Search Unity

Question Integration of 2D physics, Relation between Physics and Tiny

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by Naotagrey, May 18, 2021.

1. Naotagrey

Naotagrey

Hey everyone, I started playing around in DOTS recently and have been learning a lot; however, I'm trying to integrate 2D physics for my project.
    I didn't see that they were integrated into two different branches of development (DOTS vs Project Tiny)

How does Unity Physics relate to 2D Entities Physics? Are they developed in parallel or is that essentially the same core implemented differently?

Because I tried adding the Unity.U2D.Entities.Physics by itself Package to my regular DOTS project and so far I'm failing to make collisions happen.

I manage to apply forces, changes velocities, etc, but I can't make collisions happen.
    I'm adding colliders through the PhysicsBlobAsset to entities but they don't collide with each other.
    I think I'm adding all necessary components as stated by the documentation, but maybe I'm missing something.

Does Unity.U2D.Entities.Physics requires me to implement collisions myself? Is there a fundamental incompatibility with the default DOTS package? Does it absolutely require other packages from Tiny?

I know it's all still in active development, but the documentation is confusing at times.

Any information, even remotely related to my point is welcomed, Thanks!

2. petarmHavok

petarmHavok

Unity Physics that we speak of here is a 3D physics engine. You can emulate 2D behavior by freezing one axis via joints, but it's not a real 2D engine. There is a 2D engine I've heard of built for Project Tiny, but I don't know much about it.