Search Unity

Instantiating prefabs causes errors

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by romanpinkel, Sep 12, 2019.

1. romanpinkel

romanpinkel

Hey,
    today Im really troubled...
    I habe a public prefab which should spawn a red capsule (I have put an prefab into the the inspector..)
    In the update Method Im trying to spawn it but just get an error:

this is the error message:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable myPrefab of JumpScript has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the myPrefab variable of the JumpScript script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.Object.Internal_InstantiateSingle (UnityEngine.Object data, UnityEngine.Vector3 pos, UnityEngine.Quaternion rot) <0x1d6ab5b0 + 0x00062> in <578b5b677e3045f586753155bc1864cb>:0
    UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original, UnityEngine.Vector3 position, UnityEngine.Quaternion rotation) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:202)
    UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate[T] (T original, UnityEngine.Vector3 position, UnityEngine.Quaternion rotation) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:276)
    JumpScript.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Roman/JumpScript.cs:27)

Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.K))
    2.         {
    3.             Debug.Log("K gedrückt");
    4.             // Instantiate at position (3, 3, 3) and zero rotation.
    5.             Instantiate(myPrefab, new Vector3(3, 3, 3), Quaternion.identity);
    6.         }

2. romanpinkel

romanpinkel

I solved the problem by just using another script...

Can I close this one somehow?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You should have solved it by assigning the myPrefab variable of the JumpScript script in the inspector.

And no, you can't close a thread. It's OK. Other people may learn from it.

Joe-Censored likes this.