Search Unity

Intel's Gaming contest...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Mar 24, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Unity is multi threaded. At the moment the perfect balance on dual core would probably be having heavy physics simulation, as physics can run almost independently on another thread. Whether it actually will run on another CPU (as opposed to the threads choosing the same CPU) - I'm not sure, gotta double check.

3. taumel

taumel

Hi NeARAZ,

>>>Unity is multi threaded. At the moment the perfect balance on dual core would probably be having heavy physics simulation, as physics can run almost independently on another thread. Whether it actually will run on another CPU (as opposed to the threads choosing the same CPU) - I'm not sure, gotta double check.<<<

If it's the perfect balance i don't know as it depends on what you wanna do and how complex the different tasks are, ai vs. physics for example. But for sure it would be a not too much complicate balance as you keep things clear. How will you split when you have 4 cores then?

By the way is osx symetric multiprocessing?

Regards,

taumel

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

At the moment most of Unity runtime runs in a single thread (except for a couple of non-CPU-intensive threads, e.g. audio streaming). Physics run in another thread(s).

Of course, you are free to create additional threads yourself and do any heavy tasks there - but then you're on your own.

5. taumel

taumel

Hi NeARAZ,

where you able to check if physics are already running on another core?

Regards,

taumel