Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Interactive Tutorials don't work

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by fineguyes, Dec 23, 2018.

1. fineguyes

fineguyes

First interactive tutorial didnt work so I reinstalled Unity and it worked.

That was yesterday.

Today I launch Unity and again can't load interactive tutorial.

What happens is, I download it in Hub, I start it, unity takes a while to load
    Then Unity Loads, with tutorial files, but nothing is happening?

No next/back button, no tutorial basically.

Or is there a way to turn it on?

rurigosu and adnanzmn97 like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

What version of Unity?

3. fineguyes

fineguyes

2018.3.0f2

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

What tutorials can't you start? The "Getting Started" ones? You said that you managed to load one yesterday, did you save it somewhere on your computer? If yes, that's the one you must launch if you want to do it again.

5. fineguyes

fineguyes

im launching them from unity Hub.

first one was getting started yes. first it failed, after reinstall it worked

now i try to launch rolling ball, and again cant do anything.

heres the screen of unity after it loads

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Me too; I just started the first "Getting Started" tutorial; works fine for me.

It's normal that you have nothing for the Roll a Ball tutorial; there is no assets to download for this project. You must create everything using the video tutorials you'll find on the Tutorial page here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

fineguyes likes this.
  7. fineguyes

fineguyes

oh i see, so whats the downloadable tutorial for? prefabs?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

It created the project directly for you; you just have to save it wherever you want once you've started it that way.

The advantage of starting the Roll a Ball that way is that you do not have to download the "done" project, that contains everything already made. The Roll a Ball project you can find on the Assets Store contains the completed project and that can be confusing for new learners. :)

If you carry on learning the tutorials here and you want to download the projects from the Assets Store, I recommend that you deselect the "Complete" or "Done" assets before installing the project. :)

fineguyes likes this.
  9. fineguyes

fineguyes

I see, however I again cant load getting started tutorial.

What unity version usually people use? The one with long term support tag or always the newest one?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I opened it with the one you are using and it does work.

You can try the following if you have problems: delete the "Unity Essentials" folder you'll find in "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies".

If doing this fixes the problem, file a bug report from the Hub/My Account/Report a bug.

11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

It's not like playing games. You don't push an on button and everything works. You got to read the manuals. You have to pay close attention to the words. You have to search for answers. This is what makes it work.

McRain-Developer likes this.
  12. dvasilev

dvasilev

OK I'll bite.
    1. Download Unity hub
    2. Install 2017.4.24f1
    3. Read the manual. Select 'Play & Edit mode' tutorial. Click "Download". Click "Start".
    4. Unity starts and spews a pile of errors. No 'Tutorial panel' in sight.
    5. Turns out 'using Unity.InteractiveTutorials;' fails. Where's Unity.InteractiveTutorials module?
    Conclusion:
    Interactive Tutorials don't work

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

14. dmitriy-vasilev

dmitriy-vasilev

As of today (April 4, 2019) Unity tutorials work only with Unity Editor 2018.3.

Please don't try them with Unity 2017.3 or 2017.4 LTS. They don't work.

Documentation on the landing page is wrong.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's working for anyone else on that release. This thread exists specifically because someone tried them with Unity 2018.3 and they didn't work. So unless there is a direct post from the developers that they were fixed, I'm going to write it off as you just got lucky.

Either way these Interactive Tutorials need to just disappear. They're entirely too much trouble for beginners to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    MicroDose likes this.
  16. dmitriy-vasilev

dmitriy-vasilev

The point is the Interactive Tutorials did not work for me with Unity 2017.3, and the fix is to use Unity 2018.3.

Turns out current version of the tutorials relies on com.unity.learn.iet-framework@0.1.15-preview that requires Unity 2018.2 or later.

Proof: excerpt from .config/unity3d/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.learn.iet-framework@0.1.15-preview/Documentation~/com.unity.iet-framework.md

# Technical details
    ## Requirements

This version of Framework for In-Editor Tutorials is compatible with the following versions of the Unity Editor:

* 2018.2 and later (recommended)

+EDIT: package.json declares only 2018.3:
    {
    "name": "com.unity.learn.iet-framework",
    "displayName": "Interactive Tutorial Core",
    "version": "0.1.15-preview",
    "unity": "2018.3",

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    matuk0 likes this.
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

You were correct after all. I only tried out the first entry in the series, but it's clearly working on Unity 2018.3. I didn't see them mention anywhere that they had updated the tutorials, but that has to be what they did.

18. johnbanfield

johnbanfield

Hi,.
    I just installed Unity off the home page yesterday and the installer gave me 2018.2. The learn tutorials don't work for me either.
    I don't want to install 2018.3 right now as I am on mobile for internet and it's a GB. Does anyone know where I can get a 2018.2 version of the tutes?

I'm suspicious of how easy it is to live with now, if you can't even kick the tyres easily.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are hundreds of official tutorials. There is at least one major release every few months and one minor release every couple of weeks. It's just not feasible to check every tutorial every time you make a release. This isn't just a problem with Unity either. Every game engine on the market has the same problem.

Just think of it as training - how to ask for assistance, how to search for solutions, etc - because when you start making games from scratch all of these problems will be massively multiplied. Game development isn't an easy field to get into.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  20. johnbanfield

johnbanfield

I thought I was asking for assistance.

