Search Unity

Integrating custom servers.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by NotTimTam, Jan 8, 2019.

1. NotTimTam

NotTimTam

I am fine with paying unity's fees for data usage, that makes total sense. But I don't understand why there is a concurrent user limit if I am paying for all the users who won't be playing at the same time. Custom server integration seems like the best bet. I want to build a server, but was wondering how to integrate it into unet. (or whatever their new networking thing is) I don't want to re-program all the networking stuff in my game as I am not great at networking and got it all from a tutorial. I can build a server, but I just want unity matchmaking to use it instead. What do I need to install? (if this is even plausible)

THANKS!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you're referring to the deprecated Unity Multiplayer Service, the CCU limit is only for when your usage of the service is free during development of your game. Once you go live with your game the CCU limit is removed and you pay for your usage of the service. At least that is the last information I read when they weren't getting ready to schedule the service's termination.

3. NotTimTam

NotTimTam

How difficult will it be to integrate the new service. And how does one "go live"

4. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Unless it's changed, you need a Unity Pro license to go live, and the option to do so is in the management console.

I've no idea regarding the first question.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As far as I've read, the "new service" when ready will use dedicated servers rather than the previous relay service, and be a fancy front end for what you can already rent from Google cloud as far as virtual servers, with similar pricing. No idea how difficult it will be to integrate until some announcement on the topic.

6. NotTimTam

NotTimTam

thanks for the help guys.