Search Unity

Instantiating ScriptableObjects when a client connects.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Avo, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Avo

Avo

I'm working on a multiplayer game where the player controls multiple units. Each of the units has a list of scriptable objects that contain information about the ability and a method that triggers it. This works fine when the host tells a unit to trigger an ability however the moment a client tells a unit to trigger an ability I get the error message

Construct must be instantiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance method instead of new Construct.

I never attempt to instantiate any of the scriptable object derived abilities, all of them are assigned to my units through my inspector. I've been struggling with this for a while, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Avo

Avo

bump

3. Avo

Avo

I hate to bump again but I've been really struggling to find a solution to this. I might ditch the scriptable objects entirely.

4. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Maybe it’s a bug, I don’t know enough of networking to answer that, but also you’ve posted no code.

I wouldn’t ditch scriptable objects because they’re great for storing data. It makes it easily changeable without having to change code.

Is there any difference in handling between client and host of triggering an ability?