Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

Intellisense Not Working with Visual Studio (Fix)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DavidG_Fenex, Feb 27, 2020.

1. HipDevelop

HipDevelop

Thank you !

2. winwithsugi

winwithsugi

Thank u, Bro!

3. TheBajaBust

TheBajaBust

Edit>preferences literally does nothing when I click on it. Any fixes for this? I've tried reinstalling. 2019.4.9f1

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

And now it's not again. Same deal, no idea what's changed.

Probably a coincidence, but I was trying to change Editor scripts both times I noticed this was busted.

5. BHAVYA_PRASHANT

BHAVYA_PRASHANT

Works like a charm. Thanks alot!

6. Numaest

Numaest

Thank you! Worked perfectly.

7. celechii

celechii

this thread has helped me a bunch when this came up in other projects but for some reason this time none of the solutions here fixed it? using unity 2019.4 LTS, vs code on mac, the C# extension n all of the unity extensions recommended, tried regenerating the project files, nothing worked this time.

going into vs code's settings n changing OmniSharp: Use Global Mono from auto to always fixed it for future ref :)

m0guz, abgrac and yust like this.
  8. fizzd

fizzd

Had problems when migrating to a new PC, the first post in this thread did the trick. Thank you! Previously on my old PC the problems were solved with downgrading, but I guess that's not a problem any more.

9. puneeth_allapu

puneeth_allapu

I can't thank you enough fir this. It totally worked!!!!!!!

10. renamed

renamed

This really worked for me. Thank you so much!!!

11. brainstuck

brainstuck

Thank You!!

12. amansingh213as

amansingh213as

Thanks Man it worked for me , I was having issue for color coding and Intellisense , and it solved it my colors are on point ,,,,,,Thankssssss

13. Cardeia

Cardeia

This helped, thanks!

14. hentaimasuta

hentaimasuta

Thank you

15. yust

yust

This is what fixed it for me! Thank you!

16. OneZero77

OneZero77

17. OneZero77

OneZero77

thank you so much <3

18. Twebbers

Twebbers

Greatly appreciated.

If Visual Studio is the oficial solution for Unity then this needs to always work, I know 3 (small) companies who stopped working with this engine becuase of bs like this. It used to be so much better when monodevelop was around.

19. mscheschy

mscheschy

Hi I am using Unity 2020.1.0f1, VS 2019 Community 16.7.4, Unity Visual Studio 2.0.3 Plugin installed, External Script Editor is Visual Studio 2019. When i try to open the Script nothing happens. If I switch the External Script Editor to Open by file extension the Script opens in VS but intellisense don't works.

I have no idea what i could do to make it work.

20. saltysquid

saltysquid

I'm in the same boat as mscheschy - Using:

Unity 2020.1.0b4
    Visual Studio Community 2019 16.7.4

I've installed the "Game development with Unity" extension and I have Visual Studio 2019 (Community) set as my default editor. When I click on a script VS 2019 opens just fine but I have no intellisense and no debug with Unity option. This worked perfectly a month ago until I upgraded my Visual Studio version.

I also noticed that if I open the Unity Hub (version 2.4.0) and try to "installs > add modules" and add Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 - the installer runs and completes but when I go back to modules it's still unselected as if it never installed. May be a clue as to what's going on.

Edit: I should note that Visual Studio Code DOES have intellisense - I just very much prefer VS 2019 over VS Code.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  21. John_MSFT

John_MSFT

Microsoft Employee

@mscheschy @saltysquid Thanks for sharing this info. I certainly want to help resolve this.

Can you use the Help > Report a Problem menu in VS to file these issues? In the meantime, I'll investigate what I can on my end.

22. quintonleongnam

quintonleongnam

23. chemoduck64

chemoduck64

I am new to Unity and programming in general. I was having problems with intellisense not working but I resolved that inside the Unity "preferences" by setting VS to primary Script Editor. Everything seems to work now, except when I type something out like a float variable, I don't get a color change on the numbers and the scripts are not working as well so I know something is not working but I have no idea what is wrong. Even if I download a premade controller script, it still blacks them out.Please help! I have included images of my settings and what the code looks like. I am using VS community 2019 and Unity version 2019.4.11

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  24. tutaBugarin

tutaBugarin

I legit searched the whole web, tried 43 methods(yes, I counted), nothing worked... I now installed VS Code and the Unity Debugger and it works very good!
    You saved me!:D

25. Lumpazy

Lumpazy

yay. i looked for hours at c# intellisense and packages / reinstalls etcetcetc ..
    This worked. totally mysterious.
    Thank you

26. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

problem fixed here :

27. A_Sloane

A_Sloane

Thanks man ! It solves the problem with me after installing the last version (Unity 2020.1.8f1)

28. LeFuji

LeFuji

This just saved my day. I just reseted my windows and it was physically painfull to write every function inherited from a Unity Asset. This little guide should pop up after a fresh Unity installation.

