Search Unity

Instead of blending....

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by AlbertoT, Nov 24, 2009.

1. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Hello

I want to make a " run to jump " animation but instead of blending a "run "and a "jump" animation I would prefer to complete the " run " animation until it reaches a certain frame , afterwards the "jump" animation starts
    Is it possible ?

thanks in advance

2. ZerkyWerky

ZerkyWerky

if you want my personal advice as an animator, think of spliting your run walk jog etc.. cycles with leading feets like run footLeft and run FootRight and call you animations sequentially (l-r-l-r etc..) and blend your run with the closest matching pose of your run to jump

e.g: if your propeling foot for your jump is the left one, logically, your run will end with the right foot. to give something like: run_footR blend to jump_footl and make 2 versions of this jump one for the footl and the footr.

it double up your stack of animation but it improve like crazy your animation quality and since your animation will be splitted, your blending will be more accurate, shorter and also more suitable to give you a nice blending because, if you to wait for your run to end to get something smooth, you will loose A LOT of responsiveness because if your animation take 16frames to play and you pressed jump at frame 1, then you will have a lag of 15f+ your jump beginning animation.. maybe another 3-4f so almost 1 second of response.. painfull! :( i love smooth animation but hate when it ovverride my reactivity.

my opinion :) hope it will help!!

3. magwo

magwo

Good advice. I work with a soccer game on my dayjob, and we spend sooo much time on this. It's very very delicate and difficult to get right. At the moment we favor responsiveness heavily before smoothness/correctness.. because essentially, nobody likes an unresponsive game. :)