Does anyone know where I can get a 2018.2 version of the tutes?

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I was mostly referring to the problems you were having with the other tutorials, but I've looked a little deeper to see if there were release notes for these tutorials and discovered that they're stored on the Asset Store.

According to the change logs on the store pages for the asset there has only ever been two releases - the original release (Sep 6, 2017) and fixes for Unity 2018.3 and 2019.1 (Mar 13, 2019).

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...s/interactive-tutorial-1-play-edit-mode-99562
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...tive-tutorial-2-game-objects-components-99550
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...eractive-tutorial-3-tweaking-components-99563
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...cts/interactive-tutorial-4-prefab-power-99564

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  22. shahidfoy

shahidfoy

Had Unity 2018 and updated to 2019 then the tutorials stopped working. downloaded 2018 again and the Basic Tutorials worked again but none of the others are working. Should they be working in the 2019 version?

On the other tutorials Like Ruby's Adventure: 2D Beginner I am getting the default page with the assets. Maybe a link to the tutorial would be nice

I was also getting something similar to this error

https://forum.unity.com/threads/you...t-setup-of-unity-after-delete-library.392356/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  23. sahil255

sahil255

I am a beginner to unity and started learning Getting Started with Unity tutorial and I am not able to open the karting microgame because in the asset store it says I need 2018.4 but I have 2018.3. So is there any way I could use the karting microgame tutorial in 2018.3 version.

24. erussx2

erussx2

Exactly!!!!!!! Imagine how much money this company is loosing to people who cant get help in the beginning. im paying $250 a month for 2 pro licenses and no one wants to help. You have to spend 8 hours a day just to learn one easy thing. all the tutorials are outdated! They're useless.

Sargius and MicroDose like this.
  25. mattkw80

mattkw80

Unity tutorials for beginner's don't actually work, got it. Came her from Godot, my mistake, I'll go back to Godot.

branko-stankovic likes this.
  26. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

Well they do if you are using the correct version of Unity. Lots of whiners and few readers.

27. IDS

IDS

Hi,

just stumbled into this. I didn't check them all, but for example for the karting game in Unity 2019.3, create an empty project, search for micro kart in the asset store and download it, then go to the package manager and remove the packager manager ui. That fixed it for me. Tutorials are great, but a shame the instructions weren't updated (since the package itself was).

cheers
    Hans

Jess_Jaal likes this.
  28. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey there, I know you posted some time ago but it might be worth getting in touch with our Success team via the Success Hub or emailing the team at success@unity3d.com - I can't stress enough how awesome they are in helping users get the most out of their subscriptions. They can work with you to try and achieve this.

29. Spillswk

Spillswk

Yo, what do you mean by "remove the packager manager ui"? Sounds like I'm supposed to remove the thing you just had me open and that seems kinda redundant so I have to be misunderstanding something.

30. brucejs777

brucejs777

Sounds like what I need, but, I see no way to create an empty project - it always has a template. ideas on that ? [update] I tried to install fps microgame from store but install failed because it conflicted with current non-empty scene.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  31. Penly57

Penly57

I'm having a similar problem where when I click download it says that it can't find the file size, and proceeds not to download. What do I do?

32. mt_himself

mt_himself

I'm using Unity 2020.1.9 and I run tutorial (2D platformer) but It's messed up (bugged):
    error.png

33. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I recently tried to do the FPS microgame in Unity 2019 version 4.1f or something and it crashed a lot.

TerranRich likes this.
  34. TerranRich

TerranRich

We have to be human version control systems in order to manage in our heads which Unity version goes with which tutorial version and which packages need to be updated and which don't.

I tried to do the FPS Microgame in Unity. I see that the FPS Microgame in the Asset Store says it supports Unity versions "2019.4.0 or higher". Great, I have Unity 2020.1.2f1. That is "or higher". Should work, right?

I click "Open in Unity" from the Asset Store (since as of 2020.x the in-game Asset Store was nerfed), and Import (click Import, click Import, click Install/Update, click Import again) everything from the package.

When I click "Tutorials > Show Tutorials", I see this:

upload_2020-10-24_20-22-56.png

So far, so good. I click on the first tutorial, and now I see:

upload_2020-10-24_20-23-10.png

Clearly there's a problem right off the bat. Text just isn't rendering in certain spots.

Why?

ETA: Oh, this is interesting. In the top-right corner I see:

upload_2020-10-24_20-26-23.png

I see that "Interactive Tutorial Core" is at Version 0.3.0-preview.5, and it gives me the option to "Update to 1.1.0" (quite a huge version jump).

Do I update? Will that break it even more?

35. TerranRich

TerranRich

To anybody else who might stumble upon this thread like I did...

In the description for the FPS Microgame, I found this:

In your Unity Hub, you [must] have the Unity Editor 2019.4 LTS, with "WebGL Build Support" module and the "Share WebGL Game" package installed.
    So I downloaded Unity 2019.4, and the tutorials work.

Lesson learned: Don't trust what the Unity Asset Store tells you ("Supported Unity versions"), download an older version of Unity if you have to. The "or higher" is not true.

BeornSlim likes this.
  36. meimei072010

meimei072010

It says microgame not found :(