Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel 9900K, 8700K or 2700x ryzen: game development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by senseiGoodie, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Hi everybody,

I have some experience in Unity3D, C# and app development with this engine, and now I need to buy a new desktop.

The main question I would like to ask you is what you think it would be better for game development, VR and normal games, in Unity: 8700k or 2700x. maybe 9900K but it is a really hot CPU...and for 600€...

This will also involved working with other graphical design, modelling and rendering tools.
    GPU will be 1080ti or 2080.

I have been thinking about ryzen, due to the high number of cores and threads, and multicore features Unity has introduced in last updates, but when coding I do not know if I would use them...who knows.

On the other hand, if I sometimes play games, I would also have a good performance, but the main objective is to save time when compiling, rendering, baking, etc. and works fluently.

What is the best CPU, among the ones I have mentioned above, for game development in Unity?

Thanks.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Currently the best CPU is the Intel 9900K. The Ryzen series was only king for the relatively short time period that they had more cores than Intel. Once Intel caught up in core count their higher IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) won the race for them.

That said the 2700X is fantastic value (and realistically it's only behind by 20%) and you will have an upgrade path to the 3000 series when it launches in Spring whereas Intel often requires a new motherboard for new generations.

Both companies are excellent for gaming. You only truly need the additional power from Intel when you start playing with refresh rates beyond the normal 60 Hz. Stepping into 1440p and 4K territory tends to quickly eliminate the advantage of choosing Intel.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    RavenOfCode, dogzerx2 and vakabaka like this.
  3. vakabaka

vakabaka

let the battle begin :eek: I am waiting for zen2 (ryzen3000) and for now as Ryiah have said - both ok.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The AMD should be the best performance per dollar, the Intel i9 the best for performance overall. In a few years even though the specific CPUs will change, that relationship will most likely still be the same, just like how it was a few years ago as well.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  5. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Thanks dude.

I was going to buy 9900K, but hot temperatures reviews show are making me choose between 2700x and 8700K...

I have read AMD is going to launch threadripper 2920x and 2990x with dynamic local mode, I can wait a bit more, but i need pc as soon as possible.

So, in your opinion, overall, AMD 2700x over 8700K for game development and other graphical design tools?

6. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

I suppose, but i9 9900K they say it gets really hot?

I would do the same if waiting was an option, but i need a desktop asap.

Thanks for recent and following comments.

7. Gametyme

Gametyme

The 9900k is almost twice the price of the 2700x and it runs hot. I have the 2700x and I love it.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Do you not have enough room for a CPU cooler designed for the i9? I don't understand why this is a concern otherwise.

9. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

And what about game development in UE4 or playing games?

I do not know if you have had the opportunity to work in UE4 and play games in both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Thanks dude.

10. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

I do not want to use liquid cooling and most reviews recommend using it for this CPU. I prefer air coolers.

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The i9 does not in any way require liquid cooling.

12. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Yeah, but some reviews claim it gets really hot, above 80ºC and sometimes over 100ºC with full load. I do not know how that will impact motherboard lifetime or what could happen when summer arrives and ambient temperature rise.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Hot temps are very much expected at this point since Intel is stuck on 14nm and they're using an architecture that was never designed to go beyond 4C/8T. You would basically have to pair the CPU with a good air cooler (eg Be Quiet or Noctua) and that just drives the price up even further.

By comparison AMD's stock cooler is actually good enough to use if you didn't want to invest in an aftermarket air cooler.

Threadripper is a beast but the top tier models have lower clocks per core. Unity's lightmapper will still benefit from it massively because it's very heavily threaded, but just about everything else will suffer from it including gaming.

Yes.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  14. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Thanks dude. As you point out, lower IPC is the problema of threadripper.

80% AMD 2700x vs 20% Intel 8700K...I will decide in the following weeks what to choose.

I am going to buy a bequiet cooler for this new build.

Do you think a be quiet dark rock 4 would be enough to refresh 9900K without problems?

...i am neither an expert nor an amateur in hardware world, but as far as I have read, it seems Intel has been in a hurry to launch these new 9th gen processors, and although they have soldering, the temperatures for 9900K seems to be so high that the addition of soldering has been a must.

Thanks.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. It's rated to handle heat twice as hot as the 9900K.

16. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

So between 2700x and 9900K without considering money difference?

Thanks.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

The 9900K. Only reasons to consider the 2700X are the price and the upgrade path.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  18. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Ok, thanks, I will consider it. Between 8700K and 2700X without considering price?

Thanks.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

20. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

21. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Use a Noctua heatsink and fan combo. For example, look at the Noctua NH-D15S combo. That is an air cooler that performs as effectively as most closed loop liquid coolers.

22. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Definitely the Intel i9-9900k.

23. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, the i7-8700k runs cool. The i9-9900k runs hotter, but it makes sense given the additional cores and clock speed using the same 14nm manufacturing process.

24. Gametyme

Gametyme

The 2700x has no problems gaming. I've only played around in unreal and its just as fast as using unity. The last intel cpu I used was the 7700k.

The 2700x comes with an excellent stock cooler.

Imo, the 9900k is not worth the price vs the 2700x.

25. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you want that last procents of single core perf I would say it is. (I own 3 2700x so I'm not a intel fanboy :D)

26. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

I know it does worth the price and it is a joke you pay a great sum for a CPU and need to pay attention to what cooler you mount for this CPU in order to avoid temp. problems.

It gives me the impression they have built it at the limit of 14nm, and soldering has been the unique option to handle temperatures.

