Search Unity

Intellisense

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AlbertoT, Apr 3, 2009.

1. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Hello

Will an intellisense system be implemented in the next releases ?

2. CogCode

CogCode

This doesn't answer your question about when, as that's for the Unity dev team to answer.

However, I am currently and successfully using MonoDevelop as my Unity script editor on the Mac and have set up VisualStudio as my Unity script editor on my Windows box.

In both cases, I only needed to include references to the Unity engine assembly, and voila! Instant code completion for my Unity scripts.

3. tewe76

tewe76

CogCode, that's only for C#, isn't it? Or you can also use JavaScript?

4. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Unity isn't a code editor, so I'd say never. What could happen is that at some point a really groovy cross-platform code editor comes along (yes, some day MonoDevelop might even be useful) and unity could add some extra integration with that.

5. CogCode

CogCode

Sorry, I assumed that since you used the term "intellisense" (Microsoft's implementation of auto-completion) that you mostly cared about C#.

I haven't seen anything in MonoDevelop that would indicate any sort of JavaScript support exists, but VS 2008 does have JavaScript editing with Intellisense.

Unfortunately, I don't think that Visual Studio's JavaScript Intellisense is set up for referencing .NET assemblies, making it not quite as useful for Unity work. That, and the fact that Unity's JavaScript-like language isn't true JavaScript, so Microsoft's editor wouldn't be quite in sync with what Unity expects.

6. CogCode

CogCode

I'm curious to read any criticisms you might have of MonoDevelop.

So far, it has been a good tool for me, but if there is some problem I should watch out for, that knowledge could be helpful. Keep in mind that I'm just using MonoDevelop as a code (script) editor, so I'm not overly concerned with deeper issues like compiler integration, etc.

Thanks in advance.

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Last I tried it, it just came across as unstable as hell - hearing some chatter like that still, but it seems to generally have improved in that respect. I'm still clinging to TextMate till I get word MonoDevelop is efficient to use.

8. CogCode

CogCode

Hmm. I'm using the new 2.0 release, so maybe it has improved. :?:

9. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Just in the last couple days a small update to the Mac OS X MonoDevelop 2.0 beta was released, but I didn't notice any improvements. (no crashes in the 2 minutes I used it, so maybe that's better.)

It's pretty bad. I click on my code and it thinks I clicked 2-5 characters to the left. So you ALWAYS have to then resort to tapping the arrow keys to make any changes to your code. (It seems to never know the dimensions of its own window, fullscreen or not)

The response of the text editor is pretty horrible as well. Sometimes you scroll and huge blocks of code disappear. Typing is sometimes slow, etc. This could be somewhat alleviated on a faster computer (I'm using a slightly dated MacBook... but, you know, we are talking TEXT EDITING here. lol)

Anyway, the code completion and "intellisense" is impressive and would be a big time saver if the program wasn't so infuriating to just type and edit code with.

I don't really want to run Parallels or VMware when I get back to Unity for some serious work, but I'll probably have to. Monodevelop on the Mac is taking a long time. Understandable as I think it's just one guy doing the Mac version, but it's just not ready yet --for me anyway.

10. tewe76

tewe76

In fact, I'm a guest :roll: , i didn't start this thread :)

11. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

DXSTUDIO which also uses javascript implement intellisense
    I dont think it is a big issue
    It is really a useful tool , in my opinion, for time saving

12. GMS0012

GMS0012

you are totally right..

it is a great improvement for the workflow and many of the windows game engines does have this feature...

dxstudio
    shiva
    blade3d
    visual3d.net

so i also hope to see this soon in Unity

13. CogCode

CogCode

Sorry, it was 6:30 in the morning, so I wasn't exactly at my most observant. :D

14. CogCode

CogCode

Interesting. I haven't been experiencing any of those problems. But I will watch out for them now that I know about them.

15. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

autocomplete or intellisense for unity javascript would be very very cool

i always have been a C# person, but unity javascript somehow feels more comfortable and easier for me, the only thing i miss is the intellisense of visual studio when you use C# .. unity javascript with intellisense in a text editor would be hitting new levels of baddasery 8)

definately would rock

16. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

17. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

18. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

I put it up there. The grid on the bottom is filled in, but someone will probably want to add more detail.

Remember Wiki is for everyone to update. :) It's nice to announce your update and then those involved can change it if they want. Wikis are more efficient than other methods because you don't have to ask. :D

19. asclark

asclark

I was wondering if anyone might share the locations of the iphone and regular Unity3D assembly directories to be used with MonoDevelop's code completion. Thanks in advance.