Search Unity

Integrating your game with other devs games! Would you like it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bravini, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Bravini

Bravini

Hello, since I was a kid I always wanted to make games that would intarect with other games, like why Link needs to go on a quest for the master sword on every game or why after beating mario 2 with 99 lives you start mario 3 with 2? Anyway, now that social games are all the rage, some companies make their own games interact in a way to stimulate the player to try their other games. But it's all closed into a small cluster of the same company.

What I propose is to integrate games of different developers/studios, bringing revenue and notoriety to all of them. :razz:

That could be accomplished on standalone games through a plugin that generates codes or a "master cash" to be used on any game that is part of the branch. On mobiles it would require a different plugin to run on the server side to generate the codes or cash and optionally it could download and show images with links of the games in the branch from a master server (not sure about this last one, it seens a bit risky to me).

I'm inclined to make this plugin and put it into the asset store for free, but I'd like to hear opinions and critics to improve this idea and check it's possibility of success.

2. mgear

mgear

sounds interesting.

3. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I like this idea. It's almost like Valve's Poker Night at the Inventory.

4. koen.pis

koen.pis

I like it, it this sounds like something I have been dreaming about as well. Or was it something I heard in on unite ...

5. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

The way I see it, to maintain concistency this plugin should be centered around user accounts and looks a lot like some of the features GameSpy and Steam offer (achievements and saves of multiple games logged on a single account). The missing piece is therefore to be able to see other games' achievements and stored values, then react to them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  6. Bravini

Bravini

I checked some of them for ideas ( Mochimedia, GameSpy, Valve) and to be sure I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, they are all very good distributers with clients ranging from indie to AAA. I obviously can't single handedly compete with that. And I'm not trying too. The plugin goal is to provide free advertisement for games that use it maintaining their possibility to also enroll in one of the above mentioned distributors so they receive both market visibility.

On the code generation scenario there's no need for a user account, being the server only used to load content as ads and refresh the code generator once in a while so older codes stop working to prevent users or bad intentioned devs from making lists of working codes.

On the cash scenario a user account would be needed thus needing a more robust server and the security of the system could be compromised if one of the games of the branch eventually have a loophole that allows players to get a extremely high score to turn to cash. Since probably it will be more used in small studios and indies, I'm uncomfortable on relying such security issues on them, so although the profile page and achievements such as of Valve's are a huge advantage, for now I'm considering the first scenario to be more doable.

I'd like to keep the plugin the more inclusive possible for all developers, but of course on both scenarios the games would need a regulation on Age Rating so you don't get an ad of "Cannibal Zombie Carnage" on your "Pancake Chef: the Rainbow Quest" game.

7. koen.pis

koen.pis

Your limiting your self with some of those statements, to beat upcoming competition it should be taken allot further then just advertising with quest. (video 33.50)

As for security, clients are evolving to be thin client again (not only games), in online mode more and more games depend on servers to the logic for them. This also means it's becoming acceptable to force/demand a active connection when playing games in specific modes (lets call it achievement mode). This is probably the only way to secure a system like this, from my point of view there is no way to make a client trustworthy.

Talk at 6.00
    Specifics at 20.10
    Overview at 33.50
    Unite Video: http://video.unity3d.com/video/944296/unite-10-keynote-part-2

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
unityunity