Are you referring to stock cooler? What is its relation with last procents due to single core perf?

Thanks everybody, dudes.

27. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You said its not worth the price compared to the 2700x. The single core perf is alot higher though, its not linear to the price, but you always need to pay premium prices for those last procent. The stock cooler is good on the 2700x, but who uses stock coolers? I use a custom water loop

28. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Without considering price? What do you think about 9900K, performance and temperature?

Thanks. dude

29. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We talk a fairly low price compared to what a 8 core Intel would have costed a few years ago. The 1800x was priced similar when released, at least here in Sweden.

I think Intel is stretching the 14nm architecture more than what is optimal. But at the and of the day it outperformances the 2700x at a lower TDP. My custom loop will have no problem cooling it. Though I will stick to my 2700x until next gen AMD 7nm or what ever Intel have at the time.

30. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

And what motherboard do you recommend for 2700x, also considering a possible upgrade to next AMD 7nm CPUs? AS ROCK TAICHI ULTIMATE?

Thanks,

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

There's a rumor floating around that they're going to just give up on 10nm. :p

32. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah I heard that :D haha.

33. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I reused my 370x board from my 1800x build a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Havent looked into newer boards. I have a TUF x470 board for my other build. Cheap stuff. nothing I would recomend

34. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Thanks I am looking this one:
    Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 Wifi
    They say memory configuration and overclock is easier than others.

35. Player7

Player7

intel pricing is just insane and not worth it imo, my last upgrade was intel, if I were to upgrade now I'd go AMD, 2700x with mobo and ram is still a much better pricing than the equivalent intel path.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/10/22/intel-kills-off-the-10nm-process/ yeah maybe it is true.. either way AMD seems to be on the rise :D

Gametyme likes this.
  36. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have had major problems with Gigabyte in the past, I only buy Asus these days, or Asrock

37. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

The memory is Ryzens achilles heel, its just too darn picky about memory. We have bough 5 2700x with the same memory G.Skill 3200 here at the office, and none can run it at 3200 and all 5 works on different speeds. We can even move the memory and we cant use the same speed.

38. Player7

Player7

Well good thing I'm not upgrading then.. maybe next year AMD will have ironed out those kinda issues.

39. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It did improve some between 1800x and 2700x but still not good enough

40. Ryiah

Ryiah

Then the year after that they'll start over with DDR5. :p

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  41. elbows

elbows

I've had a 9900k since last Saturday, I love it, although I am well aware that it was not the best value option.

In regards heat, a lot of reviews obsess over this stuff because they focus on overclocking quite a bit. I dont care about overclocking yet, and I got a nice cool case too, so I skimped on the heatsink a bit. I 'only' got a Noctua U12S. Under most circumstances the temperatures are absolutely fine. I did start to get much closer to the limits when doing certain operations that use all cores, with the most notable example so far being when I was running the unity fps game sample for the first time, during the stage where it was importing all of the image files. In that situation I was starting to hit the 80C range, but under most other circumstances I was in the 40-65C range. This caused me no concern, but certainly demonstrated to me that if I actually wanted to overclock this chip, I should get a beefier heatsink.

I havent done many comparisons in regards performance of this chip for Unity compared to my previous 6700K system. The one figure I can give is that when importing a new project using HDRP from github for the first time, on old system it would typically take just over 5 minutes to get everything running, including compiling the compute shaders. When I tried this with the 9900K, it took about 3 and a half minutes instead. I imagine I would get a bigger difference if I timed the initial fps game sample import on both systems, or if I built a HDRP project without shader variant stripping, but I havent had time to do such comparisons yet and maybe never will. I'm also using slightly faster RAM on the 9900K and a somewhat better M.2 drive, and the case cooling of my 6700K system is much worse than that of my 9900K system.

jashan likes this.
  42. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

And you have checked that memories are included in QVL list of your motherboard? Some table like this one, i suppose https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi Ultimate/index.asp#MemoryPR

I will check that my memories are included in this table and hope AMD or I, manually in last case, will set up memories to 2933mhz at least.

Any other advice? Thanks.

Thanks for your contribution. So, 9900K, with an air cooling such as Be quiet dark rock pro 4 or rock 4, will make me not wonder about temperatures with this CPU? It was going to be my first option.

Have you tested temperatures gaming or under more heavy loads? Thanks for your comments.

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

Maybe we should just have a pinned "hardware questions" thread considering how often these threads are coming up.

44. Sushi3D

Sushi3D

I really wanna go for a 2700x but I've heard they crash/BSOD like crazy.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

You've been listening to the Intel fanboys, haven't you? :p

46. Sushi3D

Sushi3D

Maybe, it's just scary for me because when I order they have to ship it to the end of the world and if I get a broken CPU then I have no way to return that.

47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Honestly the only problems that existed were the early memory compatibility ones and those were almost entirely limited to the first generation of chips, but even then it wasn't a matter of systems being unable to boot. It was just a case of the rated memory speeds not being obtainable.

48. Gametyme

Gametyme

At first it used to crash more than my old 7700k system but since the last bios update months ago I haven’t had a single crash. I’m currently using it more than ever.

49. Gametyme

Gametyme

I’m using the stock cooler. Most 2700x aren’t going to be stable pass 4.3 which the stock cooler handles very well.
    This is what I’m using.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C5JKH91?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

50. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

2933 is bare minimum, under that and your CPU will be held back, above that and you start to see smaller gains. Yeah my memories are on the list. Not the ones at the office though. But the fact the same memory peform so different on different machines with same hardware does tell you something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.