Search Unity

1. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Interactive Tutorials feedback thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Sep 7, 2017.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hello!

So today we are thrilled to launch something to help newcomers to our community get a grounding in Unity concepts and our editor interface. We have a lot in the pipe for more experienced users - tutorials, starter kits and more, but this is to help those who are coming to Unity for the very first time, and may well find it daunting, as I imagine many of you existing users did.

We wanted to build a tool that would guide you (no, not in a Clippy way ;) ) through using the interface and help you experience some of the Unity workflow before you dive into larger tutorials. We know that for many, you like to read tutorials, and you also find it jarring to jump between the editor, and a video or article.

To this end, we created the Interactive Tutorial system - a new 'Tutorial' panel in the editor which instructs and responds to your actions, and a set of 4 introductory lessons to guide you through on-boarding into Unity.

This is just the start of what we will do with this new system, future plans are both around -

- creating more lessons, building up a library of fun stuff you can learn in the editor.
    - opening up the system to the community to make their own lessons too

Let us know what you think of the system, the content and anything you'd like to see done with it in future.

Thanks as always for being here,

Will

theANMATOR2b and Peter77 like this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

Looks interesting!

In the video, you said "Unity HUB". Yet the window title is just "Unity" (in what I thought is called the Unity Launcher). Do you think it makes sense to rename the window to "Unity HUB", hopefully making it easier to differentiate between Unity and Unity HUB.

3. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Peter, we're future proofing actually. The current 'launcher' will soon become the Unity hub, be a standalone application and have more features. So we have started referring to it this way in general as launcher was only ever an assumed term. Thanks for checking!

4. Metron

Metron

AUF...

5. Mikilo

Mikilo

Very interesting for Asset Store publishers or Unity itself.

But is there an API for publishers?
    I gave it a try to the first tutorial, it was funny and easy.

One little problem, if mouse clicks were intercepted, keyboard shortcuts were not.
    At this point, I'm not even sure if it is a bug.

Hotshot10101 likes this.
  6. vpinto

vpinto

I am a college professor teaching unity to beginners, and this seems like both a fantastic tool to use for teaching, and potentially higher level learning!

Can't wait for the tools!

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. AFrisby

AFrisby

We do a bunch of teaching users to use Unity as part of our little MMO project (see my sig.), I would *love* to be able to expand this to make our own suite of tutorials for our users. Will the creator tools for this be launching with 2017.2?

richardboegli and Hotshot10101 like this.
  8. Hotshot10101

Hotshot10101

As an asset developer I would like to add my voice to others supporting the ability for asset developers to make tutorials to help our users learn how to use our assets.

richardboegli and Tinjaw like this.
  9. JamesGartland

JamesGartland

Will we be able to edit these or create our own? I teach Unity to kids of varying ages it would be great if our instructors could make these more or less difficult depending on the students

richardboegli likes this.
  10. ludiq

ludiq

Pitching in as an UAS publisher. Would love to use this for my visual scripting asset Bolt. Is there an experimental API build available somewhere already?

rahuxx and Tinjaw like this.
  11. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Did not yet grab to see how this works under the hood, but +1 to making it easy for us publishers to create tutorials too if it is not yet.

Tinjaw likes this.
  12. richardboegli

richardboegli

Agreed. It'd be great to be able to make our own tutorials and put them on the asset store

13. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We hear you loud and clear about access to the tools themselves. We definitely plan to do this, right now we have shipped with the tools themselves wrapped in a DLL and we plan to continue to ship from the Hub that way, but we also want to put the tools separately onto asset store and most likely github too.

Will report back when we are able to get this done, thanks for the interest so far, any and all feedback welcome, keep it comin!

Will

14. MikeGrist

MikeGrist

Seems like a great concept. Will this also be available as a tool for unity players, or just the editor?
    I was wondering if it could be a new way to create 'new player' tutorials more easily.
    thanks.

15. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Mike this project is all about how the Unity editor itself responds to commands- we have given a game-building context but really it's about how the editor responds to and instructs you so its not really in scope as a framework for player tutorials per se. It's likely though in future we may ship content that has aspects of what you're talking about but I wanted to make it clear its not our core focus with this, sorry to disappoint!

16. InAppDesign

InAppDesign

The basic tutorials work great, not found any issues with them, I hope you add more of these. I've only tried one of the video tutorials and I am not able to advance, I maybe missing something though? I am trying the survival shooter tutorial and the first thing the video asks me to do is save a scene in the scenes folder. There isnt a scenes folder and if I make one and then save the scene a message comes up saying "The scene needs to be saved inside the assets folder of your project" my scenes folder is in the assets folder.

17. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Survival shooter. When it asks you to make a folder to save the scene in, its just for organisation's sake. However you're telling me that you have made a folder then cannot save to it, which tells me you have gone and made that folder outside of the Assets folder, which means you can't have made the folder in Unity.

In Unity, go to the Project folder, and click the Create button, then choose 'Folder' and make a new folder there, calling it 'Scenes', then you can save your scene into that. However, as I mentioned its just for organisation, you can save your scene anywhere in the Assets folder you like, so long as you remember where it is! you can always search the project panel for it later even if you do lose track of it or any other asset. Hope this helps!

18. InAppDesign

InAppDesign

Thanks for your response, I got around it by starting a new project and adding the survival shooter asset pack then launching the project, this allows me to save a new scene to the scenes folder. What I was doing before was going to the tutorials and selecting "start" next to the tutorial name after it downloaded the files, this wouldn't allow me to save a new scene and I have attached a screen capture to show you exactly what I did to replicate that error.

Link to screen cap:

19. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Hello,

This is incredibly exciting news for a hobbyist such as myself. I have always learned best through hands-on experience and these tutorials look amazing! This is exactly the type of tutorial that I find the most effective for me. Thank you so much to the Unity Team for offering so much wonderful educational content to learn the engine and help make scripting and other complex aspects of game development a little bit less daunting for those such as myself who don't come from a programming background and are just starting to learning Unity and game development.

I have several questions about this incredible new way to learn.

1. Are the future interactive tutorials made by Unity something that would be free for each Unity license (Unity Personal, Pro, Plus) or will there be paid lessons that you pay one flat price to "buy" the tutorial and have unlimited access to that tutorial more akin to Udemy as opposed to a subscription service system such as Lynda.com?

2. Are there any plans to offer Unity Interactive Courses that are essentially an interactive version of courseware that is found on educational websites/colleges? Perhaps the courses could be set-up in different difficulty levels such as beginner, intermediate, and expert?

Some suggestions as well.

1. Perhaps this could also be used to partner with colleges for them to create interactive content/courseware for Unity.

2. Perhaps there down the line could be a way to browse and rate the interactive courses published by the community.

3. This would be an incredible resource to create more learning resources catered towards kinesthetic learners such as this
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38910. Would love to see more learning resources that are better suited towards kinesthetic learners.

4. Have you considered using this to create interactive tutorials for content concerning other areas of the Unity game engine such as scripting, animation, graphics, physics, etc lessons? I can see this being used to create some excellent interactive scripting tutorials.

Lastly, I just wanted to thank the Unity Team for their continued investment in the learning materials for the Unity Game Engine. In addition, thank you so much for creating this learning resources which will benefit kinesthetic learners greatly. I am extremely excited for future interactive tutorials. I greatly appreciate it as a hobbyist and beginner to a field that can be extremely overwhelming and daunting.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your screen capture. We are investigating. For further issues with the survival shooter thread, can you please post in that relevant thread?

Thanks again for spotting and recording that.

21. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Unity Technologies

UnityFan: thanks for the feedback. All of your suggestions are sound.

There are a number of initiatives afoot about education and learning.

We can't really comment on them any more than we could about these in editor tutorials until they come to fruition, if at all.

The most I can say is that we are committed to teaching Unity to as broad an audience as possible and we want to keep it as free and unfettered as possible. There's no point in downloading software you can't use, no matter how powerful it is.

I'm glad you found these helpful.

22. twilightZone

twilightZone

Hello,
    I am a pretty good developper but I am a beginner in Unity. Those interactive tutorials are very well made and very interesting. But to learn Unity you have to create hundreds of these tutorials.
    Is it a good idea to look at the scripts in Content > game > Scripts for a beginner ??
    Is it possible, for each lesson, to have the little snippet without the interactives screens.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM
  23. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

I was also wondering if it is possible to review the interactive tutorial on the asset store. I have already downloaded them and gone through each of the tutorials. However, I am not sure why it is not letting me leave a review for them on the asset store.

24. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi are you asking if we can provide the scenes without the tutorial mode so you can look at the simple interactions? Yes, though we have a lot more content with this in mind incoming :)

@UnityFan18 not sure its probably just in a review queue though! Thanks!