29. BRSHR

BRSHR

it works. thank you. i have back intellisense

30. Tiglath

Tiglath

Fantastic. Thanks

31. YOJIMMY

YOJIMMY

Thx a lot, it really me to code as a beginner !!

32. Warp-Lemon

Warp-Lemon

Thank you. I forgot to click the "Regenerate project files". It worked as charm.

33. UrluBerlu

UrluBerlu

So happy I ended in this thread. You, sir, have saved my day!
    Thank you so much!

34. reeseschultz

reeseschultz

Linux user here. To my knowledge, I have everything configured properly, but for some reason, now all the csproj files Unity (2020.1.10) generates are littered with
    <ReferenceOutputAssembly>false</ReferenceOutputAssembly>
    . The result is that non-standard packages such as Entities, the new input system, UI elements, Mathematics, TMPro, etc., lose the IntelliSense goodness I've come to rely upon. So I've just been running this after cd'ing into my affected projects:

sed -i -e 's/<ReferenceOutputAssembly>false<\/ReferenceOutputAssembly>/<ReferenceOutputAssembly>true<\/ReferenceOutputAssembly>/g' *.csproj

That solves my problem for now, but I'd really appreciate if someone from Unity could fix this. Looks like this issue is related to what was discussed in this post regarding 2019.3.12, where an editor script was created to perform the same replacement.

35. abgrac

abgrac

@celechii , OmniSharp's Use Global Mono ALWAYS solution is working like a charm. Thank you!

36. Haverstaken

Haverstaken

It worked! Thanks

37. cficara

cficara

I tried everything in this post with no luck.

Weird, because the project was working fine yesterday, and now is not detected properly on Visual Studio Community 2019. Also weird, because other project (same Unity 2019 LTS version, same VSC 2019) is working perfectly fine.

However, I got it fixed. On solution explorer, there was a yellow box saying something in the lines of "for best results, is recommended that you install blah blah blah". Clicked it and it installed a 3.3 GB package for deploying .NET apps (?)

After doing that, everything worked perfectly fine. Something else to try if nothing else works.

38. Alex_May

Alex_May

Please can somebody explain to me why this keeps happening? What is happening between updates of Unity and Visual Studio that keeps breaking this functionality?

39. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Yea, something is always happening to Unity. It's why so many people I know will remain on old, nearly deprecated versions of the engine just to avoid the hassle. Since updated to 2019.4.13f1, I can't even click the reference in the script field to jump to the location of the script in the project view.

To test things, I installed a fresh version of 2019.4.12f1 and it all works perfectly fin in that last release. Oddly enough, I even installed both version on my test laptop that is pretty much a fresh Windows 10 install that I use to ensure something I'm working on isn't bugged due to something extra I may have installed on my development rig. On that laptop, 2019.4.13f1 is doing the exact same thing where as 2019.4.12f1 isn't, so there is some issue between versions. I've sent a report to Unity about it.

40. Hakohn

Hakohn

Perfect, thanks a lot buddy!

AaronVictoria likes this.
  41. Mike_Jansen

Mike_Jansen

I Just got a new laptop, and Unity 2019.4.14f1 personal was one the first downloads I installed. It installed VS 2019 Community, but like everyone else here, when I opened my first script, intellisense would not recognize any of the Unity libraries or references. I've tried every fix I've seen here, and still no luck. I've even gone as far as to uninstall and reinstall both of them. I'm pretty new to c# work, but I've done tones of work with VB.Net in Visual Studio, and it seems like the IDE isn't loading the references to the unity DLL files. Any idea how to manually check it? Or Fix this highly annoying problem?

42. glreese

glreese

Where is this setting (OmniSharp) in VS Studio? I am on 2019.4.1 and nothing has worked. I have tried most of the suggestions... huge waste of time. Intellisense just stopped working...

43. John_MSFT

John_MSFT

Microsoft Employee

If you're experiencing issues with Visual Studio and none of the suggestions here work, please click my name on the left and choose Start a Conversation to send me a message. I'll be happy to help troubleshoot and unblock your progress.

That also helps me get the chance to better understand the scenario and issue you're having so I can collect that data and get it fixed. Thanks in advance!

Alex_May likes this.
  44. Jmicro

Jmicro

Thanks... Thanks so Amazing... Searching for 2 Days...
    Why is Unity Installing this Programm but not doing it on its own...

45. rogodoy

rogodoy

46. rudynjeujip0

rudynjeujip0

Thanks very much.
    Worked for me.

47. paulmcconico

paulmcconico

Thank you!

48. Clivey

Clivey

After doing the first post it still wasn't working in Visual Studio 2019.
    When loading from Unity, I hadn't noticed the Solution Explorer view had gone ( I just thought i'd hidden it)
    What fixed it for me was got to View Solution Explorer and then I saw something I should have noticed, a warning about incompatibility. So I right clicked the project and selected fix the issue and it all came back.

49. Panicrust

Panicrust

It worked! Thank you so much :3

50. d3adlyjoker

d3adlyjoker

Thanks dude, a lifesaver

unityunity