dev plan we have for interactive tutorials is centered around the following -

- Getting the authoring tool to be more versatile - covering more features
    - Making sure the authoring UX is a lot better so we can ship it to you
    - Putting the tool into a Package manager available package, likewise our existing lessons
    - Developing new lessons and adding features that solve common asks - such as saving out the state of your tutorial so you can have a 'free swim' and do what you want with it.

In addition we're working with an education studio to make a new set of interactive tutorials with us as we develop the tools, so we hope to work with them to deliver a set of new lessons for you to enjoy and learn from.

@BenjaminU I don't have a specific timeline on this yet, we're still transitioning to our new dev team for this, but I'll update this forum thread when I do.

50. io-games

io-games

Hi!
    Is there any tutorial or docs how to create same interactive tutorial?