Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Interactive film in browser

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by bedipavel, Apr 23, 2021.

1. bedipavel

bedipavel

I'm trying to create an interactive movie and I want it to be playable in a web browser.
    The problem is that video files load during playback, so they usually get stuck (for a large file).
    Is it possible to somehow set in Unity to download all assets (videos) first and then start the game?

Testing interactive film is here: https://film.bedi.cc/

2. Bobbeast

Bobbeast

Swarmify.com says that they have no-latency video. I haven't used them, and I don't know if Unity's wrapper would interfere with this functionality, but I wanted to mention the option

3. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Look into scene preloaders- you would want to have at least two scenes- one that is a pre-loader then another scene that is your video file etc-

The game starts and loads the pre-loader scene which then loads the video scene using Async loading and you can set it to not play the scene until the entire video is loaded.

bedipavel likes this.
  4. Blarp

Blarp

Looks great at the moment. This actually reminds me ALOT of the old Sierra game "Phantasmagoria." Basically everything was a "video" but you interacted with it to progress the story.

Unity WebGL & Film is definitely very interesting as it is the lowest barrier to entry getting eyeballs to your content.

@marc_tanenbaum extremely random tag, but this is a very interesting thing to think about with upcoming film tools. Bringing back that Sierra Phantasmagoria game to show off simple timeline clips based on user interaction; while mainly being film-forward as you don't really have a character controller attached (if you have ever played Phantasmagoria back in the day).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    bedipavel likes this.