Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Bug Intellisense/Code Complete not working with DOTs...

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Mr_AW, Jun 11, 2023.

1. Mr_AW

Mr_AW

So, now that DOTs is up and running in a full release I wanted to get into it and see what it is all about. However, I have run into an issue right out of the gate. As soon as I start working through the new elements of the entities package I immediately noticed that I do not get any form of code completion. Take this for instance:

upload_2023-6-11_12-26-37.png

If I create a new system I have to manually type out all of the information, and Visual Studio does not inform that this struct needs the three standard methods for an ISystem: OnCreate, OnDestroy, and OnUpdate. Furthermore, there is no code snippet suggestion to add them, and Intellisense does not code complete when I am adding them manually:

upload_2023-6-11_12-29-27.png

I know the DOTs components are new, and I know there are going to be issues, but without code complete and snippets and just general error warnings it will be extremely difficult to learn this new workflow. I have tried all of the standard stuff for fixing Intelliesense and nothing works.

Should I assume this is just how it is until things get sorted out? Is anyone else having this problem? Because I know NOT everyone is having this issue, as I have seen plenty of YouTube material where people successfully have code competition and error warnings when working with DOTs...

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unfortunately this appears to be working as intended on the part of Visual Studio.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/default-interface-method-code-completion-and-quick-fixes.1443247/

3. Mr_AW

Mr_AW

My friend, THANK YOU! I was going crazy trying to figure this out! I'm glad it wasn't some boneheaded mistake on my part.

So any ideas on an IDE that supports code complete or code snippets for the ECS package? I'm not thrilled about trying to learn this stuff without assistance from the IDE...and I cannot afford the time to wait for a solution to be added to VS. Any extra help would be great!

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Rider is the only one I know. Right-click -> Show Context Actions -> Generate Code -> Overriding Members. Those first three steps can be skipped with the default shortcut Alt-Insert. You can skip all of those steps if you add a custom shortcut in File -> Settings -> Keymap.

upload_2023-6-13_8-46-56.png