Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Integrating Kinect Azure

Discussion in 'VR' started by Quique-Martinez, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Hi there, I'm trying to make Kinect Azure work inside Unity as an unmanaged .dll without success. I can open the device, but not start it. Unfortunately, the device opens but it does not start, and the SDK is so closed that I cannot find what is going on.
    I would like to contact more people trying this.
    Cheers.

2. chrisatwork

chrisatwork

I have been looking at integrating azure Kinect into a unity project for a hackathon. I observed that building my own plugin dll that referenced k4a.dll worked for obtaining the installed device count. However, when starting the camera it consistently failed. After debugging k4a.dll setup steps, I determined that the depth engine dll was dynamically loaded when starting a depth stream. This dll was not getting found by the unity editor. But the workaround I found was that adding the depthengine_1_0.dll to the same directory as Unity.exe resulted in the dll being found by the editor/the depth stream starting correctly.

Fwiw, I haven't tested any of the other dlls in the sdk or standalone builds of my application. It may be that dlls in a assets/plugins directory get picked up correctly for a standalone build but aren't found by the editor. Also, most of the logic in k4a.dll is open source. The sdk also distributes s pdb sofor k4a.dll so you can obtain source for the appropriate release in the azure Kinect GitHub repo and obtain symbols from the sdk download to debug locally

3. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Thanks a lot, I had exactly the same problems that you describe. I have tried a lot of workarounds without success.
    I'm testing this right away al tell something.
    I'm afraid I'm no soo good programmed to dig inside this code ;)

4. mgear

mgear

5. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

I already use Kinect in Csharp, actually I am able to see and open the device from Unity, but cannot start it. The response form @crisatwork makes a lot of sense. I'll communicate my progress as soon as I test it.
    Thanks!

6. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Thanks @christianwork. I have run the editor version with your workaround as well as the binary without any special change.